Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

71% DE is better than average
Nah not really what I'm talking about...

Massive difference between DE and actually doing something with the ball... Being creative... Taking the game on... I love his work ethic and runs all day... And I like him as a kid... Deserves success

Just at this stage i'd honestly rate 15 possessions by Edwards better than 30 by Ellis.

great gut running for him, you need those kinds of guys in your mid, just helps out everywhere and helps link up play, and also super consistent, you can rely on him to get 20+, if he can improve and make those disposals more damaging he will be elite status very soon

Needs to get better by foot. His shot on goal on Sat night was deplorable.... Casboult like. Also has had a few shanks the last few weeks.... not elite or even a good kick at the moment....

Does have an elite tank though, a huge work-rate and is improving. Keeps getting the pill and will start to use it more effectively as he develops. Has been a great pickup....

Massive difference between DE and actually doing something with the ball... Being creative... Taking the game on... I love his work ethic and runs all day... And I like him as a kid... Deserves success

Just at this stage i'd honestly rate 15 possessions by Edwards better than 30 by Ellis.

True Edwards possessions are silky, creative and he often uses his lateral movement, to create what others cannot.

Ellis however earns possessions that others wouldn't. He gut runs to put himself in positions that earn him the ball. Without him time after time loose balls in our back line would be won by opposition players, our forward thrusts would break down as no link man would present etc etc. His mad sprint into the forward line yesterday, forward pressure and then his dash back up the wing to the back flank to force a boundary throw in is point in case. Not many other players in the league would have been in the game for so long. Incredible effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the difference is Ellis gets the 5 extra padded disposals Edwards doesn't get because of how much extra running he does

I'll see if I can get their heat maps

Hopefully these shrink to size
92QGIvn.png

sTt90Ii.png

Needs to start doing a lot more with the footy to become an A grader.

I do agree, but please don't rate players using A, B, C etc.

71% DE is better than average

Doesn't mean much. Cotchin has had games at over 80% where half of his disposals were just long distance shanks to nobody.

Works bloody hard. His kicking is down on what he is capable of but his biggest weakness for mine is his handballing under pressure. I know its not easy but if he could make sure his handballing while being tackled hits a teammate at torso level instead of at the feet or missing entirely he would be almost our most dangerous player.

IMO its what sets Deledio, Edwards and Cotchin (when he is on but he seems to have bad days the other two don't) apart from our entire team.

Some important things with Ellis this year compared to last
Increased average contested possessions from 6.6 to 7.4 (13 on the weekend)
Increased average clearances from 1.8 to 2.8 (5 on the weekend)
Increased average tackles from 2.4 to 4.0 (1 on the weekend)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back