Opinion Bring Bomber Thompson back as an assistant coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't Knights' great strength player development? If so, we don't need BT back. He has had his day.

Does everyone remember after 5-6 years of coaching, we were calling for BTs head - and it almost fell after 2006.
Does everyone remember how BT left Geelong, and the associated staff he took with him?
Does everyone remember how destabilizing 2010 was with BT and Junior going at it?
Does everyone remember how critical we were of BT's game day coaching?
Does everyone remember how we were sure, and said over and over and over again - BT has no plan B!
Does everyone remember BT was on the staff at EFC! That's right - the dopers!

Clarkson is the #1 coach ATM.
But Scott is at the bottom of the second bracket - behind Roos/Lyin/Hinkley - all of whom have 1 flag between them. Same number as Scott.

They are all way older than Scott as well. Chris Scott is a baby - only 38! Yet to coach 100. He is 8 years and 135/140 odd games behind Clarkson right now, re age and experience.

Scott could be our next Premiership coach, as well as being our last. I think he deserves at least 3 more seasons to build the whole team as his. When is he contracted to - 2017? Good! That's 3 more seasons. ;)
I agree, he is in his Infancy as a coach and should be given time to eb and flow as does a young player during their first 5 years.

Also, wtf does Brian Taylor have to do with anything? ;)

Geez. I remember that at the start of 2011 we had lost Gaz, lost Bomber, been embarrassed by the Pies in the prelim, and things looked pretty dour. The common agreement was that the Cats were gone, and that Collingwood were settling in for a new dynasty.

If, before round 1 2011, you had told me that we could have a coach who would
  • deliver a premiership
  • have us playing finals each year for the next four years
  • have us finishing top 4 for 3 of the next four years
  • replenish our list with youngsters while keeping us competitive
  • have a 75% win/loss record
I would have either begged you for a coach like that, or laughed in your face.

Great post.

I reckon its a top idea, love him back at the club. People slagging Bomber must have shot memories, for Christs sake he brought 2 Premierships to our great club and really had one hand on the one Chris Scott lifted. However he left us I don't give a rats tossbag, If the club are pushing for excellence then why not try get the best available. I thought a change was needed in our assistant coaching, seems that the same blokes have been there for long time.
Behind Al Clarkson there wouldn't be a better modern day coach around. Chris Scott can coach, but sometimes, as the old saying goes, two heads are better than one, #bringbackbomber
Love your posts Nipple, but just can not agree here.
Bomber is not even welcome at Essendon, was denied the GC job behind Eade of all people, and has effectively lost some kudos.
His last year at Geelong was messy at best- dealing with Ablett petulantly, while at the same time, arranging his next job at Essendon.
His coaching in 2010 was stale, the players were stale and disgruntled.
Scott has not had the list to work with that Bomber had, yet every year we are top 8.
Bomber was hugely criticised for no plan B, and mostly we accepted it as our plan A was so good.
I do agree that it would be great for Scott to have some help in the box, some recognised mentor type who had no agenda in taking over the role, but Bomber is not that man.
Maybe Brett Ratten,- pretty cushy at Hawthorn, could use a challenge, and has some insights I would imagine from his time under Clarko.
I seriously love Bomber, and he was exactly what we needed for all those years, and 2 flags under him was unreal. But he needs a different plan B of his own, it would seem. He has an amazing life outside of footy already, watching the Hangar last year.

Last edited:
Geez. I remember that at the start of 2011 we had lost Gaz, lost Bomber, been embarrassed by the Pies in the prelim, and things looked pretty dour. The common agreement was that the Cats were gone, and that Collingwood were settling in for a new dynasty.

If, before round 1 2011, you had told me that we could have a coach who would
  • deliver a premiership
  • have us playing finals each year for the next four years
  • have us finishing top 4 for 3 of the next four years
  • replenish our list with youngsters while keeping us competitive
  • have a 75% win/loss record
I would have either begged you for a coach like that, or laughed in your face.

But what I find interesting, is that now that Geelong are not the great threat to the Premiership that they once were, the Premiership win of 2011 is downplayed on Scott's behalf and attributed to him inheriting a premiership team.

I think that Chris Scott also had 9 kids make their debut in 2011.

In my opinion, Chris Scott has a poor track record as coach since the 2012 Grand Final. Even though he is a wonderful media performer, he appears to have surrounded himself with YES people on his coaching panel. A couple of questions have to surround the make up of his coaching panel:

1)How on earth did Geelong give Matthew Knights a job at Geelong? He sent the Essendon backwards from 2008 to 2010 and his only supporters were Kevin Bartlett and Patrick Smith.

2)Why did Chris Scott appoint Shane O'Bree onto the coaching panel?

3)Why was not David Wheadon asked to return to Geelong to assist in the development of the 1st to 4th year players?

In addition to this:

People forget that he won the 2011 Grand Final on the back of Bomber Thompson's good work. Chris Scott had Brendan Sanderson and Duncan Kellaway at the club in 2011. In 2013, we blew our chance to win another Grand Final and he tore the fabric of the club by getting rid of Chappy!!

Taylor Hunt is making most of his 2nd chance at Richmond. I was surprised that he was delisted last year. What baffled me was Jordan Murdoch and Billy Smedts should have been delisted ahead of him. Smedts has not taken his chances.

Chris Scott can keep on drafting youngsters and turning them over. But, the key to building a dynasty is hiring the best teaching coaches who have played AFL football. Why did not Chris Scott offer Joel Corey a position at the end of last year?

CONCLUSION

The Cats have to bring back Bomber Thompson!

I don't hate Bomber, but I can't help but think the karma bus has paid him a little visit.
It's funny because I genuinely like the guy and have no ill feelings towards him but I have thought the same thing myself. I wonder if he would do things differently if he had his time over again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't even know where to start with the above post...
I wouldn't. But I'm really tempted.

I'll take one for the team. I've just gotten home and need to wind down before bed.

In my opinion, Chris Scott has a poor track record as coach since the 2012 Grand Final.
Yes, going 18/4 and 17/5 in the Home and Away seasons and making a prelim and a semi final while turning over an ageing list is a terrible record that quite frankly every coach bar Clarkson would murder for.
Even though he is a wonderful media performer, he appears to have surrounded himself with YES people on his coaching panel. A couple of questions have to surround the make up of his coaching panel:

1)How on earth did Geelong give Matthew Knights a job at Geelong? He sent the Essendon backwards from 2008 to 2010 and his only supporters were Kevin Bartlett and Patrick Smith.
Under Knights the VFL side won a flag in 2012, was the best team for all of 2013 but bottled it on the day. Knights was unfairly pilloried at Essendon - he inherited an ordinary side reliant on veterans and had no chance when Goldenballs decided he wanted the job.

3)Why was not David Wheadon asked to return to Geelong to assist in the development of the 1st to 4th year players?
Why not Shane O'Bree? Yes they played together, who gives a damn? David Wheadon is literally old enough to receive a pension, so that probably answers that question. Finally, Scott won't be the only voice in charge of recruitment at the GFC.

In addition to this:

People forget that he won the 2011 Grand Final on the back of Bomber Thompson's good work.
No, they don't. He inherited a team that Thompson put together - but at the start of 2011 I thought we were a very, very long way from winning another flag. He changed the gameplan, got the older players to buy in to change, and started playing guys like Christensen, Menzel, Vardy and Duncan, which rejuvenated the club. He certainly inherited a talented team, but didn't ride Bomber's coat-tails.

Chris Scott had Brendan Sanderson and Duncan Kellaway at the club in 2011.
Gee I wonder why we lost Sando? I seem to remember he got a reasonable offer somewhere else... I'm not sure what your point is here to be honest.

In 2013, we blew our chance to win another Grand Final and he tore the fabric of the club by getting rid of Chappy!!
Don't kid yourself into thinking that we were as good as Hawthorn or Freo that September - up forward we had one key forward who could barely move and another well past his best, and no full-time ruckman. The scoreboard flattered us in that Preliminary Final.

As for getting rid of Chappy - there are entire threads devoted to this, but Chappy wanted two years and to be played in the first team, and to be honest I think the club was right to say no given his history with hamstring injuries. Don't forget that in 2013 he'd only played eight games due to injury. Chappy was made an offer, he wanted more, we said no, fair enough.

Taylor Hunt is making most of his 2nd chance at Richmond. I was surprised that he was delisted last year. What baffled me was Jordan Murdoch and Billy Smedts should have been delisted ahead of him. Smedts has not taken his chances.
Taylor Hunt is two years older and has played significantly more games than either of them. More to the point, he was going backwards, and players like Hartman and Jansen were going past him in the VFL. Hunt more than had his chance at Geelong and didn't take it. I know people like to rag on Smedts and Murdoch - in Murda's case, I think the criticism was unreasonable last year, as he'd demonstrably improved over 2013. I'll admit his preseason form was really disappointing.

Chris Scott can keep on drafting youngsters and turning them over. But, the key to building a dynasty is hiring the best teaching coaches who have played AFL football. Why did not Chris Scott offer Joel Corey a position at the end of last year?
What on earth had Corey done to earn it over Matthew Knights? It's generally not healthy for clubs to immediately re-hire their ex-legends as coaches, they need to be at a club where they start from zero, are exposed to new challenges, new systems and new solutions. You do not want young rookie coaches in their own echo chamber.

Furthermore, players like Blitz, Christensen, Guthrie, Caddy, Motlop, Duncan, Lonergan, Hawkins and Murdoch have improved a lot over the last few years. Scott was the one who expressly started introducing new players from Guthrie in his very first game coached - and without this development, we would, quite frankly, be stuffed.
CONCLUSION

Bomber was a great coach but you cannot stay in the same place for too long. His time was up, he was tired and he accepted it, too. However, you really undersell the club's performance since 2011 and the degree to which the club has been rejuvenated. We hear all the time about how our club is the model for how to sustainably turn over an ageing list; there's a reason for that, and the reason is the change of direction that we undertook in 2011.

In my opinion, Chris Scott has a poor track record as coach since the 2012 Grand Final. Even though he is a wonderful media performer, he appears to have surrounded himself with YES people on his coaching panel. A couple of questions have to surround the make up of his coaching panel:

In addition to this:

People forget that he won the 2011 Grand Final on the back of Bomber Thompson's good work. Chris Scott had Brendan Sanderson and Duncan Kellaway at the club in 2011. In 2013, we blew our chance to win another Grand Final and he tore the fabric of the club by getting rid of Chappy!!

CONCLUSION

Maybe ring sen chief

Why not Shane O'Bree?

he didn't exactly have Victorian teams lining up for his services after his midfield coaching role at the Gold Coast Suns in 2011/2012. Did he actually work there in 2012? Not sure, but if so, their clearance work wasn't anything special. It certainly seems to have improved after his departure though. Whether that has a lot to do with their team maturing into their roles or he's simply not a good teacher is debatable.

Have you not heard the clown
He rings regularly

Total clown, they don't give him too much time, calls himself the governor

Is he the new 'Brad from Eltham' ?

I haven't listened to SEN for a couple of years.Some of the hosts are bad enough and then it's topped off by the crackpots that ring up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back