Brisbane Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brisbane Bombers are going to be based near the Airforce base up there that is why they thought of using the name. To be honest who gives a ****? A club based 1600km away who play different sport may have the same nickname
Plenty of nicknames they could use relating to the airport, Jets, Pilots, Wings that aren't being used in this country, why copy something that already has a strong label in this country.

Because Brisbane Jets, Wings or Pilots sound s**t. It is the biggest non issue in sport.
Not saying its a big issue, but it's blatant copying.

Yeah massively so, I know everything g suddenly became clearer when Wests stopped being Magpies :confused:

I mean when supporting two teams with the same name. It has a sense of inconvenience. My point was that when choosing a team to follow, more people would choose a team with a different name to the one they follow currently.

I mean when supporting two teams with the same name. It has a sense of inconvenience. My point was that when choosing a team to follow, more people would choose a team with a different name to the one they follow currently.
Not sure I generally chose other teams known as the Tigers such as Claremont, Balmain etc but I do like Tigers so that is a part of it and in EPL I support the only team worth supporting in Liverpool so I guess it is not always that way.

I would say it's the opposite if anything. A lot of people tend to get drawn to supporting clubs in other leagues that have the same colours or nickname as their favourite team in their favourite league.

It might actually give the slightest benefit to Essendon in the future having an affiliation with another league. A fan will usually support a team in another sport with the same name or club kit.

I would say it's the opposite if anything. A lot of people tend to get drawn to supporting clubs in other leagues that have the same colours or nickname as their favourite team in their favourite league.

No doubt, I think the colours are a much bigger factor though. No confusion between your two teams because you don't refer to clubs by their colours. If the Central Coast (previously North Sydney) Bears make a comeback, I reckon a lot of bombers fans who have an interest in rugby league would develop an interest in the Bears. Moreso than the Brisbane Bombers IMO.

But people identify as living in Perth or being Western Australian far more than they identify as living on the West Coast

But 'Perth' is Perth-centric (I know, I know...) while 'WA' is generally seen as the domain of rep teams. And 'West Coast' has started to gain broader acceptance as a WA sporting thing. Eagles, Waves, Fever, now maybe Pirates... the Eagles will always be the default association with it, though, so they're unlikely to push that part of the name too hard. There's room for all codes on the West Coast!

Because Brisbane Jets, Wings or Pilots sound s**t. It is the biggest non issue in sport.
Whilst these names aren't attractive and I'd prefer some other options, Newtown already were called the Jets before they were forcibly booted from the NSWRL in 1983. Older generation NRL supporters would think of Newtown if the second Brisbane team was called the Jets. The Ipswich Jets in the QRL will challenge the decision if it was the Brisbane Jets without any links to Ipswich, as Redcliffe took the decision of the Gold Coast Dolphins into court and that's why the Titans nickname was born. Wings just sounds vague and Pilots for me is unappealing. The Wings to me links to the Detroit Red Wings.

Now for my opinion:
The Brisbane Bombers as a name is a common media term in my opinion. In today's day and age in a vastly pop cultured world, with the world getting smaller, lots of Brisbanites would view the Bombers nickname as Essendon's. To me, I believe the Bombers nickname for a Brisbane rugby team wouldn't have a strong potential due to recent controversies. I think that second team's nickname should really represent Brisbane. The Brisbane Kookaburras/Burras can be a good nickname as it represents an Australian bird. Brewers would be a good name, but it is sort of stereotypical. Calling them the Brisbane Brothers is bringing in a Port Adelaide-like situation: will it appeal to non-Past Brothers supporters? I definitely won't accept Brumbies: too similar to Broncos and to me, the Brumbies scream out as the ACT Brumbies from Super Rugby.

I'd suggest the Brisbane Burras as the new Brisbane team's nickname, with a Kookaburra as its mascot. An avian animal is highly different from its rival's horse mascot.

Colours:
Navy blue and orange is a beautiful colour combination. As they are almost complimentary colours, the brand can work just fine. Alternatively, Aztec gold, red and navy can be brought to resemble the former South Queensland Crushers, and possibly calling itself as their spiritual successor. The former South Queensland colours of navy, Aztec gold and red. Gold would be its primary colour, contrasting itself with the Broncos' maroon. However, the weakness is that the Broncos use gold as their secondary colour. As a result, orange and navy seem to be a better fit in a marketing perspective: fresh start, new colour combination in Australia and local contrast (maroon vs. orange/navy).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are most likely zero unique sporting nicknames. If you can find more than one or two nicknames that have been used only once in world sport, apart from the faintly ridiculous old timey ones I'd be shocked.

Borough for Port Melbourne is the only one I can think of still in use that could reasonably be classed as "unique".
Eaglehawk in the Bendigo football league are known as the 'Borough'

But 'Perth' is Perth-centric (I know, I know...) while 'WA' is generally seen as the domain of rep teams. And 'West Coast' has started to gain broader acceptance as a WA sporting thing. Eagles, Waves, Fever, now maybe Pirates... the Eagles will always be the default association with it, though, so they're unlikely to push that part of the name too hard. There's room for all codes on the West Coast!

Should have stuck with the Western Reds though I guess they didn't want to share 'Western' with the Force given how Western Australian's might confuse the two sports anyway.

Perth Reds.

Just for shits and giggles - Imagine if an NRL club got hold of an AFL licence. You could have the AFL Rabbitoh's as well as the NRL team. They could pool resource's, cross promote between both codes, and make a s**t load of money.
I'd support the s**t out of them!

I think Gillon should rename the Giants the Rabbitohs if the NRL persue the Bombers name. But I'd rather see a court battle with the AFL & EFC against the NRL & 2nd Brisbane team

If you think the financial backing of GC/GWS was bad, should check out the effort the NRL is going through to keep the Titans afloat...
Why? Despite now owning the club, it's still not in same ballpark as support the AFL offer GWS and the Suns. The Lions would be in administration if not for the AFL.

They could use it if they want to, but I wouldn't worry about it, the bid won't get up, western corridor/Ipswich favourite imo.

They can't use Bears or Jets because both already exist as rugby league clubs.

Last edited:
I think Gillon should rename the Giants the Rabbitohs if the NRL persue the Bombers name. But I'd rather see a court battle with the AFL & EFC against the NRL & 2nd Brisbane team
Come on mate listen to your self. Who cares if the name then self the bombers there training facility is going to be next to the airforce base up there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back