Brad Scott and the Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't read through this entire thread but gee the thread title should really be the name for a band.
You're thinking of "BS and the Sunshine Band", yeah? (Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake your Footy!

There's a genuine difference (between Gold Coast on one hand and North and Hawthorn on the other). Footscray, Hawthorn and North entered the VFL in 1925 and took 29, 36 and 50 years respectively to win a premiership. Impressively Footscray won a premiership (its only though though) before it won a wooden spoon. It now has 4. Hawthorn won 10 spoons before a premiership, and now has the third longest (behind Essendon, rest in peace, and Geelong) period since winning a spoon in 1965. North won all 13 of its spoons before winning a premiership.

In their own ways, these three "expansion teams" had to genuinely do the hard yards before having any success. Footscray were the most impressive early, having been given the western suburbs as their recruiting territory. Hawthorn were a little slower, being a new club with no heritage to speak of, but at least they had the entire eastern suburbs to work with. Once they got going, they became a juggernaut.

North is different, and comparing North to any other club is foolhardy. North had a proud heritage of success in the VFA, extending back into the 1800's. But it represented the poorer, Irish catholic inner suburbs. It was constantly under threat from its wealthier neighbours, in particular Carlton and the protestant mob from Essendon who wanted us dead from well before we entered the VFL. Essendon made sure that North's entry into the VFL in 1925 was that of a team that had had its guts ripped out, stealing our best players and our recruiting zones. People call "Norf" a basket case now, but it is nothing compared to what the club was forced to put up with in its early days in the VFL.

Yet North endured and survived. In the depression years of 1929-1931, while Collingwood was boasting premiership after premiership like a rich club will do in poor times, North won 2 games in 3 seasons. It copped an almighty amount of crap. And so did Hawthorn, which won 3 spoons in the 4 years after it entered the league. Both clubs went within an inch of folding in their early days, something that the AFL would never allow to happen to Gold Coast.

Our respective clubs got not one draft concession, no league funding, no priority trades, nothing. We both just had to build a club from nothing and with no assistance, in the middle of nowhere. And we did it, slowly and painstaking, but we did it.

I have a lot of time for Hawthorn. Its era of success has been built solely off its own hard work. It has had some natural advantages - based in one of Melbourne's most wealthy suburbs and with the fertile eastern suburbs to work with - but they had to make it happen on their own. And they have done so, in spades, and not without massive challenges including as recently as just 20 years ago when they nearly ceased to exist. It also means Hawthorn has a substance and a culture of which it can be genuinely proud. Its supporters can be a little chirpy but to be fair any club's supporters will get a little full of themselves if their clubs keep winning flags, so I can understand that even though I could do with a few less flogs along the way.

The same applies to North Melbourne, but more so. No club has done it tougher and survived. It has make North supporters the most proud and the most loyal supporters in the competition. And it does make us a little precious and perhaps a little jealous about those who have been gifted all the resources they need and we never got to get their clubs off the ground. But it makes each a every win that bit sweeter, knowing how hard it was earned.

We know that being North Melbourne means being a part of a heritage that was born out of the genuine blood sweat and tears of those who built the foundations of the club. It explains why the opposition to the AFL's push to move us to Gold Coast was a supporter-led movement, and why we take a greater exception than any other club to what has gone on at Essendon in the last couple of years.

When I look at the couple of posts of that Gold Coast troll in this thread proclaiming the value of "success" over culture, I feel a little sorry for him. He probably doesn't know what success is. He thinks buying it makes it real. He'll learn in time that it doesn't work that way. Hawthorn supporters get it, having built a club the envy of all out of nothing. And North supporters do too, having built the toughest, proudest club which never says die no matter how many obstacles are in its way. And had their own measure of success to vindicate all the hardship.

So I'm hugely proud of Brad Scott right now, knowing he resisted the big money offer. He gets it. He's a North man. In his own way he has worked to build something out of nothing and to make it something he is proud of, and to know that he is not going to be tempted by money, or the prospect of hollow "success", rather create his own real success. I really hope he gets that success now and that our boys take him there.

and re Hawks it wasn't that long ago since this night...

scott.jpg

Cheers guys - the more I've learned about the club's history, the more I've come to ******* love it.
I almost had a tear running down my cheek reading that post. Good stuff mate. :thumbsu:

Haven't read through this entire thread but gee the thread title should really be the name for a band.

LOL Horace. I'm thinking that the lead singer would be on a totally different wavelength to his band. Since he is B.Scott, then Bradley would be hard rocking it up, while his backing band (The Gold Coast Suns) would probably be some piano-driven soft-rock ensemble.

There's a genuine difference (between Gold Coast on one hand and North and Hawthorn on the other). Footscray, Hawthorn and North entered the VFL in 1925 and took 29, 36 and 50 years respectively to win a premiership. Impressively Footscray won a premiership (its only though though) before it won a wooden spoon. It now has 4. Hawthorn won 10 spoons before a premiership, and now has the third longest (behind Essendon, rest in peace, and Geelong) period since winning a spoon in 1965. North won all 13 of its spoons before winning a premiership.

In their own ways, these three "expansion teams" had to genuinely do the hard yards before having any success. Footscray were the most impressive early, having been given the western suburbs as their recruiting territory. Hawthorn were a little slower, being a new club with no heritage to speak of, but at least they had the entire eastern suburbs to work with. Once they got going, they became a juggernaut.

North is different, and comparing North to any other club is foolhardy. North had a proud heritage of success in the VFA, extending back into the 1800's. But it represented the poorer, Irish catholic inner suburbs. It was constantly under threat from its wealthier neighbours, in particular Carlton and the protestant mob from Essendon who wanted us dead from well before we entered the VFL. Essendon made sure that North's entry into the VFL in 1925 was that of a team that had had its guts ripped out, stealing our best players and our recruiting zones. People call "Norf" a basket case now, but it is nothing compared to what the club was forced to put up with in its early days in the VFL.

Yet North endured and survived. In the depression years of 1929-1931, while Collingwood was boasting premiership after premiership like a rich club will do in poor times, North won 2 games in 3 seasons. It copped an almighty amount of crap. And so did Hawthorn, which won 3 spoons in the 4 years after it entered the league. Both clubs went within an inch of folding in their early days, something that the AFL would never allow to happen to Gold Coast.

Our respective clubs got not one draft concession, no league funding, no priority trades, nothing. We both just had to build a club from nothing and with no assistance, in the middle of nowhere. And we did it, slowly and painstaking, but we did it.

I have a lot of time for Hawthorn. Its era of success has been built solely off its own hard work. It has had some natural advantages - based in one of Melbourne's most wealthy suburbs and with the fertile eastern suburbs to work with - but they had to make it happen on their own. And they have done so, in spades, and not without massive challenges including as recently as just 20 years ago when they nearly ceased to exist. It also means Hawthorn has a substance and a culture of which it can be genuinely proud. Its supporters can be a little chirpy but to be fair any club's supporters will get a little full of themselves if their clubs keep winning flags, so I can understand that even though I could do with a few less flogs along the way.

The same applies to North Melbourne, but more so. No club has done it tougher and survived. It has make North supporters the most proud and the most loyal supporters in the competition. And it does make us a little precious and perhaps a little jealous about those who have been gifted all the resources they need and we never got to get their clubs off the ground. But it makes each a every win that bit sweeter, knowing how hard it was earned.

We know that being North Melbourne means being a part of a heritage that was born out of the genuine blood sweat and tears of those who built the foundations of the club. It explains why the opposition to the AFL's push to move us to Gold Coast was a supporter-led movement, and why we take a greater exception than any other club to what has gone on at Essendon in the last couple of years.

When I look at the couple of posts of that Gold Coast troll in this thread proclaiming the value of "success" over culture, I feel a little sorry for him. He probably doesn't know what success is. He thinks buying it makes it real. He'll learn in time that it doesn't work that way. Hawthorn supporters get it, having built a club the envy of all out of nothing. And North supporters do too, having built the toughest, proudest club which never says die no matter how many obstacles are in its way. And had their own measure of success to vindicate all the hardship.

So I'm hugely proud of Brad Scott right now, knowing he resisted the big money offer. He gets it. He's a North man. In his own way he has worked to build something out of nothing and to make it something he is proud of, and to know that he is not going to be tempted by money, or the prospect of hollow "success", rather create his own real success. I really hope he gets that success now and that our boys take him there.
POTY makes me even prouder than I thought possible to be a life long North Melbourne supporter and member. This should be sent to the club just in case Heath missed it in his usual covert monitoring operations. It's something that all current North Melbourne players should read.

POTY, and it's not even close! In fact I'm calling POMBFL (Post Of My Big Footy Life)!!! I hope you don't mind, but I have copied your post and emailed it to my family, I wasn't aware of some of what you wrote, and it makes me so proud to be "part" of this club!
can i make this my sig?

I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before, but cracking post mate. Beautiful to read.

I would like to think someone could forward those thoughts along to the club. Recently they've been doing market research as to what 'Shinboner Spirit' means to people. What you have written here is the quintessential definition of Shinboner Spirit.

Well done on writing what you have. It sums up my thoughts much better than I could have hoped to have done myself :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back