Retired Brent Moloney (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

HIS numbers made beautiful reading but Brisbane on-baller Brent Moloney was more impressed by how the Lions midfield unit fought the good fight against a star-studded Sydney in the club’s final practice match at Burpengary on Saturday.

Moloney was clearly Brisbane’s best in the 27-point loss to the Swans, finishing with an equal game-high 34 disposals, eight clearances, eight inside 50 entries and one goal.

Apart from Adam Goodes and Luke Parker, Sydney fielded its strongest possible midfield against the Lions with Jarrad McVeigh, Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack, Ryan O’Keefe, Tom Mitchell and Daniel Hannebery among the Bloods’ best.

However, Brisbane did not take a backward step against their vaunted opponents with Moloney, Daniel Rich, Jack Redden, Ryan Lester, James Aish and Sam Mayes doing well for Brisbane.

Moloney was encouraged by what he saw, especially after the main break.

“We were competitive the whole day in the middle. We just couldn’t get the points on the board in the first half. In the second half we started to see some reward for the effort,’’ Moloney said.
“We can take some confidence out of that because we were good with the contested ball and stoppages which are real strengths of Sydney and we will need to be good again when we play Hawthorn in Round 1.

“If you are going to be a good side, you need a contribution from everyone. We got that against one of the best midfields in the AFL so that’s a real positive for us as a group.’’

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...tled-with-sydney/story-fni5f4q3-1226849519523

Inside Football player rating Rnd 1 Hawthorn Vs Brisbane Lions,

Worked hard around the stoppages but impact was limited a touch. 5/10 - Brett Anderson - Inside Football March 27, 2014

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

Ran hard to win plenty of the ball. Won six clearances and had 4 inside-50s. 7/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

Anybody have any more news on him? He isn't listed as injured and surely he would be in the side if fit? He's our best clearance player.
He's playing in the reserves, so presumably not injured. He's playing badly in the reserves, so he may not be our best anything any more. :(

He may have osteitis pubis? It's the only condition I can think of where players still play but with reduced output, as this can't be just a form issue.

Whatever the issue, i.e. form or injury or a combination of both, the demise of Maloney in 2014 is a disappointment that I can't unpack, particularly with the quantum of cubs we are playing and the injuries to experienced players such as Staker, McGrath, Rich and Berger.

Yeah it doesn't quite add up to me. It must be a structural issue because when he has played he hasn't been our worst.

I do recall Leppa saying Beamer was one inside mid too many and basically that Lester had his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of another career :(

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-08-11/moloney-hangs-up-his-boots

After 166 games and a career spanning 12 years, Brisbane Lions midfielder, Brent Moloney, today announced his retirement from AFL.

After several weeks battling an achilles injury, Moloney decided to hang up his boots, effectively immediately.

2014 has been a frustrating season for the veteran, with injuries limiting the 30-year-old to just five senior games for the Club.

Sucks that his body fell apart this year, he was extraordinarily valuable in 2013 and gave our young mids a big chop out while they developed. If Instragram is any guide, he was also one of the off-field social glue guys that kept the team tightly knit.

If there was no Beamer, there was no Miracle on Grass. He was instrumental in that fourth quarter and his clean clearance and booming goal from the centre square in the middle of that comeback will go down as my favourite Beamer memory.

Also will go down in history as our first ever free agency recruit. Thanks Brent.

Last edited:
Played his heart out for the club and left it all out on the field.

The catalyst against Geelong and has been a great mentor for our young mids.

Sad to see anybody retire because of injury, best of luck in the future, Brent.

Sad to see him fall to injury like those before him...Really would have helped us this year if he managed to get on the park but alas, not to be.

Wonder how many Melbourne supporters will come out of the woodwork and call us idiots for picking him up?

They'd look bloody stupid if they did. Cost us nothing as a free agent, and put in 100%.

Then as a side dish we also took Stefan Martin off their hands in exchange for two late draft picks we wouldn't have used.

Lion Moloney hangs up boots

AN ACHILLES injury has ended the career of Brisbane Lions midfielder Brent Moloney. “Brent is a fantastic character and we are fortunate to have had him as part of our Lions family,” Brisbane football manager Darren Warren said. “Brent has been a great mentor for our young playing list, in particular our midfielders and will be sorely missed around the club. “We wish him all the very best in his future endeavours.” He told the Lions website he wanted to be remembered as an “honest bloke” and a good teammate.

Good luck for the future I thought he was an astute signing too bad injuries wrecked his last season for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back