Strategy Brisbane Lions Coaching and Staff Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's way too soon (after 18mths) to conclude that they "don't get" the game plan. They get it sometimes and then they don't sometimes, usually they don't when the opposition exerts pressure. There are more experienced teams in the competition that suffer from the same problem. Port fell apart under our pressure - no one is suggesting they don't know their game plan.

I see it the same way, WhiteLionFeva ... it looks like they get it when the wind is in their sails, and then they forget it when they're being challenged.

The same logic being applied to Leppa by some could be applied to Hinkley. Shouldn't Hinkley be adjusting his game plan, because his Port players clearly aren't able to enact it?

Or is it just that the players aren't (in both cases)?

I see it the same way, WhiteLionFeva ... it looks like they get it when the wind is in their sails, and then they forget it when they're being challenged.

The same logic being applied to Leppa by some could be applied to Hinkley. Shouldn't Hinkley be adjusting his game plan, because his Port players clearly aren't able to enact it?

I also agree, but I also think that Port (like us) have a problem with their game plan and their inability to adjust their one dimensional approach when things go wrong.

As I previously have said, I think our biggest problem is the way we are playing in defence - when opposition sides start to get the upper hand, our shuffle defence means that is more likely for them to get on a role and open up a big gap on the scoreboard. We need to be able to clamp down on that for portions of games by playing man on man and getting extra players back to help flood the back 50.

At the same time, while it might be good in those circumstances to slow the game up a bit if we have the ball (especially if we have hardly anyone forward anyway), generally we need to play a very attacking game going forward to help our smaller forwards make the most of the opportunities.

I think it's way too soon (after 18mths) to conclude that they "don't get" the game plan. They get it sometimes and then they don't sometimes, usually they don't when the opposition exerts pressure. There are more experienced teams in the competition that suffer from the same problem. Port fell apart under our pressure - no one is suggesting they don't know their game plan.
More to the point, who are "they"?
Last year, at various times, we had Rich, Redden, Leuey, Martin, Merrett, McStay, Golby, Lester, Cutler, out. No Beams, Bundy or Robbo. This year we have Close, Harwood, Merrett, Maguire, Brown, Hanley out.
We haven't fielded more than half our preferred team for more than half a season at a time. So no, we can't expect "that they get it".

Last edited:

Great analogy.
Any team that is full of confidence executes the plan much better. ( looks quick)
All of a sudden one team member becomes a weak link and the whole system breaks down.( slow and stagnant) Good examples: j pittard past 2 weeks has been well down on his decision kicking, instead of port players bolting off, like we saw 2014 ,that ball is not being delivered now turnovers are hurting badly.
In regards to us there are numerous accounts from last week of this breakdown:
Aish's kick out attempt.
Fizz kick

The coaching staff really need to teach dropping the ball when tackled. I realise that technically it is a free but it is not paid atm and our technique of hanging onto it even is getting us pinged time after time. Very evident in both the reserves and the firsts that we try to hang onto it but we have to adjust to how the game is umpired.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the coaches are insisting we 'slow the game down' when we are on top of our opponents playing our attacking game?

The directive today, as rocky mentioned came at 1/4 time and instantly led to a complete break down all over the field?

This is not veiled critism, don't get me wrong I'm not a fan, but I am just trying to understand why that directive was given today?

Today would have been more understandable given the number of injuries we had. Reduce the running we had to do and try and take a bit out of the saints legs. FWIW I didn't notice that we slowed it down that much despite what Rocky said.

Today would have been more understandable given the number of injuries we had. Reduce the running we had to do and try and take a bit out of the saints legs. FWIW I didn't notice that we slowed it down that much despite what Rocky said.

Yeah hadn't had a confirmed injury at 1/4 time? I didn't notice either at the time - but I'm hindsight - I worry mostly that the directive, takes that natural flow and confidence out of our game, all of a sudden in the 2nd, saints had numbers back in effect. We get the ball and we are thinking about slowing it down rather than blitzing the opposition and we fall apart.

I don't mind 'slowing' play. But to give that directive at 1/4 time today defies any logic. I can't work it out.

Yeah hadn't had a confirmed injury at 1/4 time? I didn't notice either at the time - but I'm hindsight - I worry mostly that the directive, takes that natural flow and confidence out of our game, all of a sudden in the 2nd, saints had numbers back in effect. We get the ball and we are thinking about slowing it down rather than blitzing the opposition and we fall apart.

I don't mind 'slowing' play. But to give that directive at 1/4 time today defies any logic. I can't work it out.

Rockliff broke his rib 10mins into the game, Harwood must've gone down about then, Claye Beams did his knee in the first quarter (played with it strapped sitting the forward line for the rest of the game).

But at the game, as Quigley says, it really didn't look like we slowed down a whole lot at all.

Rockliff broke his rib 10mins into the game, Harwood must've gone down about then, Claye Beams did his knee in the first quarter (played with it strapped sitting the forward line for the rest of the game).

But at the game, as Quigley says, it really didn't look like we slowed down a whole lot at all.

Oh really? Must have got lost on those ones. Didn't see claye being worked on until deep into the second 1/4, when camera panned over to him before he left to go into the rooms, didn't have any info about when Rocky did his, how did you know that? And the sub wasn't activated until the second as it was concussion as far as I know, but must be wrong.

Yep - saints ran all over us and clogged up our forward half with defenders, was hard to tell what we did after 1/4 time. If your answer is 'injuries' that might explain it. Still find it to be a strange directive, seems learning to control 'tempo' is something leppa needs us to have in our game, I back his system and reasons for making that call.

There is a difference in how you slow the game down though. I think when we are given that directive it more so means to retain the ball rather than move the ball slowly. Go back and sidewides to find a way through, ran than push the ball forward with forced run and carry or kicking it down the line.

Interesting watching north melbourne v collingwood as collingwood got in their run Leigh Matthews made a few comments about the north 'zone/shuffle' defence as it broke down and led to a couple of marks where despite North having all he numbers back free men popped u out he forward line.

Had the distinct feeling he isn't a fan of it and watching our games it is so bloody frustrating to see our tall defenders marking a different forward on nearly every forward entry. I think both Bruce and reiwoldt took 2 marks inside 50 marked up against leueie taylor or other midfield sized players as the shuffle meant the talls were just not near their talls anymore.

Would much rather 1-1 match ups for the talls with a bit more flexibility for the smalls and the likes of paparone (noting he was a tall for most of today)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would anyone take Aker as an assistant? He would be a good get IMO and isn't afraid to say it how it is much like some of the good coaches going around these days in Clarkson, Lyon and Hinkley. Got to give the bloke some credit to the way he prepares himself... always 100%

I can see him as a senior coach more easily than I can imagine him as an assistant. I think that alone is going to be a big barrier for him. He clearly understands the game and works hard, but I can't see him deferring to someone else's system all that easily.

I can see him as a senior coach more easily than I can imagine him as an assistant. I think that alone is going to be a big barrier for him. He clearly understands the game and works hard, but I can't see him deferring to someone else's system all that easily.

I would not be strongly yay or nay TBH, one thing I feel sure about is there is NO WAY Leppa or Leigh would let that occur, I have heard the way Leppa talks about him, Aker is a mate, but he generally chuckles and shakes his head before he starts a sentence about him.

Talking Game plan. I watched the tigers vs Bombers last weekend. And watching Richmond is like watching a better version of what we try to to do. So I really think, if anyone wants to know our vision for the Game plan, try and watch Richmond games for the rest of the year - that will be us in 3 years time, I think Leppa gives more of a green light to go up the middle.

Talking Game plan. I watched the tigers vs Bombers last weekend. And watching Richmond is like watching a better version of what we try to to do. So I really think, if anyone wants to know our vision for the Game plan, try and watch Richmond games for the rest of the year - that will be us in 3 years time, I think Leppa gives more of a green light to go up the middle.
well we are screwed then if that's the case...

Richmond try to play like that all the time- we don't.
Essendon have given up on playing that way, but haven't improved at all as a result.

would anyone take Aker as an assistant? He would be a good get IMO and isn't afraid to say it how it is much like some of the good coaches going around these days in Clarkson, Lyon and Hinkley. Got to give the bloke some credit to the way he prepares himself... always 100%

Aker needs to build a profile now, something along the lines of special comments/match day tactics. I believe he had a column before, might be a good time to get on that again. All this talk about him being everything (looking after game day, nutrition, training, fitness yada yada) for a country club needs to be taken a step further so people can relate to his views.

The more he does it, he'll get on the assistant chair quickly. Aker obviously needs to tone down the "being everywhere" aspect to go further.

Richmond try to play like that all the time- we don't.
Essendon have given up on playing that way, but haven't improved at all as a result.

totally agree, we try to go central more, which IMO is largely due to Voss's legacy (the handball chain flood effect) and the sort of players we have. I don't think Richmond decide to play like that all the time as a rule, its just they go 'super safe' when confidence is down and just end up chip kicking it sideways for 2 minutes - like we did in the second 1/4 againts the Saints.

It was more a broad thing, the kick in to a pack, bring it to ground if a mark isnt taken, go sideways with a person in waiting, look to switch or the running handpass to open up the corridor but keep the boundary close if they need it. I stared blankly at the screen for a quarter and a half then turned to my mate and said "WTF! this is just like watching brisbane but in Yellow and black and better"...

Managing relationships effectively is such a fundamental attribute of good coaches. Sorry, but Jason simply isn't up to that.

He's a legend no doubt, but he is not AFL senior coach material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back