Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

With Ellis and Macintosh on the wings
giphy.gif

He's always been the real deal. One of the best ball winners and the comp and he's still only 21. What I love about Brandon is whenever he's had an interview after a game having had a great game he always says he could've done something better or improved some aspect of his game. That is the attitude of a winner. I bet over the next couple years his goal kicking improves and his contested and defensive work continues to improve also.

Having played on him a few times back when I was playing in the Wimmera and he was in the area, he would jump in for a half for whoever was playing us. Absolute workhorse and good bloke. Worked with his Auntie as well. So when we manged to get him in the draft, I knew we had a ripper on our hands.

Only 22 this year as well :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He and McIntosh will compliment each other for years to come. I expect both to gain more inside time going forward and improve their game to the level we need to take us to the top.

Agree...let them run the wings all day...they compete...skills will come to the fore with tanks...tanks create time.

Some important things with Ellis this year compared to last
Increased average contested possessions from 6.6 to 7.4 (13 on the weekend)
Increased average clearances from 1.8 to 2.8 (5 on the weekend)
Increased average tackles from 2.4 to 4.0 (1 on the weekend)
Would you call any of those areas elite.

I call them improvements on one of his major criticisms and at the top end for his age bracket (when looking at his all round stats)
I know a stat that is never registered. Its called putting your head over the ball. I wonder has he improved in this area.

imagine if Lennon had his tank and Ellis has Lennons foot.What weapons we would have.

I kind of agree, but Ellis does have very good kicking skills. He was taking our kick outs from pretty much his first game. They same to have tapered off a bit each year, maybe he is running so much that by the time he gets a kick he is exhausted but he still goes at over 70% which is better then most at AFL level.

I kind of agree, but Ellis does have very good kicking skills. He was taking our kick outs from pretty much his first game. They same to have tapered off a bit each year, maybe he is running so much that by the time he gets a kick he is exhausted but he still goes at over 70% which is better then most at AFL level.
Good but erratic i reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back