Opinion Brian Lake: Will he play on in 2016?

Will Lake play on in 2015?

• Yes

Votes: 196 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 13.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hear Lake hasnt been offered another contract an the Hawkes are interested in Robbie Tarrant from North Melbourne
It's possible, but Lake's also quite old, his knee is bandaged every week and there's still 2 and a bit months of footy to go (hopefully).

Lake will most likely either play one more year with us or retire. No point committing that cap space now when Lake or any potential replacement could do an ACL injury or similar injury that puts them out for 2016.

Last edited:
It's possible but he's also quite old, his knee is bandaged every week and there's still 2 and a bit months of footy to go (hopefully).

Lake will most likely either play one more year with us or retire. No point committing that cap space now when Lake or any potential replacement could do an ACL injury or similar injury that puts them out for 2016.
Robbie Tarranmt isnt that old . http://www.nmfc.com.au/player-profile/robbie-tarrant . i think Tarrant would be good get for the Hawkes, AFAIK he's playing some good football, going by what James Brayshaw was saying

It's possible, but Lake's also quite old, his knee is bandaged every week and there's still 2 and a bit months of footy to go (hopefully).

I think if we three peat Brian may retire.

I think if we three peat Brian may retire.
I agree that would be the sensible option. How many players can say they retired after 3 straight flags? Not many I bet.

But if he's keen to go around again, is fit and willing to take minimum wage and play a good chunk of the season in VFL why would we turn him away?

I read somewhere he definitely wants to play on.

In a shallow draft and Brand / Heatherly still a year away, I don't see why we wouldn't keep him for another year.

Brand and Heatherley are both out of contract at the end of next season. They would have clubs sniffing around them offering them guaranteed playing time (somewhat akin to how Sydney snared Kennedy from us a few years ago) and they would be more prepared to listen to those offers if they feel that Hawthorn isn't prepared to give them playing time in the seniors.

Hawthorn needs to make a tough decision as to whether to hang on to Lake for another season or wish him well and start the transition to the next generation of key defenders (FWIW, I think Heatherley profiles more as a third tall defender than a true key defender, whereas Brand has the tools to play full back provided his body holds together and he can build up bulk).

Given that Lake has twice publicly pleaded/demanded a new contract from Hawthorn, it seems the Hawks are at this point leaning towards putting their trust in the next generation of defenders to help Frawley.

Brand and Heatherley are both out of contract at the end of next season. They would have clubs sniffing around them offering them guaranteed playing time (somewhat akin to how Sydney snared Kennedy from us a few years ago) and they would be more prepared to listen to those offers if they feel that Hawthorn isn't prepared to give them playing time in the seniors.

Hawthorn needs to make a tough decision as to whether to hang on to Lake for another season or wish him well and start the transition to the next generation of key defenders (FWIW, I think Heatherley profiles more as a third tall defender than a true key defender, whereas Brand has the tools to play full back provided his body holds together and he can build up bulk).

Given that Lake has twice publicly pleaded/demanded a new contract from Hawthorn, it seems the Hawks are at this point leaning towards putting their trust in the next generation of defenders to help Frawley.

Hypothetically speaking, if Kurt Heatherley was eligible for the 2013 national draft, would he have been a high draft pick?

Hawks probably figure that lake could go around again, but they don't want everyone retiring at once ( space out retirements) Lake is probably on a good quid so if they could get a Tarrant on less cash it is a pretty good scenario.

Hypothetically speaking, if Kurt Heatherley was eligible for the 2013 national draft, would he have been a high draft pick?

I wouldn't have thought so. Probably a mid-round pick or late rounder. His kicking looks very awkward and mechanical. He's a devil on the field - immense competitive spirit and desire to win - but there are some pretty rough edges that need to smoothed out before he becomes a reliable AFL defender, IMO.

From memory when we picked him up I read somewhere he was worth a top 20 pick.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...olarship-holders/story-fni5f8ge-1226769929436

Jay Clark said the following

While Tatupu has spent time working closely with Jarryd Roughead, Heatherley is a quick and agile rebounding defender who was thought to be a top-20 draft pick, had the Hawks not already taken him off the free market five years ago.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was the night he had to be thrown forward.

Has earnt another season. Has been very consistent this year. One of my alltime favourites. I still think about how much of a struggle it would have been the last two season withot him. Made a good side great.

Frawley pretty much forced the pen into HFC hands with his performance last night.
Yeh he did,I would have thought this was lakes last year with the club.with club bringing in the new generation slowly.but watching last nights game maybe one more year

Lake is still our best contested mark by a country mile and is playing well enough for another year.

Easily. No defender in the competition reads the high-ball coming into the defensive 50 better then Lake. His timing is exceptional.

I be happy to get Tarrant if it means we lose Lake then we just have to because as good as Lake has been no one knows how he will be next year..!

He absolutely deserves to be signed, but why sign him now? he's not going to change clubs.

Sign him the day after our season finishes, as long as he is still in one peice.

Ridiculous how much of an impact he has had here. He is almost our most important player, even at his age.

I'm seriously worried about Frawley, he will get much better in contested situations but his lack of composure with ball in hand, terrible disposal etc won't improve for mine. I saw him do the same around the corner snap kicks out of the back 50 with the Dees for years. In our system that is a huge no no. Given we won't be getting rid of Frawley, I think Lake goes. Even though I think he deserves the extra year.

Brand hasn't & won't play a game all season - he needs 2016 to learn & recover from what he's missed & he's now less likely than likely. Lithers & Heatherly aren't KPD. We're better when Gibbo & Stratts (& Schoey or Spanker) don't have to play KPD.

If he's physically able, we sign him for 2016. How is this even a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back