Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
Brad Symes

n668067098_286238_873.jpg

Height: 187

Weight: 84

Date of Birth: 7th March 1985

Nickname: Symes

Contract Details: Was contracted until the end of 2008 but has since been traded to the Crows

Position: Half Back Flank

SANFL Club: Central District

Recruited From: Central District (Pick 30 in the 2003 National Draft)

Career Games: 20 (8 wins, 12 losses)

Career Goals: 2

Honours:
  • 2006 AFL Rising Star Nominee

For more career stats click here.

2007 BF Port Player of the Year Results (includes SANFL Stats)

2007 Statistics

Games: 7

Goals: 1

Kicks: 59

Marks: 36

Handballs: 51

More info on Brad Symes

2006 Season
Although his performances were steady for his SANFL club, Central District, he did not get another game for the Power until Round 4, 2006 against St. Kilda, which he impressed in greatly with his composure and skills. After having his appendix removed, he returned to the side a few weeks later to continue his excellent form in a season which Port Adelaide have acknowledged is one of rebuilding.

Symes' consistent performances in the Power team were rewarded with a nomination for the 2006 AFL Rising Star Award for his Round 9 match against Essendon.

Brad Symes kicked his first goal in AFL in Round 13, 2006 against Melbourne after winning a holding the ball decision on Jared Rivers and converting the resulting shot on goal.

2007 Season
After playing 12 games in 2006, Brad only managed 7 games in 2007. He managed to play three games in a row from round 10 to 12, but was then dropped from the side. He continued playing in the SANFL with some good performances. In the preliminary final win over the Kangaroos, in which Symes did not play, veteran defender Michael Wilson snapped his achilles tendon, meaning there was an open spot in the team for the grand final. Symes was one of the front runners for the position, as well as Nathan Lonie and Nick Lower. He was called up for the grand final, but the team had a largely forgettable day, losing to Geelong by 119 points. The following Sunday, Symes played in a successful Grand Final for Central District in the SANFL. He was traded by Port Adelaide to the Adelaide Crows in exchange for draft pick #28 on Friday 12 October, the final day of the AFL trade week.

Hi, I was Brad's assigned (not drafted) buddy for the 2007 season.

I'm pretty sure he was someone's cousin.

Now he's a Crow.

Cheers.

Well excuse me for discussing one of our former players, but according to the Crows board, its the PAFC's fault he played a shocker today (numerous clangers and 6 frees against) because he didn't play much last year and Port are worse tacklers than the Crows :D:thumbsu::rolleyes:

Symesy had an irritating knack of getting free-kicked against a fair bit when he played for us as well. Often he was penalised for those diving tackles, where he drags a player forward or gets them too high.
Lower seems to have the same fault in his tackling technique.

I always put it down to over-exuberance, but maybe it is a technical flaw as well.

No complaints with us letting him go, after watching Stewart and Thomas the other night. Even less concerned, if Lower, Williams and Farmer come good.

Saw the last quarter on Foxtel yesterday and he made a series of mistakes. It was his indecisiveness that led him to get caught holding the ball that stood out for me.

I remember in his first few games for us being impressed with his in and under work but then IMO we saw less and less of it. His disposal was always a bit suspect and may well be the reason why he tends to head sideways rather than forward. I can't see the Crows sorting that out.

I think we did very well out of that trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just for the laughs, I would love to see him picked up by, lets say, Hawthorn and they end up playing the Crows in the Grand Final next year.
Imagine the spread in the "Tiser with the tattoo'd bogan mother of his!

No animosity from me, was one of the few to be able to hold his head up after the the 2007 GF. A bit of 'lack of due diligence' from us in drafting him with his uber-strong alliegance to the Cows. Like West Coast taking Brad Ebert it was never going to end well.

That last hit he copped was brutal. Sorry to see as he is a good kid, and gave his best at Port, Centrals and the crows.

I've heard he has a very good football brain and could slip into a coaching role.

Very sad (but not surprised ) he made the decision to retire. His career did not deserve to end by a dog act.

Speaking of that thug (& spud) Crocke, I can't wait until July 19, when my Dogs host the hybrids, I (along with just about every Centrals fan) will absolutely give it to him!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back