Retired Brent Staker (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

In further devastating news for the Lions, utility Brent Staker will not get on the park in 2014 after also sustaining a stress fracture in his foot. Staker was due to play in the NEAFL this weekend for the first time this season after recovering from a rare calf injury before his latest setback.

I doubt he will retire this year, he really wanted that 2nd year on his contract and I bet he would want to repay the club for the faith they have shown him. The only thing I would have to question about him is - has he still got the game to contribute to the team?
I do feel sorry for him though, since the end of his first season where he played every game, he has played 22 out of a possible 66 games.

Brisbane Lions swingman Brent Staker focused on returning to field after knee injury

“I’ve lost count of how many comebacks I’ve attempted but I’m tracking well for next season. I’ve got a lot of motivation and a lot of drive for next year so I’ve come back in pretty good shape,’’ he said.

“I want to contribute to the team. It’s not nice to be on the sidelines. “I felt out of the loop a lot last year. Nothing went right for me. “I got fit halfway through the year then copped the stress fracture which topped it all off.

“You can drag your hands along the ground or you can pick yourself up and try again.

Brisbane Lions hope Brent Staker can bounce back after missing last year with injury

BRISBANE coach Justin Leppitsch expects veteran swingman Brent Staker to conquer his “mental demons’’ in his long-awaited comeback from injury on Saturday.

Staker missed the entire 2014 AFL season with a calf injury but will take his place in the Lions forward line for the NAB Challenge pre-season clash with St Kilda at Burpengary.

Leppitsch expects Staker to be “rusty’’ but there was no denying his value to a Brisbane squad that is the second youngest in the AFL.

399274-a13aa4a4-be27-11e4-a0d8-62fd782d4449.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast Suns - 04/04/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

I thought he improved this week. He spent more time as an inside mid on the weekend, getting him back playing footy again and around the ball. He had 20 touches as an inside mid – worked pretty hard. We probably need to get him spending some time resting deep forward as well to give him some more game time. It’s just good to have him back playing consistent footy at the moment.

Boy oh boy do we need him right now though. I think we really almost have to just chuck him into the seniors.

Even if not in great form his presence will straighten us up, make us a better side

Boy oh boy do we need him right now though. I think we really almost have to just chuck him into the seniors.

Even if not in great form his presence will straighten us up, make us a better side
Yeah this. I can't see how we could not keep him in.

Unfortunately for Staker I think that this will almost certainly be the end for him if its a full tear. Couldn't see him returning again this year and I would doubt he will be offered a contract for next year, here or anywhere else. Just one of those guys whose body just never could stand up to the rigours of AFL football for long enough to really get a solid run at it (at least in his time in Bris). Joins his footy fix mate in that dept.

Unfortunately for Staker I think that this will almost certainly be the end for him if its a full tear. Couldn't see him returning again this year and I would doubt he will be offered a contract for next year, here or anywhere else. Just one of those guys whose body just never could stand up to the rigours of AFL football for long enough to really get a solid run at it (at least in his time in Bris). Joins his footy fix mate in that dept.
I read one week? But will wait for the report I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back