Toast Brad Sewell - 200 games, 2 flags, a fine Hawthorn servant. Record your respect here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has been one of my favourite players to watch. Loved seeing him stand up in tackles and get out handballs he had no right to.

Staunch campaigner.

grats Sewell on a great career, was a part of the midfield group that made us a top side, he worked hard early on, became a great tagger and then centreman, depth of our squad denied him of a 3rd premiership.......

Loved his speech last night and I am trying to find a replay of it - does anyway have a link to it and I am surprised it's on the Hawthorn web site

All the best to you Brad on an enviable career.

Brad Sewell made himself available to our junior football club. He assisted with training then stayed back just to chat, answer questions and 'star' in the obligatory selfie.

Two years on and our boys still talk about it

Thank you to a truly wonderful guy

Any realistic estimates of what his 2014 salary would have been?
10 years, PCM & Dual Premiership Player - couldn't be any less than $350k. Probably $400k - but that's an uninformed guess - I have no idea.

I loved Brad Sewell - I think nearly every other post so far has illustrated why, so I won't retread old ground.

But I will say one thing that really summed up for me WHO Brad was, and that's whenever he was in the middle of a pack, he made it his mission to hold onto the ball to the last second. 99% of the time, he was the player who would return the ball to the umpire.

Now, there was nothing to be gained from this - the ball was going to be bounced/thrown up anyway - but it was a real show of determination from him, and I thought it always set his stance on the field to the opposition. His attitude was, "This is my ball, just you try and get it off me," and I always thought that it was a neat psychological trick - forcing his opposition to see that he always came up with the ball.

A tiny observation, but I loved him for it. I purposely looked out for him doing it in every single game, and he never disappointed.

Onya Brad. Would love to see him in the media.

Took Brad 14 games before he played in his first victory(average losing margin of 41), round 17 2005 vs Carlton, this was also start of our undefeated streak against Carlton. Been and utter pleasure watching Sewell grow with this football team, a huge reason why we've achieved some much, like Hodge play the role we needed when we needed, the ultimate team player that would sacrifice his game for the teams greater good.

Took Brad 14 games before he played in his first victory(average losing margin of 41), round 17 2005 vs Carlton, this was also start of our undefeated streak against Carlton. Been and utter pleasure watching Sewell grow with this football team, a huge reason why we've achieved some much, like Hodge play the role we needed when we needed, the ultimate team player that would sacrifice his game for the teams greater good.

Great stat:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That speech is way too good for a footballer!! Gonna miss 'Crush!'

Sewell was my favorite player in 06, 07. Just a true contested beast. Our game plan probably put an end to his career in some ways. All the best Sewelly

My favourite memory = Singing 'We are the Champions' with him in the crowd after the 2013 gf, and seeing the complete satisfaction on his face.
An ever better person than he was a footballer, which is saying something.

The way he conducted himself in grand final week and after the premiership was outstanding ...total respect for the man
His retirement speech at the PCM was a very interesting insight into what makes Hawthorn function so well. I got very emotional listening to this selfless man who was all about the club
Classic comment about Hodgey being a FAT BASTARD when he came to the club

A true champion of the HFC. 2 time premiership player and a formidable figure to where the club is today. Well done Sewelly, you will go down as one of the true greats!

just a true warrior. he's ability to extract the ball in heavy traffic was phenomenal. never seen anything like it. After the service he gave in 2009-12, he really deserved one more medal - but somehow i reckon he'll sleep pretty well with the two around his neck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back