Box Hill Practice Matches

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks DavSav.

No HFC on the paddock but a fair few showed up to watch. Good support, good to see

Bloos had a about a dozen listed players. No shortage of rubbish.

Good to hear see and hear BHH ruck Tom Goodwin take it up to Cam Wood. Wood gobbed off then got all shy.

Big Boy's brother had a run at FF and looked handy, Brandon Wood also caught my eye. Expect a big year from the stangas.

It may have been a practice match but the performance by the mighty Mustang Hawkers can't be overstated. The Carlton players I recognized were Rowe, Bootsma, Scotland, Buckley, Casboult, Wood, Cachia, Graham and White plus our key play maker Sam Iles didn't play. The first quarter was pure excitement with very good run and carry football combined with defensive pressure. The second quarter was all about a young side withstanding the "inevitable" strong comeback. The third quarter started as a repeat of the first quarter and we kicked 5.3 to 1.1 before they scored the last 3.1. I listened to Marco Bello's 3/4 time address before heading to the GP thinking it would take a great effort for our VFL players to outlast a team with so many AFL listed players.

The most pleasing aspect for me was watching Luke Andrews and Michael Thompson playing good tough footy after missing most of last season with injuries. The recruits to play were Ayden Kennedy, Peter Mcvoy, Joseph Fisher and Jordan Walker and they all showed something. The two to stand out were Kennedy who was very solid as a key defender and Fisher who looked an exciting prospect as an attacking back flanker.

Saw it mentioned somewhere they have a practice match tomorrow (Friday). It's not listed anywhere, so perhaps it's an intra-club.

24 was Dylan Vizzari and his tackle on Boxer was very strong. They both went to ground and Boxer was a little shaken. They helped each other to their feet and Boxer gave Dylan a pat on the head. Mutual respect and great sportsmanship. Some of the combined ball movement by Andrews, O'Donnell and Wood through the centre of the ground was very good. We have a lot to look forward to in 2014.

I can't wait for next Saturday at Burbank Oval, Williamstown with the development team playing at 10:00am and the seniors at 1:00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back