FB: C.JOHNSON M.MICHAEL J.PATFULL

HB: P.HANLEY* J.LEPPITSCH J.ADCOCK*

C: T.ROCKLIFF* S.BLACK L.POWER

HF: J.AKERMANIS J.BROWN (vc) D.ZORKO*

FF: D.BRADSHAW A.LYNCH C.MCRAE

RR: M.LEUENBERGER* M.VOSS (c) N.LAPPIN

INT: J.REDDEN* M.ASHCROFT M.RISCHITELLI D.RICH*

COACH: LEIGH MATTHEWS

anything done by players prior to 1999 is not included even if they ended their careers after that time.

pretty strong team! thoughts?

Nice try.

Chris Scott and Daryl White should be there. Tim Notting, over the named period, did more than a lot of the current day players you've selected. Arguably Pike too. Id have Crackers as the ruck - given none of our rucks have been unaffected by injury, he is the one with the best record. Brad Scott's career is underrated.

Indeed, I struggle to get any more than a couple of current players (Patfull and Rockliff) into the side.

from 1999-2014...

FB: C.JOHNSON M.MICHAEL J.PATFULL

HB: P.HANLEY* J.LEPPITSCH J.ADCOCK*

C: T.ROCKLIFF* S.BLACK L.POWER

HF: J.AKERMANIS J.BROWN (vc) D.ZORKO*

FF: D.BRADSHAW A.LYNCH C.MCRAE

RR: M.LEUENBERGER* M.VOSS (c) N.LAPPIN

INT: J.REDDEN* M.ASHCROFT M.RISCHITELLI D.RICH*

COACH: LEIGH MATTHEWS

anything done by players prior to 1999 is not included even if they ended their careers after that time.

pretty strong team! thoughts?
Can't believe no Crackers Keating in the team our midfielders fed off him beautifully... and not to forget Little Boy Hart!

Interesting, here's my take.

FB: Patfull Michael Johnson
HB: Ashcroft Lepptisch Hanley
C: Lappin Black Notting
HF: Akermanis Brown White
FF: McRAe Lynch Bradshaw
Foll: Rockliff Voss Keating*
Int: Hart Power CScott Adcock

I really struggled with the Ruck spot. I don't think we have had a top level ruck in that time. Crackers gets the nod because of what he did in finals, but if we had been able to look at their entire body of work in Brisbane, I would have likely gone with Doc Clarke who won a B and F playing ruck,

Interesting, here's my take.

FB: Patfull Michael Johnson
HB: Ashcroft Lepptisch Hanley
C: Lappin Black Notting
HF: Akermanis Brown White
FF: McRAe Lynch Bradshaw
Foll: Rockliff Voss Keating*
Int: Hart Power CScott Adcock

I really struggled with the Ruck spot. I don't think we have had a top level ruck in that time. Crackers gets the nod because of what he did in finals, but if we had been able to look at their entire body of work in Brisbane, I would have likely gone with Doc Clarke who won a B and F playing ruck,
Clarke won in 97 outside of 15 years and Keating was hugely more effective than any other ruck we have had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always though Keating was a little bit over-rated. There was very little subtlety or skill to his ruck style, it was to thump it as hard as he could towards our goal and leave our ground level players to clean it up but, blunt instrument though he was he was though he was hugely effective and a key part of our success if we define players by their performances in finals Keating was a star. I think a case can be made that Charmo and Leuenberger were better players but in terms of impact I would go keating.

I suspect Keating had more tricks in his bag but just played to his strengths.

Could also play forward too. He understood forward line movement. Over time though, he became a bit too slow/unwieldy to play as a permanent forward.

Could also play forward too. He understood forward line movement. Over time though, he became a bit too slow/unwieldy to play as a permanent forward.

I also suspect that the coach might have said something along the lines of

"Crackers, you've got Blacky, Power, Aker, Voss, Lappin, Hart, McFly, just thump it", and when the coach is Lethal it probably pays to do as youa re told.

At the end of the day If I wanted to watch, classy, elegant tap ruckwork, I would go Doc Clarke every time. If I wanted to watch my team win, I'd lean towards Keating.

The most influential player across the first two flags IMO. Hugely underrated by many. Didn't matter in the third, 'twas over early doors.

I think Keating was one of the most underrated players ever. When they change the rules to stop you that says something and they changed the rules three times to stop Keating, mainly on the bleating of one E. McGuire.

a) introduction of the outer circle at the ruck contest was to stop Keating coming from the edge of the square and smashing anybody in front of him
b) cant hit it out on the full from a boundary throw in, was a direct result of us playing Collingwood and Keating continually hitting it from our point post all the way around the ground to the Collingwood point post. We then scored a goal from the next throw in. McGuire commentating the game called for an immediate rule change.
c) cant take it on the full out of a ruck contest, another of Keatings best tricks.

At his best he was the best. Missed a lot of games because he played with no sense of self preservation.

Not sure even Rockliff should be in this team, possibly squeeze on bench.
I think two B&Fs, albeit in a struggling side, puts him in the mix. When you add an All Australian selection and a very good Brownlow finish last year, I think he's gotta be there. I'd have Rockliff as a superior footballer to Hart, for example.

Ideally, if in the future we talk about the best side from 1999 to 2018, the likes of Rich, Beams etc start to push out the lesser lights from the premiership era.

I think Keating was one of the most underrated players ever. When they change the rules to stop you that says something and they changed the rules three times to stop Keating, mainly on the bleating of one E. McGuire.

a) introduction of the outer circle at the ruck contest was to stop Keating coming from the edge of the square and smashing anybody in front of him
b) cant hit it out on the full from a boundary throw in, was a direct result of us playing Collingwood and Keating continually hitting it from our point post all the way around the ground to the Collingwood point post. We then scored a goal from the next throw in. McGuire commentating the game called for an immediate rule change.
c) cant take it on the full out of a ruck contest, another of Keatings best tricks.

At his best he was the best. Missed a lot of games because he played with no sense of self preservation.

To be fair, the first was to prevent the increasing number of injuries to ruckmen when knees clashed. Although I enjoy watching the days of the long run-up, I think this could be argued to be a successful move.

The second I perceived as a growing trend for teams time-wasting to continually thump the ball out of play (this was more effective when time off wasn't blown when the ball went out of play). I once saw a dominant Justin Madden take Carlton from one end of the ground to the other using this tactic when the Blues were kicking into a howling breeze. It's also an extension of the deliberate OOB rule.

The third, well, Damian Monkhorst and a few others also used to employ this trick. I don't think you could say it was Keating's "trick".

I'm not sure many would argue that all 3 rule changes haven't improved the game. The first has agruably reduced injuries, the other two have made the ruckmen do what ruckmen should be doing - tapping/hitting the ball.

I have to agree with everyones comments regarding Keating, he was very underrated and his work in the premierships was pivotal.

B. Johnson Michael White
HB. Ashcroft Leppitsch Pike
C. Hanley Lappin Drummond
HF. Brown Akermanis Hart
F. Power Lynch Bradshaw
R. Keating Voss Black
I. McDonald Rockliff McRae A Scott

A very hard task. I have between 12-15 automatics. I wouldn't pick a side from that era without Pike in it and I couldn't decide on which Scott but I'd want one of them there. I am sure I would have left someone out who should have been there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back