Brandis: "People do have a right to be bigots, you know."

Remove this Banner Ad

No they don't. :D
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...acial-discrimination-laws-20140805-3d65l.html
The Abbott government has backed down on controversial plans to water down the Racial Discrimination Act.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said it was a ‘‘leadership call’’ to bin the proposed changes to Section 18C of the act, which had been roundly criticised by ethnic community leaders and was unpopular with the wider public.

"Leadership is about preserving national identity and the essentials and that is why I have taken this position," Mr Abbott said.

Last week, Fairfax Media revealed the Coalition's plan to water down race hate laws had been rejected by a large majority of respondents to a government review.

More than 76 per cent of 4100 submissions to Attorney-General George Brandis' draft changes to the Racial Discrimination Act were opposed to the proposal - known as the ''Bolt law'' after the laws were prominently applied against conservative columnist Andrew Bolt.

The government had proposed to wind back section 18C, which makes it unlawful to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate someone based on their race or ethnicity.

But just 20.5 per cent of submissions were in favour of the changes, according to documents obtained under freedom of information laws by Simon Rice of the Australian National University. Three per cent called for a complete repeal of all racial discrimination protections.
Another broken election promise.

Yeah, Bolt's program will make interesting viewing since his BFF Tone has let him down so badly.
I broke the habit of a lifetime and had a look at his blog yesterday, while he was disappointingly silent some of the readers comments were hysterical. I'm amazed that most of them have the ability to use a computer, it's a special type of stupid needed to agree with Bolt.
And it should never be forgotten that the man himself found the intellectual rigours of 1st year Arts a bit hard to handle, we are hardly dealing with a polymath here.

I broke the habit of a lifetime and had a look at his blog yesterday, while he was disappointingly silent some of the readers comments were hysterical. I'm amazed that most of them have the ability to use a computer, it's a special type of stupid needed to agree with Bolt.
And it should never be forgotten that the man himself found the intellectual rigours of 1st year Arts a bit hard to handle, we are hardly dealing with a polymath here.

I have never looked at Bolt's blog, however I do check out his show now and then in the same kinda masochistic way in which I used to watch Glenn Beck on Fox.

It keeps me grounded in reality, and makes me feel a little better about myself. ;)

What's the bet he doesn't even mention it?

Nope, I spoke too soon.

Toys flying out of the cot time!

he mad.

http://www.watoday.com.au/federal-p...section-18c-is-dangerous-20140806-100tzc.html

Earlier on the show, Bolt said Mr Abbott's decision spelt a dangerous time for Australia and that the Prime Minister's justification was an "excuse rather than a reason".

He also claimed Australia is "being asked to assimilate to immigrant values" in response to Mr Abbott's decision to drop the changes.

The bromance is still on though. Let's not burn a bridge

"Tony Abbott I'm not blaming because he did try. He found immovable forces ... he couldn't have got it through the Senate," he said.

"I don't think politically he had any option."

What an absolute plonker this man is.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Abbott had a handshake agreement with Bolt regarding repealing these laws.

Interesting times ahead.

How the hell do these people find out before the voting public? This is a £€¥#%*^ joke. Murdoch and PPL, now Bolt and 18c, who's running the country? News Corp?

I wonder if George lies awake at night pondering his famous statement as per the thread title?

So typical of this government. Grandiose and outlandish/outrageous statements to begin with, and then sullenly slinking back into their holes when it all turns pear shaped.

I wonder if George lies awake at night pondering his famous statement as per the thread title?

So typical of this government. Grandiose and outlandish/outrageous statements to begin with, and then sullenly slinking back into their holes when it all turns pear shaped.

Politicians are always right. They will just blame the senate or the greens or the moonies etc. This lot will continue to wave the Australian flag, with hands on heart, at least the Union Jack bit of it anyway. (Sorry for you Non Wesh or English types:oops:)

Their is no doubt we need good anti terror rules. But a big part of Governing should be to make the nation inclusive. Make all types & groups feel 'Australian'. After all we are a nation of Immigrants, (although maybe the Aboriginals have been here a bit longer than the rest of us:D)

If some want to go & fight for some other cause, then piss them off altogether. Whether its Jihad or Israel or any bloody where else.

BuU8okHCEAElRKw.jpg

F*** No.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back