• Brad - Neutral

Votes: 76 21.7%
  • Stephen - Fremantle supporter

Votes: 45 12.9%
  • Brad - Hawthorn supporter

Votes: 59 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I will type this slowly so do try to keep up.

You stated that S.Hill was the first Freo bloke tagged each week.

I said no actually Barlow and Fyfe are tagged first.

Do try to stay on topic.

Which is untrue but carry on.

Do try to stay on topic.
Barlow isn't that damaging. Fyfe would out-body a tagger around the ball & out-mark them on the outside.
Hill is a damaging footballer & a tagger can have an impact against him, so he's the first one to tag

Fyfe and Hill probably share the tag 50/50. TazHawk, when has Barlow ever been tagged? Mundy might get tagged once or twice but generally it will be split between Fyfe and Hill.

I think teams are learning it's impossible to tag Fyfe so Hill will probably cop more of the tag this year than Fyfe.

Do try to stay on topic.
The better player hardly ever gets the tag.

Hawthorn: I Smith over Mitchell/Hodge/Lewis
Essendon: Stanton
Brisbane: Hanley/Rich

etc.

Hill gets tagged, maybe more than Fyfe. But Barlow never gets tagged.

Was that the game where he had 6 contested possessions, and 0 clearances?

Mate Brad Hills Job is clearly as an outside wingman, If he is getting high numbers of contested possession and clearances, we are clearly not utilizing his strengths or our game plan is turning to s**t.

Shane Tuck got alot of clearances and contested possessions but how damaging was he. In this day, fast players with skills that can run all day are what can win you matches. Clarko agree's, seeing as he has drafted 3 of the best 5 runners in the AFL.

More to football then contested possessions.

No Stephen has been tagged first basically from his second season by the majority of clubs.

Biggest myth in footy.

Stephen sometimes gets a player running with him, but rarely the #1 stopper for a whole game.

Gets tagged about as much as Issac Smith does.

Considering at the same age Stephen had comparable, and better stats, in most areas than Brad, despite playing on a team that went 9-13, so not playing in the best team in the league, it's a very big call to assume Brad will catch Stephen.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=3671&tid2=9&pid2=3109&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O
Not sure if you are reading this correct, Brad has Stephen covered in most stats when comparing at the same age.

I know all the Freo fans will go on about how much Stephen Hill gets tagged in a midfield that has Mundy, Barlow and Fyfe though.

Not sure if you are reading this correct, Brad has Stephen covered in most stats when comparing at the same age.

I know all the Freo fans will go on about how much Stephen Hill gets tagged in a midfield that has Mundy, Barlow and Fyfe though.

Matters little, you Hawks fans are saying Bradley is a better play now & that clearly is just not true.

So are you telling me he doesn't get tagged?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm reading it as Brad gets a few more uncontested possessions (in a team that's way better than Stephens, in a higher possession footy style overall), but Stephen beats him in goals, clearances, contested possessions, and one percenters, (you know the kind of important stuff) which is ironic considering Stephen used to get knocked for being a soft outside player. I wonder what that makes Brad?

I'm reading it as Brad gets a few more uncontested possessions (in a team that's way better than Stephens, in a higher possession footy style overall), but Stephen beats him in goals, clearances, contested possessions, and one percenters, (you know the kind of important stuff) which is ironic considering Stephen used to get knocked for being a soft outside player. I wonder what that makes Brad?

Bradley Hill is an outside midfielder. He is used as a 'link up' player for Hawthorn. His role isn't to crash packs, it's to provide us with run and carry threw the midfield and that's something he's exceptional at. As evidenced by his performances in the 2013 & 2014 finals series. He may not be as good as his brother and he probably won't ever be, but he is already a damn good player too in his own right.

Bradley Hill is an outside midfielder. He is used as a 'link up' player for Hawthorn. His role isn't to crash packs, it's to provide us with run and carry threw the midfield and that's something he's exceptional at. As evidenced by his performances in the 2013 & 2014 finals series. He may not be as good as his brother and he probably won't ever be, but he is already a damn good player too in his own right.
So he averages 2.9 touches more a game than Stephen at the same age, give adjustments for total team touches Freo (in 2011) averaged 2.1 touches per person less than Hawthorn players in 2014. So accounting for that it's hard to say that Brad was better than Stephen in 2011, let alone Stephens performance in 2014.

Have consistently said i love Brad, and really rate him, want us to go hard from him when he's out of contract, but just that Stephen is better.

So what your saying is we should ignore the fact that we have Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Shiels ect as inside midfielders, and move Brad Hill (Who is a winger) into the square, ignoring his skillset (which is blistering pace, endurance, and amazing delivery into F50) to try and get him to win clearances (that our other inside players currently are very capable of winning) to allow him to measure up on your criteria on what makes a good footballer?

So what your saying is we should ignore the fact that we have Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Shiels ect as inside midfielders, and move Brad Hill (Who is a winger) into the square, ignoring his skillset (which is blistering pace, endurance, and amazing delivery into F50) to try and get him to win clearances (that our other inside players currently are very capable of winning) to allow him to measure up on your criteria on what makes a good footballer?
You don't seem to comprehend. What i'm saying is that at the same age they were equivalent players in terms of the adjusted stats, and you'd be hard pressed to argue that Brad was better at the same age. Stephen is clearly better now.

You don't seem to comprehend. What i'm saying is that at the same age they were equivalent players in terms of the adjusted stats, and you'd be hard pressed to argue that Brad was better at the same age. Stephen is clearly better now.
Brad Hill would be 90% of the player that Stephen is presently, and is younger. No way he is "clearly" better. He's probably ahead, but there isn't a lot in it, and if Brad keeps improving he is every chance to square it.

And I do comprehend what your saying. Its that Stephen had more contested possessions & clearances at an equivilent age, however we have never used Brad in that role, so i don't understand how you base your case on this, because brads role is that of an outside winger. We also don't create many contests because our game plan is that of kicking accurately and maintaining possession, which is why rarely any of our players - even Mitchell/Sewell types are ever in the top 20 in contested possessions AFL wide. Also Fremantle are a team who create many more contests due to their style of play, so your statistical analysis is so far off the mark its not funny.

You'd be better off comparing Champion data / Coaches votes ect, stats that measure impact, instead of talking about the lack of clearances/CP a purely outside player has.

Both are very good. Stephen is more well rounded, probably better skilled and quicker, however Brad is more agressive and confident, which goes a long long way.
Quicker is debatable, Brad has the superior endurance too.

However I agree on the other points and Stephen is the better player atm.

Really we should just revisit this is another few years.

Matters little, you Hawks fans are saying Bradley is a better play now & that clearly is just not true.

So are you telling me he doesn't get tagged?
No I'm saying Brad's stats indicate that at the same age Brad has been a better player than Stephen.

I'm also perplexed at how many guys you think teams allocate for tagging duties when you have midfielders such as Fyfe, Barlow & Mundy to worry about as well.

The stats you highlight the difference isn't that much. Brad being the soft outside player you think he is still averages the same # of tackles as Stephen. Also beats Stephen comfortably for average disposals. Considering he has spent a few games early on as the sub this is quite remarkable really. Brad is also a proven finals player, sadly at this point in Stephen's career he can't say the same thing. There are also other stats not measured here, like did you know Brad Hill was #1 in the AFL for effective disposal percentage for disposals in the attacking half of the ground?

So in my obviously biased opinion when comparing players at the same point in their careers Brad is ahead of Stephen.

Both are very good. Stephen is more well rounded, probably better skilled and quicker, however Brad is more agressive and confident, which goes a long long way.
Pace probably equal, skill, Stephen has a better longer penetrating kick, but Brad Hill was #1 in the AFL for effective kick percentage in the attacking half of the ground last year. Stephen is a better inside player but that is his job. Considering Fremantle setup their game around creating stoppages as part of their defensive strategy there isn't actually a lot between them when it comes to contested possession at the same point in their careers. Tackles are the same to this point as well which is impressive from Brad's point of view considering Fremantle as a team make more tackles than Hawthorn and Brad's role is a lot more outside than Stephens.

I do accept that Stephen is the better player currently, but I argue strongly that at the same point of their careers Brad is ahead.

No I'm saying Brad's stats indicate that at the same age Brad has been a better player than Stephen.

I'm also perplexed at how many guys you think teams allocate for tagging duties when you have midfielders such as Fyfe, Barlow & Mundy to worry about as well.

At the Same age (2009-11 vs 2012-14) the stats indicate that he has had 1 year that was statistically better (11 vs 14) when Stephens running was restricted during preseason leading into 2011. You are kidding yourself if playing in the best team in the comp during the compared years don't play any kinda part. But yes the stats do tell the whole story don't they.

Do you Hawks fans know something we don't because it's the same s**t from you guys! This from Stephen leading into the 2012 season, "I think if I do get tagged in games I've got to be able to beat them. I did get tagged a little bit last year so if that happens this year, hopefully I'm stronger and my fitness can help me out a bit more and I can overcome it."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...262763124?nk=1eea3adcbe7c0f336bdec0828992d794

Last edited:
Back