Opinion Brisbane Lions' five best home and away wins

Remove this Banner Ad

The Fitzroy v North game in 83 was the greatest performance I witnessed considering the team they were playing were on top. For those lucky to have been there will remember after a 21 goal to 2 second half, the last 7 to 8 mins of the game, North barely touched the ball. The dominance was so great that Rendell would basically tap and palm to the mids and basically from there we would score without them touching the ball.

After the game the song was played on numerous occasions and the faithful remained standing, applauding and singing well after the match. It was fuching magnificent!

I was there - my dad told me we were no chance to win that day :)

If I was doing our best ever losses 2 games stand out.

1999 rpund 14 v North. We lost by under a kick after leading all day but I was so proud of the bots as they showed that we belong with the big boys

Round 9 2001 v Adelaide. We had been smashed by Carlton the week before but this game ranks a one of the great games I have ever seen we and the Crows both played anazing. Marcus Picken had a shot from about 60 out to win it but didn't make the distance. Despite loosing that game I knew that if we could play like that something special was on the way. The next week I backed us to beat Essendon paying around $5.75 the win and the rest is history.

I watched one of the embedded you tubes and the options that came up at the end included a 35 min compilation from the 2002 GF ... heading into the end of the third quarter I heard a commentator say "This is when the Lions are most dangerous, in red time" ... I just thought how wonderful it would be to hear a commentator say something like that again :$

Bears comeback against the hawks from 50 odd points down in the mid 90's was pretty darn good

If I was doing our best ever losses 2 games stand out.

1999 rpund 14 v North. We lost by under a kick after leading all day but I was so proud of the bots as they showed that we belong with the big boys

Round 9 2001 v Adelaide. We had been smashed by Carlton the week before but this game ranks a one of the great games I have ever seen we and the Crows both played anazing. Marcus Picken had a shot from about 60 out to win it but didn't make the distance. Despite loosing that game I knew that if we could play like that something special was on the way. The next week I backed us to beat Essendon paying around $5.75 the win and the rest is history.

Robbie Copeland's debut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still sends chills down the spine watching this.

Scary to think of the list turnover we've had since this game. Voss, Brown, Black, McGrath, Adcock, Leuenberger, Patfull, Staker, Moloney, Redden, Docherty, Yeo, Lisle, Golby no longer with us sheesh! :eek:

Not sure if I heard it right but at 10:37 of the video I think he mistakenly calls it out of bounds by Israel Folau even though it's Christensen.

Not sure if I heard it right but at 10:37 of the video I think he mistakenly calls it out of bounds by Israel Folau even though it's Christensen.

He said "over the line like Israel Folau there" as in, like a rugby try, I guess?? lol

No he says "over the line like Israel Folau." This is Huddo we are talking about.

Still sends chills down the spine watching this.

Scary to think of the list turnover we've had since this game. Voss, Brown, Black, McGrath, Adcock, Leuenberger, Patfull, Staker, Moloney, Redden, Docherty, Yeo, Lisle, Golby no longer with us sheesh! :eek:

Man this was so good to watch. :')

The Fitzroy v North game in 83 was the greatest performance I witnessed considering the team they were playing were on top. For those lucky to have been there will remember after a 21 goal to 2 second half, the last 7 to 8 mins of the game, North barely touched the ball. The dominance was so great that Rendell would basically tap and palm to the mids and basically from there we would score without them touching the ball.

After the game the song was played on numerous occasions and the faithful remained standing, applauding and singing well after the match. It was fuching magnificent!
I was at this one, in my usual spot in front of the Blackie -Ironmonger Stand. People should remember that it was more than half way through the season, North Melbourne were on top of the ladder and Fitzroy beat them by 150 points. I think that losing margin is the greatest by a team on top of the ladder and I reckon that record will stand for many years.

Last edited:
Because I like to be difficult I will say that our best Home and Away LOSS was Round 14, 1999 North Melbourne 102 Brisbane Lions 100.

Some say we became an elite side that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back