• Brad - Neutral

Votes: 76 21.7%
  • Stephen - Fremantle supporter

Votes: 45 12.9%
  • Brad - Hawthorn supporter

Votes: 59 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephen has 5 more tackles this year from less games.
He made 10 tackles against Brisbane - before this round's games Hill had more tackles and a higher tackles per game average (and S Hill has only played 1 game less). So I was right at the time of posting.

Is this still going on? As the poll shows and the coaches votes show, Stephens a better footballer

Of course he is. The way some people talk about Brad Hill though it's as if he's a spud.

Of course he is. The way some people talk about Brad Hill though it's as if he's a spud.

He's also 3 years and about 80 games behind. IF Stephen is ahead now it's close either way and with Brad's rapid development he is no certainty to stay in front too long either.

Of 98 players with more than 250 disposals, Brad has the 3rd highest uncontested possession percentage yet he is 79th in disposals per clanger with a clanger every 8 touches. The only player in the top 25 outside players with a worse disposal to clanger ratio is Rhyce Shaw.

Stephen is 67th in uncontested possession percentage and is 18th in disposals per clanger at 12 per clanger.

You're right that you'd watch him more closely than I do, I was just stating that I do watch his games.

I suppose what the above doesn't take in to account is if his clangers are from his disposals that are from contested situations but it suggests I'm not completely wrong like you all seem to think.

By the same stats Shaun Burgoyne is the best user in the AFL at 17.7 disposals per clanger, even more impressive considering he is close to 50/50 inside/outside. The only other player within 2 possessions of him is Birchall.

Anyway, it's just my opinion and I was s**t stirring a little to start with. Good luck to him.

He is also has a disposal efficiency of 74.5%. He has the most inside 50 at Hawthorn, and is second in goal assists.

He is using the ball in the most dangerous part of the ground, and usually very well.

It is a lot harder to have an effect disposal forward of centre (where Brad would gets most of his possessions), compared to players coming out of the defensive half.

It was just a strange comment, calling him a turnover merchant.

He certainly has deficiencies in his game, the defensive side of his game being one, his ability to win his own ball being another. But he is generally an excellent user of the ball, in a team full of highly skilled users.

Why are Hawks supporter arguing about this?

We are not really arguing about it.

I think its evident that Stephen currently is a better player, especially with performances like the weekend past. The idea of the thread was to draw attention to the matchup and have a bit of fun.

In saying this, long term I believe the jury is still out. Whilst the more experienced Stephen is killing it, the younger brad is rapidly improving, and is definitely at a similar level to what Stephen was at the same stage. Brad Hill copped the hard tag last week for the first time, as Stephen started getting at a similar stage. Also last season, Brad could barely tackle, this year his defensive pressure is excellent. There is no reason that Brad wont improve his inside game as Stephen has.

Long term, I think this is going to be a very good argument to have at the pub.

I think it is evident that both Hills are having breakout years.

Brad is having a breakout year, were he has lifted his game to the same level as Stephen's prior to this year.

Stephen is having a breakout year, were he is stamping himself as an elite midfielder in the competition. Will likely earn his first AA this year, and possibly win Fremantle's B&F. The big difference being that Stephen has added the inside element to his game this year.

Both players having excellent years, and have made large improvements from their previous year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen still has him covered!

No real comparison yet I don't think.

Yeah you're not now but why else would you continually post the said players stats weekly comparing the 2? And there was also something in your OP. "I think Brad is FAST closing the gap, and could overtake him this season".

Because I think it is a good match up, and worth drawing attention to the 2, considering they are both brothers.

But yeah, Stephen has elevated his game and is in career best form. Good on him. Had he had stayed on an even level, then Brad with his improvement would be close and would be fast closing the gap. At the beginning of the season in the first few rounds on form, it was a legitimate question, with Brad bursting out of the gates, but Stephen has put together multiple BOG and is probably in AA form. So he's ahead.

I'll say it again though, brad is 80 games less in experience, and is at least as good as Stephen was at his age. Long term still a chance to over take.

Stephen was tagged in his third game.

Ok mate.

There is a difference between having an opponent and having a dedicated stopper on you.

Explain to me which of the Mcaffer/Crowley/Ling type tagged Stephen in his 3rd game of AFL.

Ok mate.

There is a difference between having an opponent and having a dedicated stopper on you.

Explain to me which of the Mcaffer/Crowley/Ling type tagged Stephen in his 3rd game of AFL.

None of those three have or do plays for the Crows (played his 3rd v Adelaide in 2009.), so thats going to be tough.

None of those three have or do plays for the Crows (played his 3rd v Adelaide in 2009.), so thats going to be tough.

"Type" was the key word there. If Stephen Hill had a dedicated tagger running with him in his 3rd Game against Adelaide, Who was it?

Back