Brisbane Bombers

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I think the AFL has respected the NRL by not using any of their team names in the AFL expansion clubs. So if this goes ahead all bets are off as far as I'm concerned. **** the NRL - Gold Coast Sharks here we come!

There was an ARL/NRL team called the Gold Coast Giants.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Interesting info, can you recall where you read this, I can see we had the yellow and black stripes on our cap from the start although we had a blue jumper then we switched to a yellow and black jumper in the late 1880's but I cant see anywhere when we first started using the Tigers nickname, it seems we were using it by 1919 but I believe some may have used this term earlier than that?
A number of places, VFA and VFL history books and various websites. I have a huge passion for the Victorian era history of our football code. There is the very famous old "eat 'em alive Tigers" story from the early 1920's, and the Wasps appears to have been a newspaper invention, as a few other sporting nicknames were back in the day. I've seen a newspaper in a book somewhere referencing a grand final with the headline "Wasp Sting Removed" or words to that affect.

Tigers was definitely the sole "official" nickname picked up on by the club, around the early 1920's from what I've found, but it could of course have been used in an unofficial capacity earlier, nicknames were not really in vogue until around that time and newspapers wrote stories and companies produced merchandise with whatever name they felt fit. Some were adopted, others not.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
From a selfish point of view, I'd actually like to see an animal nickname for a change, sick of the recent trend towards the buzz word nicknames in sport, and an Australian animal would be great. There are very few teams in any code that have one, Kangaroos and Rabbitohs are the only two I can think of unless you count national teams. I'd actually love to cheer "go Wombats"!

From a selfish point of view, I'd actually like to see an animal nickname for a change, sick of the recent trend towards the buzz word nicknames in sport, and an Australian animal would be great. There are very few teams in any code that have one, Kangaroos and Rabbitohs are the only two I can think of unless you count national teams. I'd actually love to cheer "go Wombats"!
Redbacks is a great name, shame its for a crap team.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure how anyone could possibly think the Essendon Football club own the name Bombers?
Non issue in every circumstance.
Get on with the footy Essendon, a Rugby league club should be of no concern to you.

Essendon need to "get on with the footy" because some random dude started an internet thread?

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Rabbits are as indigenous to Australia as Tigers or Lions.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Rabbits are as indigenous to Australia as Tigers or Lions.
It's more about the term "Rabbitoh" being native to the Aussie (particularly Sydney) lingo. It's a uniquely Australian nickname, though the rabbit is an introduced pest and not a native animal.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
There are most likely zero unique sporting nicknames. If you can find more than one or two nicknames that have been used only once in world sport, apart from the faintly ridiculous old timey ones I'd be shocked.

Borough for Port Melbourne is the only one I can think of still in use that could reasonably be classed as "unique".

I'd be interested to know if our nickname was used by anyone before us. The only Dockers I can think of are other Aussie rules clubs who've based themselves on our branding.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the AFL has respected the NRL by not using any of their team names in the AFL expansion clubs. So if this goes ahead all bets are off as far as I'm concerned. **** the NRL - Gold Coast Sharks here we come!
The reason they are the Suns are because the Southport Sharks already had that name in that market

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
I'd be interested to know if our nickname was used by anyone before us. The only Dockers I can think of are other Aussie rules clubs who've based themselves on our branding.
Apparently it was the original nickname of the Millwall football club in their early days before they adopted the Lion. A Scottish Division 1 club uses it too.

Those are the only ones I can find that definitely used it before Fremantle.

Back