gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
NRL a planning to introduce an expansion team in Brisbane and calling them the Brisbane 'Bombers' by 2018

Should the AFL do everything in its power to prevent the name 'Bombers' being used as AFL fans, the Bombers name is a piece of real estate, an intangible asset that's part of the AFL culture. I have no issue having an NRL expansion team but not using the Bombers name
I think Gillon should take the NRL to Court and stop it ASAP
Thoughts?

Source
http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au

Last edited:

I agree, Bombers is such a unique nickname for a sporting team, how Essendon hasn't got this nickname copyrighted at least in Australia I just don't know.

I remember when Melbourne Heart came decided to call themselves heart, Heart of Midlothian F.C (Hearts F.C) in Scotland were going to take legal action, they couldn't do anything though.

I agree, Bombers is such a unique nickname for a sporting team, how Essendon hasn't got this nickname copyrighted at least in Australia I just don't know.

I remember when Melbourne Heart came decided to call themselves heart, Heart of Midlothian F.C (Hearts F.C) in Scotland were going to take legal action, they couldn't do anything though.

In time the Brisbane supporters will start calling them 'The Dons' too. Doubt it Dons more so with EssenDON

NRL a planning to introduce an expansion team in Brisbane and calling them the Brisbane 'Bombers' by 2018

Should the AFL do everything in its power to prevent the name 'Bombers' being used as AFL fans, the Bombers name is a piece of real estate, an intangible asset that's part of the AFL culture. I have no issue having an NRL expansion team but not using the Bombers name
I think Gillon should take the NRL to Court and stop it ASAP
Thoughts?

Source
http://www.brisbanebombers.com.au
Balmain Tigers, The NSW Blues, the name Bombers is hardly new or original any more than Blues or Tigers or even Magpies and certainly not a name you could really copywrite.

Balmain Tigers, The NSW Blues, the name Bombers is hardly new or original any more than Blues or Tigers or even Magpies and certainly not a name you could really copywrite.
Tigers, Blues and Magpies aren't really unique names, they're used all over the world, I can't think of another major sporting team that calls themselves the Bombers. It's a blatant copy of Essendon, get something original.

So te NRL is "expanding" into Brisbane...

Not what I would call expansion. More like opening another maccas next door to a maccas

When Freo and Port were added, it was an expansion, even though they were heartland territories that already had teams.

When AFL placed expansion teams in last 20 years didn't use any names from established NRL teams
Port - POWER
Freo - DOCKERS
GC - Suns (QLD)
GWS - Giants (NSW)

EFC has been established over 100 years and own the name Bombers.
When expansion teams brought in AFL didn't name them
Gold Coast Broncos or
Greater Western Sydney Sea Eagles

Whats so unique about it, after the war I imagine a number of teams started to use this name, the Yankees are known as the Bronx Bombers for example, and being a commonly used word for a common object how do you copy write it much like MS and windows, not sure if any AFL clubs has an exclusive name not used elsewhere in sport?

Fair enough if it was in the same competition but really I cant see anyway they could claim it as there own, I prefer the name the Dons myself, or maybe Essendon could revert to one of their early nicknames the same olds, now that would be original.

Whats so unique about it, after the war I imagine a number of teams started to use this name, the Yankees are known as the Bronx Bombers for example, and being a commonly used word for a common object how do you copy write it much like MS and windows, not sure if any AFL clubs has an exclusive name not used elsewhere in sport?

Fair enough if it was in the same competition but really I cant see anyway they could claim it as there own, I prefer the name the Dons myself, or maybe Essendon could revert to one of their early nicknames the same olds, now that would be original.
I think Mr.Goodes might have something to say about one of their old nicknames.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When AFL placed expansion teams in last 20 years didn't use any names from established NRL teams
Port - POWER
Freo - DOCKERS
GC - Suns (QLD)
GWS - Giants (NSW)

EFC has been established over 100 years and own the name Bombers.
When expansion teams brought in AFL didn't name them
Gold Coast Broncos or
Greater Western Sydney Sea Eagles

Essendon have not used that name for 100 years they only started using it in WW2 and they own the name in relation to the AFL only, no different to Richmond Tigers that started in 1885 and then we have the Balmain Tigers appearing in 1908.

I don't necessarily agree that the NRL should use the name but then again why not, they are probably hoping to attract a few Essendon supporters that live in the area.

Except qld has more then 1 nrl team unlike wa and sa which needed 2 at a minimum to nurture a local rivalry and have home games every week

Adding a 3rd WA team would still be an expansion...the league would be bigger, more fans would get to see games, etc etc.

So te NRL is "expanding" into Brisbane...

Not what I would call expansion. More like opening another maccas next door to a maccas

NRL see growth in QLD
3 teams maybe not enough considering the popularity of League in QLD

Victoria no chance of having anymore teams considering how many of them nearly folded, nearly merged;
North, Dogs, Demons & Hawks
and even perished beyond existence (Fitzroy), Brisbane Lions have created there own culture and slowly the Roys one ceased to exist.

Same thing strange if NRL have more teams in NSW after all the mergers that happened 10-20 years ago. But makes sense to tap into other markets eg. AFL in Northern states and NRL in QLD again

Essendon have not used that name for 100 years they only started using it in WW2 and they own the name in relation to the AFL only, no different to Richmond Tigers that started in 1885 and then we have the Balmain Tigers appearing in 1908.

I don't necessarily agree that the NRL should use the name but then again why not, they are probably hoping to attract a few Essendon supporters that live in the area.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Essendon used the name as Essendon Airport was used and housed a lot of planes for WW2. The name Bombers has nothing to do with Brisbane at the moment and they are simply copying a name they thinks cool. Get something unique that represents Brisbane.

Imagine a new AFL team called the Tasmanian Rabbitohs, they'd lose their sh*t in Sydney.

I'll laugh if NRL do you the Bombers name and every ANZAC Day

AFL at MCG have Collingwood v Essendon
& across the road at AAMI Park
Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Bombers as an annual game

Btw thanks for history lesson, didn't know that but every sports has its piece of Intangible asset, think NRL can come up with something original

Btw thanks for history lesson, didn't know that but every sports has its piece of Intangible asset, think NRL can come up with something original

It won't be the Bombers, the locals hate the name. It is just that it has the best logo and colours.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Essendon used the name as Essendon Airport was used and housed a lot of planes for WW2. The name Bombers has nothing to do with Brisbane at the moment and they are simply copying a name they thinks cool. Get something unique that represents Brisbane.

Imagine a new AFL team called the Tasmanian Rabbitohs, they'd lose their sh*t in Sydney.
But that is entirely their choice, Essendon picked up the name in the 1940's the Dons is really their traditional nickname, not sure why Rugby want to use it but it is not unique as the Yankees are known as the Bombers as well, so if they want there is nothing stopping them really.

I'll laugh if NRL do you the Bombers name and every ANZAC Day

AFL at MCG have Collingwood v Essendon
& across the road at AAMI Park
Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Bombers as an annual game

Well yes you would think they could be original and Id be surprised if they actually went with it, maybe they have the inside word that our Bombers wont be around much longer:eek: nah just kidding.

The Bears would be okay to use again if the koala hadn't been used by our Brisbane, seeing as how its not a bloody bear, maybe the Brisbane brown or black bears or the way things have been in QLD lately maybe the Brisbane Floods, possibly a little insensitive though

But that is entirely their choice, Essendon picked up the name in the 1940's the Dons is really their traditional nickname, not sure why Rugby want to use it but it is not unique as the Yankees are known as the Bombers as well, so if they want there is nothing stopping them really.
Well none of the VFL clubs nicknames were their nicknames from day 1 but they all grew into them. I just think when you mention the Bombers you know you're talking about Essendon, When you say the Rabittohs you know its South Sydney. The Newly founded Big Bash clubs all came up with unique names to this country.

Well yes you would think they could be original and Id be surprised if they actually went with it, maybe they have the inside word that our Bombers wont be around much longer:eek: nah just kidding.

BrisbaneBarracudas, Bayliners, Bobcats, Bombers, Braves, Brewers, Buccaneers, Heat

Apparently proposed names for new NRL team in Brisbane. Some off existing American franchises eg
Charlotte BOBCATS
Tampa Bay BUCCANEERS
Miami HEAT
Atlanta BRAVES
Milwaukee BREWERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back