Analysis Breaking out: The youngsters from your club who will step up in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

My big one is Vickery. I feel as though he will finally start to live up to the pick he was chosen at. My other picks are Castagna (can he be elevated from the rookie list next season?), Lennon, Vlastuin, and Brandon Ellis.

We really need one of Astbury and Elton to have a breakout year. While our current defence is good, it appears vulnerable to me. Also, we need at least one of Griffiths and McBean to become solid forwards next year
i'm not sold on the 3 talls up forward. I'd go with ty and jr and have Lennon as the leading player & Ellis and whoever else

i'm not sold on the 3 talls up forward. I'd go with ty and jr and have Lennon as the leading player & Ellis and whoever else
But McBean :(

I agree with the smaller forward line thing, so the best of Vickery, McBean and Griffiths will make the cut. The other two will become depth players. Hopefully at least one of the three will have a breakout season

3 talls will work (for us) next year.

Don't forget 4 on the bench with only 80 rotations. It means the average time a player sits on the bench in an average 30min quarter is 6mins. This is double the time from this season.

We should be able to rotate our 3 tall forwards like this

Rotation 1 - Maric (ruck), Vickery & Griffiths (forward)
Rotation 2 - Vickery or Griffiths (ruck), the other forward, Maric (bench)
Rotation 3 - Vickery or Griffiths (bench), the other forward, Maric (ruck)

Ideally we would have 3 talls on the ground for about half a game and 2 talls and 1 resting the other half.

That way Maric is fresh when in the ruck, playing about 65-75% game time, and the other two are fresh (in particular Griffiths) to play second ruck and stretch the opposition across field.

The other reason it will work is because we have improved our overall speed and fitness significantly in the this and last off-season.

Don't forget 4 on the bench with only 80 rotations. It means the average time a player sits on the bench in an average 30min quarter is 6mins. This is double the time from this season.

Ideally we would have 3 talls on the ground for about half a game and 2 talls and 1 resting the other half.

That way Maric is fresh when in the ruck, playing about 65-75% game time, and the other two are fresh (in particular Griffiths) to play second ruck and stretch the opposition across field.

The other reason it will work is because we have improved our overall speed and fitness. We've definitely improved this area significantly in the last two off-seasons.
That's not what I think he means, its a 3 tall fwd line and not including a ruck. So R1 here would be TV, BG and JR as well as the Maric in the ruck.

I mean a 3 tall forward line I just haven't mentioned Jack because he is a lock in the team.
Yeah sorry, it came across as it didn't include JR as a tall. He is and his rebound running reflects this, as it does for all talls generally. We don't run down from behind enough players, which is why another small helps.

The other reason it will work is because we have improved our overall speed and fitness significantly in the this and last off-season.
Agreed and a lot teams will probably play two rucks now the sub rule is gone so we can afford to go for a 3 tall forward line now.

Agreed and a lot teams will probably play two rucks now the sub rule is gone so we can afford to go for a 3 tall forward line now.

From the RFC site today DR says we dont have a ruck issue as with 4 on bench next year the velvet hammer has shown hes up to it mid last year...

Personally i would love the below to altenate

Talls JR, Vicks, Beanie
Mid HHF Lennon, Dusty, Lids
Smalls Yarren, titch

Would love for Townsend and/or Moore to blossom and allow Dusty & titch more time in F50, obviously including Lids to help out in Middle

Its horses for courses though if Hammer is playing well in 2s then for the Goldys, Freo etc then having 4 on bench he would be useful

Breaking out
870139dd15be8bea3fe534b667e82426.250x390x1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back