Opinion Bring Bomber Thompson back as an assistant coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep we have been pretty ordinary with poaching but if it gives you any solace, at least that gives us the 'moral high ground.' Hawks have been brilliant poachers but its cherry picking a really good player from a vulnerable club-and in the end, that boosts the Hawks but weakens the struggling clubs and so makes the comp more inequitable. Those players will only go to a strong club, the weaker clubs have no pulling power to poach. I don't want to see and EPL scenario here, same old, same old. The AFL needs rules to control that sort of poaching imo.
We could and we should be Hawthorn but we don't poach. If we did what they do we'd probably cop another premiership

We could and we should be Hawthorn but we don't poach. If we did what they do we'd probably cop another premiership
Yep, and no doubt I would take another flag by hook or by crook, but its an ethical cost, isn't it? And its to the detriment of the comp, isn't it?
And who knows if we would be in their position anyway-its not just recruiting they do well-its admin, its fitness, its coaching. Who cares about the hawks- they have rotten colors and their football at its best is still not as entertaining as ours was. Let's just concentrate on us.

Yep, and no doubt I would take another flag by hook or by crook, but its an ethical cost, isn't it? And its to the detriment of the comp, isn't it?
And who knows if we would be in their position anyway-its not just recruiting they do well-its admin, its fitness, its coaching. Who cares about the hawks- they have rotten colors and their football at its best is still not as entertaining as ours was. Let's just concentrate on us.
So the 2008 flag they were dogs and rushed over behinds and cheated, they lost a granny, and won the next two and look set to threepeat from exploiting the free agency system so I don't care how many premierships the Dawks win they all have a * to their name like Eagles 06

Yeah! So there!!!
Cop that, Hawks!!!

Lol

You're funny, romeoh :) I like it :D

Put politely, do you really think that matters?

We can't. We went as hard as we could after Frawley but couldn't match the allure of Hawthorn. Hawthorn also had to give up a premiership player and pick 9 for Burgoyne and we couldn't go anywhere near that, then Lake, Gibson and Hale were all cheap gambles that paid off. Hawthorn also effectively gave up on the entire 2012 draft when they got Gunston.

There's another thread on this board a while back debating about the merits of Geelong as an attractive destination for Free Agents as compared to the big Melbourne clubs, you may be interested.

Put politely, do you really think that matters?
Haha well think I did preface my comment acknowledging that! And no doubt I would take any flag but am genuinely pleased that our club did all the hard yards and got our flags off our own bat and in a decent manner.
But yep, I do think the integrity of the comp matters- we might be down the bottom one day and if a power club swooped on our best player I'd be seriously underwhelmed. It means the good clubs stay on top too long and the weak clubs stay down for too long. I'd like the doggies to do well, and the Saints. Why not share success around? We have been very lucky.

So the 2008 flag they were dogs and rushed over behinds and cheated, they lost a granny, and won the next two and look set to threepeat from exploiting the free agency system so I don't care how many premierships the Dawks win they all have a * to their name like Eagles 06
Make no mistake, they won that game fair and square. Or, more to the point, we lost it. It wasn't a wipe-blood-on-jumper level of contravention of the rules and it wasn't the different between winning and losing.

However, I do admire your Hawthorn-hating passion.

We can't. We went as hard as we could after Frawley but couldn't match the allure of Hawthorn. Hawthorn also had to give up a premiership player and pick 9 for Burgoyne and we couldn't go anywhere near that, then Lake, Gibson and Hale were all cheap gambles that paid off. Hawthorn also effectively gave up on the entire 2012 draft when they got Gunston.

There's another thread on this board a while back debating about the merits of Geelong as an attractive destination for Free Agents as compared to the big Melbourne clubs, you may be interested.
Yep but if you look at what the Hawks gave up, its not such high picks. They didn't take such a gamble because they picked up proven, ready-made players-they knew what they were getting, and where they would slot in, whereas in the draft, it can turn out anyway. Very clever of them.

Yep but if you look at what the Hawks gave up, its not such high picks. They didn't take such a gamble because they picked up proven, ready-made players-they knew what they were getting, and where they would slot in, whereas in the draft, it can turn out anyway. Very clever of them.
My point is more so that none of them were really realistic targets for the GFC. I agree, it's worked brilliantly for Hawthorn, but we weren't in a position pre-FA to afford players like Gunston and Burgoyne, and we're not a Melbourne club so getting players like Frawley against such competition is tough.

Link me

My point is more so that none of them were really realistic targets for the GFC. I agree, it's worked brilliantly for Hawthorn, but we weren't in a position pre-FA to afford players like Gunston and Burgoyne, and we're not a Melbourne club so getting players like Frawley against such competition is tough.
Yep exactly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah similarly I think we recall in the 2013 PF Jimmy Bartel resorted to torps out of defence at one stage, like there is no in between us trying to zing the ball around at one extreme or just blindly bombing at the other. Maybe there is something to be said for a little bit of Malthouse style conservatism when the heat is on, just to control the ball or at least have it blocked up along the boundary to get some composure back. If we concede we're not going to bring it out with ease any more maybe we start utilising our talls more regularly in that safety capacity when the heat is on, pushing up between wing & half back, a mix of Blicavs, Clark, Hawkins, McIntosh etc to give us that long target that is at least (hopefully) not going to get out marked. On the telly it looked like the strategy was give it to Motlop and see if he can weave his way through the middle. I'd have liked to have seen it live, apparently our forward line was vacant for a lot of the time yet we still couldn't bottle it up at their end.

The other thing to be said there is we don't seem to have too many reliable penetrating kicks in defence any more, either for kickins or the guys you want to give it to inside defensive 50 to clear the area with some purpose. Is Boris taking most of the kick ins these days?

The biggest thing that I noticed on Monday was how much quicker hawthorn were consistently able to set up than we were. When we had possession of the ball in our backline they had already either set up their defensive zone or maned up our players before we even starter to make any leads. When they had the ball in their backline they were able to lead into open space before we set up our defensive zone and when we attempted to go one on one we always trailed them by 5-10 metres.

I don't know if this is due to fitness or because they read the play and make quicker decisions than we do.

The biggest thing that I noticed on Monday was how much quicker hawthorn were consistently able to set up than we were. When we had possession of the ball in our backline they had already either set up their defensive zone or maned up our players before we even starter to make any leads. When they had the ball in their backline they were able to lead into open space before we set up our defensive zone and when we attempted to go one on one we always trailed them by 5-10 metres.

I don't know if this is due to fitness or because they read the play and make quicker decisions than we do.
Bews, Blicavs, Caddy, Cockatoo, Clark, Gregson, Lang, Guthrie, Smedts and Clark. That's 10 blokes with less than 100 games experience. That's your answer I'd say. Every week we essentially send a team of two halves out on the field.

Overall, apart from having more good footballers than us, they are more skilled than us, and in particular they are significantly faster than us.

Overall, apart from having more good footballers than us, they are more skilled than us, and in particular they are significantly faster than us.
Yep their speed was rather noticeable wasn't it? Quite a contrast, and maybe contributed to our players not bothering to man up after awhile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back