Sport Brazil 2014 World Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
So in the wee hours of tomorrow morning, the FIFA World Cup will kick off at the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo when the host nation Brazil takes on Croatia.

Ange Postecoglou has picked a young side to represent Australia in its third successive World Cup since 2006 and the Socceroos will be rank outsiders in a group that includes Spain, the Netherlands and Chile and realistically have as much chance of winning a match as GWS had of beating the Swans in Round 1 (wait what).

Much of the build up has focussed on off field issues, in particular FIFA's corruption, which for those who follow the world game closely is nothing new, but more people are starting to call them out on it, look no further than this brilliant rant by John Oliver on HBO last week (if you haven't seen it, go watch it):

But all of that will be forgotten come 6am Friday morning when the football takes centre stage. Post your tips, commentary, opinions here!

Here are a few possible predictions to get you started (I've posted mine in bold so you can laugh at my lack of football knowledge at the end of the tournament):
  • Winner - Brazil
  • Runner Up - Argentina
  • Dark Horse - Switzerland
  • Golden Boot / Leading Goalscorer - Lionel Messi
  • Result of Australia's matches - 1-2 v Chile, 0-1 v Netherlands, 0-3 v Spain
Also check out the Association Football board's World Cup podcast, unfortunately due to budget cuts they couldn't afford a proper host so SM had to do the job. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the pump up for the podcast! :)

Absolutely keen for this, with a Hull City player likely leading the line for Croatia tomorrow morning, would be absolutely amazing to see him slot one against Brazil.

My favourite time every four years where England go in full of hope only to lose early in the knock out rounds on Penalties :D

My predictions:
Winner - Brazil
Runner Up - Germany
Dark Horse - Chile
Golden Boot/Leading Goalscorer - Miroslav Klose
Result of Australia's Matches - 2-0 loss to Chile, 1-1 draw with Netherlands, 3-1 lose to Spain

Spain and Chile to get out of our group and we finish last only on goal difference to the Dutch (who have never beaten us). If Brazil don't win it, a South American team will, hence Chile as my darkhorse.

Winner - Germany (will break the European team in South America hoodoo)
Runner Up - Argentina
Dark Horse - Belgium
Golden Boot/Leading Goalscorer - Lionel Messi (he'll run amuck in the group stage)
Result of Australia's Matches - 3-1 loss to Chile, 2-0 loss to Netherlands, 2-0 loss to Spain

Winner: Brazil
Runner Up: Argentina
Dark Horse: Spain
Golden Boot: Messi (absolute freak)
Oz matches: 1-0 loss v Chile, 2-0 loss v Netherlands, 4-0 loss v Spain
Socceroos will struggle to score, the team is ordinary and the coach hasn't had long enough to get the squad playing his style.

Last edited:
Winner - Spain
Runner Up - Argentina
Dark Horse - Belgium
Golden Boot/Leading Goalscorer - Luis Suarez
Result of Australia's Matches - Lose all.

Agree with your thoughts on Belgium as a darkhorse Danair got a fantastic squad, if they play well as a team they should get to the quarters or so.

Winner - Spain
Runner Up - Argentina
Dark Horse - Belgium
Golden Boot/Leading Goalscorer - Luis Suarez
Result of Australia's Matches - Lose all.

Agree with your thoughts on Belgium as a darkhorse Danair got a fantastic squad, if they play well as a team they should get to the quarters or so.

They'll definitely go far. Talent across all lines (Hazard, Lukaku, De Bruyne, Mirallas, Kompany, Vertonghen, Dembele) and they're not in the toughest of groups.

I heard about the linesman in the Mexico game. Thought the Spain v Netherlands game was alright?

So frustrating in the Mexico game (I had them in a multi, lucky they got one in the second half), two disallowed goals in the first half from shocking offside calls by the same linesman. You're right the Spain/Netherlands game was definitely much better (what a performance by the Dutch btw, too quick for Spain)

I told a guy at the gym to not be surprised if Netherlands beat Spain, he laughed at me pretty much. Will have to ask him his thoughts next time i see him. :D

Could really do with Italy battering England tonight as well. Haha.

Always enjoy the Poms losing but I am still bitter about the loss to Italy in 2006 :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving this WORLD CUP, full of attacking football :)

Cahills goal was something special, hopefully this makes youngsters out there play some soccer! :p

Tipping Germany due to them having couple turkish players yep turkish background haha.

Tipping: Brazil vs Argentina final hard to decide a winner
Dark horse: Belgium

Going to be hard for the other nations South Americans have the advantage of their high altitude training etc.

Great tournament so far!

I think Argentina are a bit overrated to be honest. They'll make it out of their group but i'm not convinced they'll get much further.

Australia bit unlucky against Holland, were comfortably the better team, just a real lack of individual quality over the park.

I think Argentina are a bit overrated to be honest. They'll make it out of their group but i'm not convinced they'll get much further.

Australia bit unlucky against Holland, were comfortably the better team, just a real lack of individual quality over the park.

Argtenia are extremely good individually but that's not what it's about.

Australia were something special very proud.

Luis Suarez in trouble again...

Not having to play Internationals for 2 years (thus less travel and less games) could mean the likes of Barca and Real Madrid could also pay more for him due to that fact.

I can't see Real or Barca paying upwards of 80,000,000 Pounds for Suarez after this biting incident.

Honestly don't know what to think about him any more... Fantastic when his on song but jeez he makes it hard to really support him.

Main issue is now Liverpool won't get anywhere near his true value...

I think (hope) Liverpool won't mind keeping him if Barca or Real don't meet the rumoured amount to trigger the release clause in his contract.

A talent like James Rodriguez is wasted playing for Monaco. Breakout player of the World Cup.

Intense couple of matches overnight, both Argentina and Belgium needing extra time to get through, Tim Howard World Cup record 16 saves for the US :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back