Brad Scott and the Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd be interesting if North fail to win a flag in this window and the mighty Suns go on to win one in the next 5-10 years. I suppose it's the age-old question isn't it - what do you put more weight into - losing culture (soul) or success?

I, for one, choose success.

If the Suns fail to deliver, how long will you hang around for in this quest for success? If GWS have tangible success before GC, will you spew that you picked the wrong horse?

I ask the questions as your ties to GC seem to be no stronger than a perceived guarantee of a premiership. Hey, if North win it this year, maybe you can join us on our back to back quest?

A fancy concept, however, by your own analysis, you are describing the same thing. You agree with me that either both are clubs, or both are franchises. The specific terms are subject to much debate, but again - by your own definition you are describing the same thing.
What definition did I offer that suggested the two things are the same? I offered a distinction.

There's ostensible term "club" and there's a tacit distinction between clubs. Some have historically been born from "within" the community, some "plonked into" the locale. If you want to think all "clubs" are the same because they bear this title, go right ahead, but you'd be deluding yourself.

Rocket wouldn't have come to North.

Probably a good thing. I don't like the idea of our players being fxxxxxg cxxxs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hah. Say that two seasons from now.

A team captained by a poncy kid and whose father was hired to disguise some more stupidly paid wages. Battler my arse.
GWS is co-captained by Phil Davis and Callan Ward, neither of whom I would describe as 'ponsy'.

Turner did make Davis his bitch though.

This probably won't be a popular opinion. I'm sick of both expansion clubs and wish they'd both f*** right off into obscurity, never to be seen or heard of again. And take the 'fans' with them too. Plastic pack of c***s.
that's a bit harsh. do they threaten you that much. why not revoke the hawks aswell. only 12 grand finals victories so far in 90 years compared to to a team who has been around for around 140 yeaRS and only 10 g.f wins. I think there are more spoons in the cupboard.
Im sure the afl wants to grow the game not compress it in to vic only.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-02/tamperproof-afl

THE AFL may ban clubs from attempting to poach opposition coaches while they are under contract.

On Thursday night, it was revealed on Channel Nine that Gold Coast had sounded out North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to see whether he would be interested in filling the vacant Suns' coaching position that Rodney Eade eventually took.

Scott rejected the bid and immediately told North Melbourne, who were incensed that their senior coach had been approached despite having two years on his contract to run.

Football operations boss Mark Evans told AFL Media's First Bounceprogram on Thursday, the coaches had raised the issue with him informally and he would look at how other sports managed the situation.

"A couple of coaches have raised with me some of the anti-tampering rules in the NFL, where you're actually prohibited to speak to an employee of another club while in contract unless you've got the express permission of the other club," Evans said.

"I think we should have a look at that and see if there's something we can learn."

Fremantle's Ross Lyon is the only coach since Denis Pagan moved from North Melbourne to Carlton at the end of 2002 to go from senior coach at one club to another between seasons.

Lyon was coming out of contract at St Kilda when the Dockers approached him at the end of 2011.

Port Adelaide has lost two senior assistants to senior coaching jobs in consecutive seasons, with Phil Walsh joining Adelaide and Alan Richardson joining St Kilda.

Its CEO Keith Thomas told AFL.com.au that clubs accepted senior assistants or directors of coaching might be approached for senior positions.

While it did affect the club, they were happy for people such as Walsh and Richardson to fulfill their dreams.

However he said say it was a different scenario with a senior coach who had a long-term contract.

"Clubs should not really have to be concerned about defending those positions," Thomas said.

Bit of a meh issue for mine.

It is clear that Brad Scott is very highly regarded in AFL circles and this approach is evidence of that. I agree that the interested club should contact the host club at the outset, the coach should be provided with the option but there should be a proper protocol in place that does not disadvantage the host club.

Scott is clearly the kind of man who places great value in his life on relationships and has obviously bought into the North Melbourne culture and its people and will work his arse off to deliver us success. Is it any surprise that the AFL and the GC would be keen for him to take over?

Probably not, so we let crocks and tudor take over....

We were electric under Crocks in 2009. Electric.

Electric with an average score of 80.9 points a game.

what do you put more weight into - losing culture (soul) or success
Ah but that's the great thing about North Melbourne. We have soul and success. Your "club" right now has neither, and should you ever succeed it will be greeted with one of these *.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back