Brendan McCartney

Remove this Banner Ad

McCartney had absolutely no game plan other than winning contested footy. After we got the ball we had no plan with McCartney.

No point having a magic game plan if you can't win the ball. Would have been part of a long term plan that he'd introduce phase by phase. Winning the ball is Phase A

What this guy (McCartney) has done for the Bulldogs is nothing short of a miracle.

Am I imagining that the dogs have a gun young list? If I'm "obsessed with giving McCartney credit" who do you think does deserve the credit for recruiting and developing that list?
You could equally argue that the players developed in spite of McCartney as coach.

McCartney is the mastermind behind the Dogs revival, he won't get the credit for it, but Beveridge has inherited a very good team put together by Brendan McCartney. Carlton should look at him as their next coach.

sadly 99% of doggies fans dont realize you have to teach defence to young players before you can let them off the leash.

if you don't you'll get another lot of outside downhill skiers and the dogs have done that before.

No point having a magic game plan if you can't win the ball. Would have been part of a long term plan that he'd introduce phase by phase. Winning the ball is Phase A
It's funny, because we won less games with an easier draw in 2014 compared to 2014 where he was mean introduce the next 'phase' and build on the contested ball.

sadly 99% of doggies fans dont realize you have to teach defence to young players before you can let them off the leash.

if you don't you'll get another lot of outside downhill skiers and the dogs have done that before.
I'm sorry if I watched every single Bulldogs game under McCartney's tenure and I have a different view on his game plan. Saying you have to teach defence before anything else is wrong (not that McCartney taught defence anyway, we were among the worst defensive teams in the league). In what way was he a successful coach with his tactical ethos?

I'm sorry if I watched every single Bulldogs game under McCartney's tenure and I have a different view on his game plan. Saying you have to teach defence before anything else is wrong (not that McCartney taught defence anyway, we were among the worst defensive teams in the league). In what way was he a successful coach with his tactical ethos?

did you want a team of downhill skiers or a team who can win their own ball?

Three years into a 'long term plan' and still produced the same rot week after week. 'We lost by 10 goals but we won the contested ball' wears thin after a while. Yes it's a huge aspect of the game, but being able to score more than your opposition is clearly more important - not something Brendan McCartney was capable of getting the team to do because his ONLY focus was contested ball.

Three years into a 'long term plan' and still produced the same rot week after week. 'We lost by 10 goals but we won the contested ball' wears thin after a while. Yes it's a huge aspect of the game, but being able to score more than your opposition is clearly more important - not something Brendan McCartney was capable of getting the team to do because his ONLY focus was contested ball.

Not sure if your serious but if you think McCarthy wasn't going to introduce more spread and a extended game plan you have no clue.

McCartney is the mastermind behind the Dogs revival, he won't get the credit for it, but Beveridge has inherited a very good team put together by Brendan McCartney. Carlton should look at him as their next coach.

A very good team that hardly anyone thought would make the top eight? I get that maybe people misread Footscray but Beveridge has been great. The gap between Carlton and Footscray's performances can't be purely put down to their lists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very good team that hardly anyone thought would make the top eight? I get that maybe people misread Footscray but Beveridge has been great. The gap between Carlton and Footscray's performances can't be purely put down to their lists.
The Dogs also had some good wins last year, this was a very predictable rise this year as the deadwood and disruptive influences who knifed the coach were weeded out and Beveridge is reaping the reward of three years good work.

Not sure if your serious but if you think McCarthy wasn't going to introduce more spread and a extended game plan you have no clue.
Nobody's that wasn't his intention. Just that he was unsuccessful at it, and the fact that I as a Bulldogs supporter had to see him coach only 20 wins in 3 seasons.

Are people forgetting what a shambles we were under him? We lost to 2013 Melbourne, one of the worst teams in history. We lost to them.

The Dogs also had some good wins last year, this was a very predictable rise this year as the deadwood and disruptive influences who knifed the coach were weeded out and Beveridge is reaping the reward of three years good work.
We also lost in a shambles in Round 23 to a GWS who had an injury list about twenty players deep, average experience of about twenty games per player, despite according to AFL Player Rankings Griffen playing the best game by any midfielder for the entire 2014 season.

The former coach is recognised as a development coach ... that is all. He lost the players and it is no coincidence that a number of our younger players have signed contract extension in recent weeks. Having lost senior players to other clubs at the end of last season, the club had to act with this bloke because there were 16 players whose contracts expired at the end of the 2015 season.

Top of the pile to go if he stayed were Talia and Dalhaus.

Geelong people can defend the bloke until the cows come home .... I am delighted that he is no longer there and we have a coach who has worked wonders to turn around the mess in a very short time.

Carlton's problem isn't in contested ball or clearances, it's their spread from the contest, kicking skills, poor forwards and fitness. I'm not sure McCarthey is the right guy for the job, since he's mostly about clearances and contested ball, which Carlton do okay in.
Not sure how to deliniate all their problems other than to say it all stems from being Carlton and not recognising the folly in that but their drafting has been a major long term issue. They can't spot talent. They have taken consensus early picks and got bugger all return beyond that. That's why their list is what it is in spite or plenty of draft access.

I have to say this regarding Geelong fans; I've never seen a fanbase so enraged when one of their ex-coaches is sacked from a position at another team. McCartney and Sanderson losing their positions seems to have made them furious. I've never noticed another fanbase do the same thing, but maybe I just missed it.

Sadly it's as blinkered and revisionist as those from the Dogs side saying the man did nothing to aid us. The truth (is out there) and somewhere in between.

McCartney killed some players love of playing, much of the negativity in our off season was strongly related to Macca and clearly his position become untenable. As said he was a good development coach, and he did that job quite well but we would not be 4-1 if he was still coach.

And I would have thought it was extremely obvious, but clearly he'll never be a senior coach again. I like him and wish him well, but he was not a great coach

I dont have too much of an opinion, but has Brendan had that god horrific monstrosity cut off the end of his nose yet ??
468544348-brendan-mccartney-the-assistant-coach-at-the-gettyimages.jpg

Seems to have sorted that nose skin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back