TroyUgle

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
I've been to both Eagles games in Victoria this year, and I'm having doubts whether Brad Sheppard has the build to be a long-term AFL player.

He can look good on the burst when he has a bit of time to dispose of the footy, but he gets monstered around the ball, doesn't have the strength, and you can guarantee he'll get poleaxed at last once a game.

In his fifth season on our list I would have expected to see a big improvement in his physicality. I'm quite disappointed in his progress.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

I've been to both Eagles games in Victoria this year, and I'm having doubts whether Brad Sheppard has the build to be a long-term AFL player.

He can look good on the burst when he has a bit of time to dispose of the footy, but he gets monstered around the ball, doesn't have the strength, and you can guarantee he'll get poleaxed at last once a game.

In his fifth season on our list I would have expected to see a big improvement in his physicality. I'm quite disappointed in his progress.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Depends in his role. My concern is given his size and, given any role is likely to be primarily outside, his hands below his knees are still fumbly too often...

The better smaller body type players need one grab skills to go with their pace ....

Just to show it ain't all about body size, does anyone have any doubts at all about Gleeson from Essendon? He makes Shep look like Arnie :)

Depends in his role. My concern is given his size and, given any role is likely to be primarily outside, his hands below his knees are still fumbly too often...

The better smaller body type players need one grab skills to go with their pace ....

Just to show it ain't all about body size, does anyone have any doubts at all about Gleeson from Essendon? He makes Shep look like Arnie :)

Yeah, I saw him go round yesterday and was quite impressed.

I just worry when I see blokes like Shep and Gaff run around that they lack the bulk to impose themselves on the contest. And Sheppard, in particular, looks like he can't find the weights room...

Haven`t been a fan of Sheppard but i think he shows promise that he can adapt and look good playing the Simpson gameplan .

He needs to work on his finishing when he gets the ball , a lot of the time his kick passes land around the ankles ,that ruins some of his work .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheppard is an interesting one. One minute he looks great the next minute your shaking your head. I think his worth persisting and we have to he was pick 7 in the 2009 draft which I just looked at and not many players have really come on from that draft as yet. Apart from Fyfe, Morabito (would have and still will), Jetta, Gunston and Christensen the rest haven’t really stepped up that goes for guys picked before and after Sheppard so it doesn’t look that bad after all. A lot of other clubs would be in the same boat with their picks from that draft.

I think his one of those ‘Athlete’ type picks rather than a natural ‘player’ pick. Looks great physically but ‘football’ wise not as gifted but personally I think he can improve if the club shows confidence in him and settles him into 1 position for the season which I think should be the back flank.

If he becomes a solid player down back who can get 150-200 games then so what?

If he plays 150-200 games it's highly unlikely we will be competetive in finals or against top teams, during that era. Yes he's been much better during our early dead rubbers but the Geelong game shows clearly where he is at - ie nowhere. He wont be successful at AFL footy unless he transforms himself. Its not rocket science, big games are won at the juncture where two warriors compete for a 50-50 ball. The man who wins that ball invarably wants it more and is the bigger, stonger man. We have too many Sheppards .

If he doesn't show any form of improvement this year, surely he is de-listed.
To accept his first few games is to accept mediocrity. Carter is in the wings ready to pounce.

If he plays 150-200 games it's highly unlikely we will competetive in finals or against top teams, during that era. Yes he's been much better during our early dead rubbers but the Geelong game shows clearly where he is at - ie nowhere. He wont be successful at AFL footy unless he transforms himself. Its not rocket science, big games are won at the juncture where two warriors compete for a 50-50 ball. The man who wins that ball invarably wants it more and is the bigger, stonger man. We have too many Sheppards.

Give him 22 games in one spot and see how he goes! i think he will surprise. People forget he has only played 46 games!

Fwiw many teams have an equally leanbodied player(s) in their midst, many without the same game experience Sheppard has..i'm not pro or con, just saying.

He just lacks the hard edge and killer instinct to be an AFL footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back