Danny Cullen

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2012
South West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
Indigenous ancestry would give a Euro-looking bloke enough 'proof' to consider himself Aboriginal, wouldn't it? He could never call himself 'full-blooded', but Aboriginal? Yes, I think so.

Deprnds whats in it for them, or me. I'n aboriginal. I recognise with this every day. Prove it wrong. I will sue you're arse.

Danny Cullen

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2012
South West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
Truly warped are people like you who would post rubbish like this clearly implying that Aboriginal people who dont look 'Aboriginal enough' for you, should deny their ancestry and ethnic background and should stop calling themselves Aboriginal.

Tell me, should they deny their European ancestry and background as well if they dont look 'European enough' for you?

A really disgusting post.

Just thought I'd add a 'crikey' here.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Deprnds whats in it for them, or me. I'n aboriginal. I recognise with this every day. Prove it wrong. I will sue you're arse.

Do you have indigenous ancestry, though? If it's verifiable then if you want to identify as Aboriginal more power to you. Here's more info on how to go about it;

http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/fhu/aboriginality.html

Confirmation of Aboriginality

...Your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage is something that is personal and you do not need a ‘letter of confirmation’ to identify as an Indigenous person. However you may be asked to provide a confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander form or letter when applying for Indigenous-specific services or programs such as:
  • Grants (such as Indigenous housing loans, research and study grants)
  • University courses (with specific positions for Indigenous students)
  • Centrelink and housing assistance (Indigenous-specific)
  • Employment (Indigenous identified positions)
  • School programs for Indigenous students
There are three criteria for confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage that are usually accepted by government agencies and community organisations. They are:
  • being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
  • identifying as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • being accepted as such by the community in which you live, or formally lived
Why is it so involved?
These services and programs are intended to address the social, health and educational issues that Indigenous people often face as the result of past removal policies and inadequate educational, employment and health services. Requesting proof of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage from applicants helps to make sure that this intention is honoured.

How do I obtain proof of my Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage?
Perhaps you have a certificate that traces your family to a particular Aboriginal station or reserve? Perhaps you have oral history stories that link to an area or person or even a photograph? Whatever your situation, you will need to link to your Indigenous community organisation for assistance. If you have been displaced from your heritage, you can research and take your evidence to the Indigenous community organisation closest to you. You will be invited to explain your heritage to their committee.

Step 1 – Gather as much information about your family history and heritage as possible
When applying for a letter of proof of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage through an Indigenous organisation, you are likely to be requested to explain your heritage to their committee. For this reason it is often useful to gather as much information about your family history as you can before you contact them. This is particularly important if you or your ancestors have been displaced from your heritage.

Examples of useful information include birth, death and marriage certificates that trace your family to a particular Aboriginal station or reserve, oral history stories and even photographs.

Step 2 – Contact an Indigenous organisation
A 'letter of confirmation' is usually obtained from an incorporated Indigenous organisation and must be stamped with their common seal. It is useful to contact an organisation where your family is from, if possible, as someone in the community might know of or remember your family.

An Indigenous organisation in the area where you live may also be able to provide you with this confirmation. For instance, if you live in Canberra and your family is from the Canberra region, you could contact the Ngunnawal Land Council in Queanbeyan. If you live in Canberra but your family is from elsewhere, you would contact the Land Council in the area your family came from or were known in.

To find the contact details of a Land Council or other Indigenous community organisation, try searching the Yellow Pages online www.yellowpages.com.au. Type ‘Aboriginal’ in the WHAT box and the place name in WHERE. In the print version of the Yellow Pages, look under ‘Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Associations & Organisations’...

Here's the confirmation form you need to fill out

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/ra010-1403en.pdf

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh; and youre wrong. Race is a social construct.

Mal FFS this is not 1st year arts.

Enough.

Indigenous ancestry would give a Euro-looking bloke enough 'proof' to consider himself Aboriginal, wouldn't it? He could never call himself 'full-blooded', but Aboriginal? Yes, I think so.

IIRC that isn't the test is it? Isnt it recognition by the aboriginal community? As per the Michael Mansell quote above there has been quite a tiff in Tasmania about this amongst different groups.

http://www.tasmanianaboriginal.com.au/liapootah/palawa.htm

Danny Cullen

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2012
South West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
Oh Danny Boy, the forms, the forms are calling
from human services down the bureaucratic mountainside
Your 'belirfs' are yours, but without state jurisdiction
it's you, it's you must stay unrecognised...

s**t, just realised, hit the 'r' which is next to the 'e;. Good pick up Einstein. Consider yourself dismissed pedant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics

If you are claiming that the 5% overrides the 95% you're either in it for the perks or an idiot.

How many African Americans openly consider themselves British/European even though the majority have that in their ancestry? Nobody considers them European do they?

raghav

All Australian
Sep 18, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
A fair few. Andrew Walker:

Walker150Article_620X370.jpg

231525-carlton-indigenous.jpg

Andrew has Indigenous Australian heritage and his tribal ancestry can be traced to the Yorta Yorta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Walker_(footballer)
In view of that example I guess your real answer is, not many?

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
That's because the left, due to their inability to win an argument on it's merits chooses to attack the messenger in the hope of swaying opinion.

Who do the right demonise to anywhere near the degree of Bolt?
It'd be a close call between Tim Flannery and the entire ABC.

And your theory, whether people agree with it or not, doesn't alter the fact that the right-wingers on here spend an inordinate amount of time defending Murdoch commentators. Medusula would be one who has actually does have other things to say, but his aggressive, un-pointed response would suggest it's rings a bit true to him too:
Pathetic coming from resident uber fanboi/ stooge...
He's a narrative writer. He's a got a few narrative crutches (Greens = Nazis, Pinko ABC, taxpayers funding left wing cause, whites are the victims of racism etc etc).
All of which can be summed up as a Bolt narrative of 'we're the real victims'.
Careful, or he'll be branding you as a Stormfront follower!:)
Comments about 'sub species' and multiple suggestion that how people look indicates their lineage is a bit Stormfront. Good pick up.
If you are claiming that the 5% overrides the 95% you're either in it for the perks or an idiot.
As has been mentioned before, the line in govt I believe is 1/8th Aboriginal. That would be 12.5%, not 5%.
How many blue eyed Indigenous Australians were then when Cook arrived? I'm going with 0%.
It would get rounded down to zero, but it wasn't zero. Did you think Cook was the first European here?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

How many African Americans openly consider themselves British/European even though the majority have that in their ancestry? Nobody considers them European do they?

I'm not claiming the 5% overrides the 95%, no. But if someone, even with the 5%, wants to recognise even this mere sliver of aboriginal heritage for himself, why not?

Claiming benefits as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander is another kettle of fish however. As I've tried to point out to Danny a few posts ago, there' s a process that you've got to go through. Someone with 5% indigenous heritage wouldn't be able to qualify, as far as I know.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Great to see the Bolt brigade with such healthy representation;trumpeting their right to that brand of belligerent and vexatious bigotry.
Poisoned parrots??
Andrew Bolt, Indigenous Australian? Come off it | Michael ...

Bolt's views are counterproductive. I see constitutional recognition as better forwarding mainstream political activities and undermining the fringe sovereignty and segregationalist movements like APG.

Qsaint

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 6, 2004
Brisvegas
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm not claiming the 5% overrides the 95%, no. But if someone, even with the 5%, wants to recognise even this mere sliver of aboriginal heritage for himself, why not?

Claiming benefits as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander is another kettle of fish however. As I've tried to point out to Danny a few posts ago, there' s a process that you've got to go through. Someone with 5% indigenous heritage wouldn't be able to qualify, as far as I know.
No one really cares whether (well most people) if they want to identify themselves as aboriginal, its just if they receive an advantage by doing so when culturally, outward physical appearance or no lack of opportunity they fail to have undergone the disadvantage a typical aboriginal has experienced. If there was a scholarship for women, practicing Jew/Muslim/Christian or even a honararium from the local German club we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No one really cares whether (well most people) if they want to identify themselves as aboriginal, its just if they receive an advantage by doing so when culturally, outward physical appearance or no lack of opportunity they fail to have undergone the disadvantage a typical aboriginal has experienced. If there was a scholarship for women, practicing Jew/Muslim/Christian or even a honararium from the local German club we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I can agree on that. Someone with 5% heritage taking special ' disadvantaged' benefits as an aboriginal or Torres Strait islander would be taking the piss. You'd hope the application process itself (read the links I provided to Danny Cullen a few posts back) would help weed out the folk trying to take advantage.

Lester Burnham

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I can agree on that. Someone with 5% heritage taking special ' disadvantaged' benefits as an aboriginal or Torres Strait islander would be taking the piss. You'd hope the application process itself (read the links I provided to Danny Cullen a few posts back) would help weed out the folk trying to take advantage.

It's not just about claiming benefits for being disadvantaged. There's careers, artistic and literary prizes to be had. We have set up a semi- permanent government system where we are encouraging people to identify by a certain ethnicity and culture separate from the rest of other Australians. For example, we've got bodies such as the 'incorporated Indigenous organisations' that one has to apply to confirmation of your aboriginality. These bodies exercise local, state and national political power, and continue to put out their hands for tax-payer monies. It is in the interests of these bodies to promote the victimhood of their constituents to ensure further funding. But the long term outcome is to prolong the victim culture.

In regards to % of aboriginal heritage, I would love to talk about a specific example such as Bindi Cole but I would not go near it given the Bolt 18C ruling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back