Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Recruited by Brisbane via Free Agency

Moloney%20-%20a.jpg

DOB: 28 Jan 1984
Drafted: Pick 4, PSD 2002

Total games: 145 (Geelong - 23, Melbourne - 122)
Goals: 37

Highest Brownlow count: 19 (2011)
Highest possession count: 38 (Rd 12 2012 versus Collingwood)

Ranked 5th in total clearances 2011, 3rd in clearances per game.

Contract status: 2013 - 2014

Moloney Desperate to Impress
June 13, 2011
Michael Horan

BRENT Moloney is itching to lead from the front in Melbourne's biggest game of the season, against premier Collingwood.

Moloney was re-reinstated as vice-captain and is back in the Demons' leadership group after being stood down for getting kicked out of a bar while on a drinking binge two months ago

111361-moloney.jpg

Brent Moloney Ready to Roar
October 12, 2012
Greg Davis

NEW Brisbane recruit Brent Moloney is ready and willing to help the Lions roar back into the AFL finals.

The former Melbourne star arrived at the Gabba late yesterday for a medical screening and his two-year deal with Brisbane will be formally announced as early as this morning.

The 28-year-old free agent met with Lions medical, strength and conditioning, and coaching staff and got the all clear from club powerbrokers last night.

The midfielder said he was determined to lift the Lions back into September action.

930215-brent-moloney.jpg

We suck at clearances + good clearance player = sounds good, but you can never be quite sure how these things will pan out.

Agreed, but considering we have to use the cap space somehow anyway it seems like a reasonable investment to make.

To predict how Moloney will go in 2013 probably requires asking why he went poorly in 2012. One Melbourne supporter said he got 'found out' when he was tagged, but I can't really see that a player in their 10th year would get found out. In 2009, 2010 and 2011 Moloney averaged over 23 disposals a game, so he had demonstrated good consistency until Neeld came along. Is he not compatible with Neeld's gameplan? (If so, in what way, and how does that bode for adapting to Voss' game plan?) Is Neeld just a bad coach who couldn't get the best out of him? Has Moloney lost the passion? (If so, will he get it back in Brisbane?) Or has the game gone past him?

How he goes in 2013 may end up reflecting strongly on Neeld.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moloney was number 32 at Geelong, 22 at Melbourne and Hawkesly just vacated number 12 at us. Do you guys notice the nice little pattern that's slowly gaining momentum? What are his chances of getting 12?

Moloney was number 32 at Geelong, 22 at Melbourne and Hawkesly just vacated number 12 at us. Do you guys notice the nice little pattern that's slowly gaining momentum? What are his chances of getting 12?
Yeah... 3+2=5, 2+2=4, 3=3... he will be offered SOKS old number? ;)

I think it was a gameplan change, along with trying to change his role he played in the team, instead of just letting him do what he does best naturally. I'm not expert on Melb, but I've seen a few comments about Neeld changing Beamers role, wanting him to improve parts of his game. A fresh start, new team, and going back to doing what he does best, clearances will see him do well with us next year.

Welcome Brent I hope you can find a home at the Lions!

Link

The Demons lost 295 games of experience and received just a third-round pick (No.49) in return. Snaring Shannon Byrnes from Geelong as a free agent watered down the Demons' compensation, but it was thought they would receive at least a second round pick for Moloney and Rivers.

Given the size of new contracts was a key part of the compensation formula, it is clear Rivers (to Geelong) and Moloney (to Brisbane Lions) are both on modest deals at their new clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back