Brendan McCartney Re-Signs

Remove this Banner Ad

It was more of the popular players that got a lot of attention so they might have been annoyed at that.
But all the senior players and Prudden i spoke too were great and up for a chat.
I'm going to have to find a way to go next year, haha. I enjoy talking to them at the East-West Days and Family Days but it's too hard to get in a good chat while competing for their attention with 13 year old girls and 5 year olds kicking mini-footies at them, haha.

I'm going to have to find a way to go next year, haha. I enjoy talking to them at the East-West Days and Family Days but it's too hard to get in a good chat while competing for their attention with 13 year old girls and 5 year olds kicking mini-footies at them, haha.
Imagine how tough it would be for St Kilda supporters then...
I feel all sorts of wrong now:(

Macca said that he had a real crack at them last week on the back of it - because it showed disrespect.

Once again C4 - thanks for your insights. I think I'll nominate you for our Poster Of The Year Award this year! :p

Once again C4 - thanks for your insights. I think I'll nominate you for our Poster Of The Year Award this year! :p
Seeing as he doesn't support the Dogs I'm willing to take complete credit for everything he posted :thumbsu: :p

• Thinks the Kangaroos have created and developed their list perfectly, by "stock piling big bodies around the contest" (similar to Freo, Sydney, Hawthorn) and adding "outside fluff" this off-season (reference to Dal Santo).
  • Has had heated exchanges with Ryan Crowley - and enjoys reminding Crowley that he is a "fake tough guy" who never put his head or body over the pill in the TAC which is why he was overlooked by most teams in 2002 and was originally cut by Freo in 2004 (Matty Boyd says his three year old daughter talks more sense than Crowley on the park).
Words cannot describe how much I love this, as well as calling Dal Santo "outside fluff".

Thanks for all the info C4[2]Yo`DooR your info is always extremely interesting and on point, can you invite me to one of these meetings next time? :D

Is there anything that Rodney Eade and the people he had in power did/do that is better than Macca and the current board?

I don't think we'll know the answer for another 5-10 years so lets not build a 'Hird' mentality. Current signs sound good but lets get out of the bottom 4 on and off the field first. I'm sure that's Macca's goal too.

Is there anything that Rodney Eade and the people he had in power did/do that is better than Macca and the current board?

I don't think we'll know the answer for another 5-10 years so lets not build a 'Hird' mentality. Current signs sound good but lets get out of the bottom 4 on and off the field first. I'm sure that's Macca's goal too.
#standbymccartney

Would love it if Macrae can have a career like Dal Santo. I reckon he's ahead of him at the same age at the moment.
Better contested ball winner, but I just can't see macrae doing the same damage by foot as dal. Matches him for running power, spacial awareness and vision though, which is a big call.

Howdy folks

Sorry for the long winded post and for bumping this thread (I had no idea where-else to put this)... but I had breakfast with Macca this morning at an official function and then had a little chat to him afterwards, here is a little bit of what he had to say was happening:

1. When he first came the club there were prevalent problems that needed to be addressed as a matter of urgency. Firstly, there was a lack of trust in certain areas of the club and lack of accountability with certain departments "looking out for themselves" - gave specific examples which I won't detail publicly and secondly among the playing group there was a mentality of fear (from the previous regime) where players and clubs were fearful of doing anything without getting the "OK" from "management" and this led to a lot of negativity and pessimism from the playing group - where the youngsters especially played from a place of fear, whereas he is encouraging players to play freely and try to be innovative with ideas re: playing style and game plan etc (to an extent).

2. States that the Bulldogs will be the major beneficiary of Equalisation and the taxing of football department spending - as this will now allow them for the first time in the clubs history to significantly front end load contracts - meaning that players will be able to be enticed to the club and during the later years of that contract (when the player isn't on as much money)- the club can actively seek out more talent. Although, he says that the Clubs number one priority is player retention and development.

3. States that the club are excited to be starting a stronghold within the "western growth corridor" of Werribee, Tarneit, Hoppers Crossing, Truganina etc and that he is pushing the players to leave "lasting footprints" within the area when they contribute at school visits and auskick sessions. The club is starting to forge a real presence in this area.

4. Main focus at the moment besides coaching is building relationships around the club which were fractured when he first arrived, has a focus on player welfare where he wants "the pups" (1-3 year players) to have a sustainable balance of footy/lifestyle. Says that this was conveyed as a major selling point to players parents/guardians when conducting pre-draft interviews ... mentioned that he and Dalrymple would emphasize that they would take the parents "babies" and treat them as their own kids by giving them all of the support networks that an 18/19 year old would need and help them mature into men. On a side note when asked about any disappointments he mentioned that they were really keen on a player that North Melbourne took in the rookie draft, who hailed from a remote community and wanted to play for the doggies (and they were excited about him).

5. Said that they have to cater for players individually in terms of their mental well-being and gave some good examples of personality traits of particular senior players and how they deal with adversity (such as injuries) in differing manners, mentioned they had one particular player who needs "hard/tough love" on a consistent basis in order to help him cope with getting over injuries etc

6. He doesn't believe in the classification of outside and inside midfielders, said that clubs recruit players with the intention of playing them as both (such as Libba, Wallis, Honeychurch, Stevens etc) he said that his main focus was on kicking skills (they have a scoring system in place in which players need to score more than 80 to be considered in the first round) - although he said that intent and desire on the park often makes up for skill and finesse (and he gave the example of Clay Smith). He said that the club's previous recruiting model at the Draft Camp was flawed as they were told to look out for and focus on "outside run" which he believes is only a small component of the game.

7. Has ramped up player welfare and has started up various wellness programs with Joel Corey and Rohan Smith for some of the "mentally less resilient" players (I won't mention their names on here publicly), which is starting to pay dividends. Also mentioned that he focused on obtaining players from Geelong (Enright, Corey, Mooney) as they have come from successful clubs with good systems and can relay that to the younger players at the Bulldogs, on a side note - it was interesting listen to Matthew Boyd talk about how he and Joel Corey were on the same page in terms of career, football - however JC has three premierships from being exposed to a certain environment, whereas Boyd is still aiming for his first.

That's all I can think of for now, if I remember anything else, I'll keep you posted.
This has to be the greatest post on the doggies board, just some fantastic insight into the inner workings. Thanks once again C4 you're a champion!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back