Brisbane/Fitzroy relationship discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane-Lions-F18-Mens-Fitzroy-Guernsey-Tee%20500px1.jpg

New product available at the Lions store. Hopefully this is the start of even more Fitzroy merchandise :).

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I saw someone rocking this great shirt in Potts Point today and as soon as I got home I went searching for it online. My search led me here. Does anyone know if it's still available somewhere?

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I saw someone rocking this great shirt in Potts Point today and as soon as I got home I went searching for it online. My search led me here. Does anyone know if it's still available somewhere?

Looks like an AFL product if you zoom on the tag. I would email the club and ask if one is available.

You can always get a Fitzroy jumper from the FFC directly.

Looks like it was part of the first 18 range, which is the retro line the club puts out. If it isnt there currently best you could do would be contact the club, or as suggested maybe go via FFC directly to see what they have.

Looks like it was part of the first 18 range, which is the retro line the club puts out. If it isnt there currently best you could do would be contact the club, or as suggested maybe go via FFC directly to see what they have.

I have one, it was sold by the Lions shop and was part of the first 18 line. I would ring the Lions shop as they might still have some in stock.

Thanks fellas, I've sent an email off to the organisation that manages the online store.
Yeah can you grab one for me too mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just found this article http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-25/the-moment-that-began-fitzroys-long-slow-death

Describes exactly how I felt by the time the merger came around, survival fatigue. Puts into perspective our current struggles.

As always... Go Lions!

Reads like a massive AFL whitewash to me. The most it says is that the AFL didn't try to help, but it totally ignores the role the AFL played in actively undermining Fitzroy and hastening their death.

Reads like a massive AFL whitewash to me. The most it says is that the AFL didn't try to help, but it totally ignores the role the AFL played in actively undermining Fitzroy and hastening their death.

Yep, that's what I meant by when I said survival fatigue, it felt like an epic struggle in quicksand, with the AFL willingly aiding the quicksand, pushing us down. In the end it was a foregone conclusion. They were different times, nothing like the magic pudding the AFL have become, and still we struggle.

"mercifully, the administrators were called in during the 1996 season."
Oh yeah, thank goodness for that.

"Training and administration were equally nomadic. After leaving the Junction Oval in 1985, where at least the players had an indoor gym and their own lockers..."
I watched a re-run of Grumpy Old Men recently, featuring Warwick Irwin, who went from the Roys to Collingwood in 80/81, then back to the Roys in 83. He said that he knew the Roys had no money at the time and Collingwood were a powerhouse, but he was surprised when he got to Victoria Park that the facilities were no better than what the Roys had at the Junction - and in some ways the Roys facilities were actually better.

"The AFL didn't lift much of a finger to save the club."
That is like saying that an arsonist didn't try to put out the fire. Reality is they poured home kero on it and stood back to watch the fire. Yeah they sure as hell didn't try to save the club, that is a fact. But it doesn't acknowledge at all the active death by a thousand cuts technique that Oakley and Co instigated. Not to mention holding the funeral across the other side of the country. Will forever be Pricks will Oakley and Co.

This is someone from the Roys side of the family who is happy we ended up in a merger with Brisbane. Part of it is because those '86 players did want to go to Brisbane in the first place as a decent option for the continuity of the club. It also still makes me weary of the ethics of those in charge of the game now, and how we (as in the Brisbane Lions we) have been let to wither while the AFL plays with its new toys, to the point where we're now clearly knee deep in the big muddy. Not all the AFL's doing, but they've just got no concept of how knee deep we are and how difficult it is the market we're in - now with competition built in to it.

McLachlan and Co. Don't be the same Pricks as your forbearers were. Get a little pro-active.

But the end came as blessed relief for most Fitzroy types. The battle for survival was long and bloody and exacted its toll on pretty much everybody.
Seriously...
I guess it depends who they author defines as "Fitzroy types". If you're referring to Paul Roos & Robert Shaw who were both quoted in the article, then no doubt these guys would think it was a relief given they both departed to go elsewhere for better money / a stress free life, though you can't blame them given they literally lived and breathed it for their time at the club. If on the other hand the author has spoken to people like me who went and stood in the outer at Western Oval for every match they played there then he probably would have found the Fitzroy type who was shattered. I was only 20 at the time. My father was broken, my grandmother equally so. None of the "Fitzroy types" I associated with showed any signs of relief.

What I did get out of the article was the steady stream of quality players out of the club. I was devastated at the time, but probably forgot it all when we lost the club.

The article talks of a player exodus. Nomadic training. Poor facilities. Lack of money. The AFL not offering assistance.
Sounds really bloody familiar doesn't it......

It also talks of batting above your average. Winning when you probably shouldn't, based on what others have and what you don't have.

Our current fellas just needs to start geting one or two of those sorts of wins away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back