Brandon Matera

Remove this Banner Ad

Had his best pre-season to date. Both of his previous ones were fairly interrupted, but not the case with this one.

Had a bit of a hotspot that took him out for a few weeks, but he did a fair whack of the program IIRC.

In for a good year:thumbsu:

Had the engine and now a bigger body to stand the hits from the midfield. Think he'll play in the mids much more in 2013!

Where does he fit?! Prefer him playing as high HFF, can apply serious scoreboard pressure and will provide good i50 delivery.

Don't know about his preseason but with my total lack of knowledge doesn't top 10 sound a bit too high for a crumbing small forward?

Played midfield primarily as a kid, worries about his height and weight may have pushed him out the 10 but certainly top 20.

Makes sense. Would be curious to go over all of our pre draft selections and see where they might have been picked based on junior ability.

Yeah I have always wondered about that, especially with Trent Mckenzie.

Matera sparks spirited chase.
GC SUNS senior coach Guy McKenna was full of praise for the rising star in his post-match media conference, crediting Matera’s use of possession and efforts around the contested football.

“We know how hard he is around the football and as the game opened up I thought he started to find better disposals,” said McKenna.

“He started to use the ball a lot more and really take some territory with his possession… he continues to evolve as one of our better midfielders.”

Round 1 vs Richmond @ Metricon.

In what would be his 40th game and 10th win for the club, Brandon Matera was moved out of his usual forward role and was at times sighted at half-back and through the midfield. Whilst he didn't get his hands on the ball as much as Ablett, Prestia and co. He notched up a career-high 6 tackles (2nd most for our team) and had 2 goal assists.

Was a sound game from Matera. Admittedly, I didn't spot him too often but I did see some nice passes by foot (although his afl.com.au stats indicate 4 clangers). Has definitely spent some time in the gym and looking very solid! With his height and build (a lot of power in the lower body) can see him being very explosive if used as an inside mid.

He missed the second half of last year due to injury so it was great to see him back out there looking fit. I expect him improve on every game this year and show to everyone why he was so highly rated as a junior. He'll be better for the run.:thumbsu:

16 Disp, 7 Kicks, 9 H'ball, 3 Marks, 6 Tackles, 1 Goal, 2 i50, 2 Goal Assist. 70 Fantasy points.

Last edited:
How is young Brandon going? Been in the system a few years now, with an uninterrupted pre-season, will 2015 be his massive break out season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is young Brandon going? Been in the system a few years now, with an uninterrupted pre-season, will 2015 be his massive break out season?

Every time he has a break out game he gets struck down by injury and has to start again! Will be something special when he gets his body right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back