Brisbane Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not the Brisbane Bears? Just rolls off the tongue.
They probably would have if North Sydney hadn't been booted and weren't seeking re-admittance as CC Bears.

Brisbane has had two teams in the past. Bring back the Crushers!

My favourite bid is the Brothers bid. Such a great idea to bring all the clubs together.

If Qld based Essendon fans are bi-coders they are more likely to choose a team carrying the Bombers nickname.

I don't think this is the case at all. Following two teams, who play at the same of year in the same country, having the same nickname, would be very confusing for most people.

View attachment 142639
images

Notts County and every other club that plays in black and white too.

Wests Magpies in NRL.

Yeh, my point is- I get why they chose Bombers when they did but now we know really what happened, is it a appropriate name. Its fair to say that the hierarchy of Bomber Command would have faced war crimes if they had lost the war over events like Dresden. Is it appropriate that we trivialize these events by playing an air raid siren when a football team runs onto the ground? In my opinion its not.
Just my thoughts- off to work. Have a good day.
So why it's chosen doesn't matter? Just the inference that can be drawn from it?

There are most likely zero unique sporting nicknames. If you can find more than one or two nicknames that have been used only once in world sport, apart from the faintly ridiculous old timey ones I'd be shocked.

Borough for Port Melbourne is the only one I can think of still in use that could reasonably be classed as "unique".

I don't think this is the case at all. Following two teams, who play at the same of year in the same country, having the same nickname, would be very confusing for most people.
Yeah massively so, I know everything g suddenly became clearer when Wests stopped being Magpies :confused:

It seems that the NRL's MO is to try and annoy the AFL. No doubt this would be one reason they came up with the conflicting name. A Perth side is trying to get a team in the NRL and they have come up with the name West Coast Pirates when Perth Pirates rolls off the tongue.

View attachment 142656

It's just pretty stupid as well.

Like we had to use that name because Perth and WA weren't available.

But people identify as living in Perth or being Western Australian far more than they identify as living on the West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, Richmond were referred to by several nicknames in the VFA, including the very old fashioned and unpopular Richmondites and the Wasps, a name they carried into the VFL. They weren't commonly referred to as the Tigers until the early 1920s, by which time several sporting clubs both here and overseas were using the Tigers nickname, usually in tandem with gold/black or yellow/black uniforms.

Most traditional Victorian clubs haven't used a nickname from very the start from what I can find, let alone the same one they carry now as they only really became popular in the latter half 19th century, and were not usually animal nicknames, which is a relatively recent invention. Although Collingwood has only ever been the Magpies, and Port Melbourne has the Victorian era holdover "Borough" but that's really it.
Interesting info, can you recall where you read this, I can see we had the yellow and black stripes on our cap from the start although we had a blue jumper then we switched to a yellow and black jumper in the late 1880's but I cant see anywhere when we first started using the Tigers nickname, it seems we were using it by 1919 but I believe some may have used this term earlier than that?

For Gods sakes there are a bunch of B words out there. Leve Bombers to the AFL team.

Lots of B words, Bulls, bullants, burgers, bastards, brains, balls, brolgas, bras, beasts, bums, beauties, bogans, bathtubs, bread, bores, beers, behinds, brigands, bottlebrushes, bollocks

Most if not all of those work fine

There are most likely zero unique sporting nicknames. If you can find more than one or two nicknames that have been used only once in world sport, apart from the faintly ridiculous old timey ones I'd be shocked.

Borough for Port Melbourne is the only one I can think of still in use that could reasonably be classed as "unique".

Rabbitohs. There would be other rabbits, but not rabbitohs.

Middlesbrough - Boro
Peterborough - borough or posh
Stevenage Borough
etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back