Movie Box office flops or panned films that you liked

Remove this Banner Ad

'Pay it forward' was on TV last night...you may recall it at the time as being Hunt-Spacey-Osmont's peak of their career cash in...I think it didn't do very well at the time....but * me its sad...

Reviews for the film were generally mixed, although Spacey, Hunt, and Osment's performances in the film were universally praised.
Rotten Tomatoes rated the film with 40% based on 127 reviews with a consensus saying, "Pay It Forward has strong performances from Spacey, Hunt, and Osment, but the movie itself is too emotionally manipulative and the ending is bad." Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times gave the film 2.5 stars out of a possible 4 stating, "With a cleaner story line, the basic idea could have been free to deliver. As it is, we get a better movie than we might have, because the performances are so good: Spacey as a vulnerable and wounded man; Hunt as a woman no less wounded in her own way, and Osment, once again proving himself the equal of adult actors in the complexity and depth of his performance. I believed in them and cared for them. I wish the movie could have gotten out of their way." Entertainment Weekly's Lisa Schwarzbaum gave it a "D" grade, calling it "reprehensible" for using "shameless cliches of emotional and physical damage" and then "blackmailing audiences into joining the let's-be-nice 'movement'"[5] in order to be transparent Oscar bait.

Anyones thoughts on 'Basket Case' or 'The Toxic Avenger'...

Extremely criticised but only by people with zero tollerance for campiness I think.

I have never seen the much-maligned Batman & Robin from 1997, that starred George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Alicia Silverstone, Arnold Schwartzenegger and Uma Thurman.

Is this film in the "So Bad It's Good" category like the campy 1960s Batman TV series & made-for-TV movies starring Burt Ward and Adam West, or is it just plain bad?

It's dreadful schlock, can't say anything else.

'Pay it forward' was on TV last night...you may recall it at the time as being Hunt-Spacey-Osmont's peak of their career cash in...I think it didn't do very well at the time....but **** me its sad...

Reviews for the film were generally mixed, although Spacey, Hunt, and Osment's performances in the film were universally praised.
Rotten Tomatoes rated the film with 40% based on 127 reviews with a consensus saying, "Pay It Forward has strong performances from Spacey, Hunt, and Osment, but the movie itself is too emotionally manipulative and the ending is bad." Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times gave the film 2.5 stars out of a possible 4 stating, "With a cleaner story line, the basic idea could have been free to deliver. As it is, we get a better movie than we might have, because the performances are so good: Spacey as a vulnerable and wounded man; Hunt as a woman no less wounded in her own way, and Osment, once again proving himself the equal of adult actors in the complexity and depth of his performance. I believed in them and cared for them. I wish the movie could have gotten out of their way." Entertainment Weekly's Lisa Schwarzbaum gave it a "D" grade, calling it "reprehensible" for using "shameless cliches of emotional and physical damage" and then "blackmailing audiences into joining the let's-be-nice 'movement'"[5] in order to be transparent Oscar bait.

I remember getting taken to see it at the cinema by my Dad. He also took me to see 'What Dreams May Come' about a year or two earlier. Kind of heavy, depressing films for a primary school kid to see. Might need to give it a re-watch.

I remember getting taken to see it at the cinema by my Dad. He also took me to see 'What Dreams May Come' about a year or two earlier. Kind of heavy, depressing films for a primary school kid to see. Might need to give it a re-watch.

Did WDreams May come'...wow the only time I have seen that was at the cinema in 1998...immensely sad IIRC...wouldn't mine seeing it again actually...this was like Cuba G follow up to 'Jerry McGuire'...high expectations and I think it was kind of met with 'meh'. I liked it but I am a sentimental sap when it comes to death and movies...eg GHOST.

Does Superman Returns fall within this category? If so I will go with that.
I see its flaws but always enjoy watching it.

Loved Superman Returns, Bryan Singer said it was suppose to be part 3 of the Superman films.

Superman
Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut
Superman Returns

Ignoring Superman III and Superman IV

He should've rebooted it instead of continuing the film from the old ones and ignoring the shitty Superman films.

Another underrated film was Ang Lee's Hulk with Eric Bana. It was too smart for the audience who expect a big action film instead of a phycological thriller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind seeing Tim Burton's version of Superman with Nic Cage before the production was cancelled.

Here are the pre production photos. Looks very dark.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422287267.467184.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422287289.717333.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422287304.086203.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422287321.184646.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422287335.217925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422287350.154566.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422287363.718613.jpg

Superman 4 was butchered by the production company who apparently slashed heaps of the budget during filming! Jon Cryer reckons that Reeve told him before it was finished that it was gunna be pox

Well they got what they paid for. Cannon made cheap action films and were well-known for doing so. Superman 4 was probably over-budget for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back