Brisbane Lions reveal their new Guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I like the Fitzroy & traditional football jumpers, I'm not sure this look does much to endear the Lions to the Brisbane public.

The paddlepop wasn't exactly an icon in brisbane. Plus, this will probably help convince a few of the older lions supporter to take another look at us.

Thank GOD.

Clubs with shitty jumpers is rapidly dwindling.
Just need to #returnthewings and fix the abominations of the Suns and Giants

Yeah you went down the line of inquiry before. It's no more convincing now.

The Paddlepop certainly didn't endear the club to a new market (and merely pissed of a whole bunch of rusted ons) we have seen the sales and membership data to prove it.

If you are hinting at some great untapped market that hasn't jumped on because the Lion is widely seen as a relic of a Victorian club, then you have seriously misread the play and grossly overstated how informed the bandwagon element you are talking about actually is.

Protracted JeffDunne derail incoming ;)
Do you always need to be so precious & personal?

Anyway, yes the Paddlepop was a disaster. The club were correct in their thinking but it was terrible execution. The marketing of the club has been a disaster in recent years so it's not really surprising they stuffed that up too.

In regards to bandwagoners, well there's clearly a lot less attending games now than 10 years ago. There's at least that market to tap into. The potential of the Brisbane market is not a debate I can bothered with now but if your clubs view is as pessimistic as yours than they should probably just close up shop now.

The contrast in branding is Sydney. They have remained true to their club roots but have evolved it into a uniquely Sydney flavour.

Brisbane is Fitzroy playing in Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, yes the Paddlepop was a disaster. The club were correct in their thinking but it was terrible execution.

Woolly thinking. The attempt to market the club to supposedly compete with the new shiny Gold Coast was muddled at best. The one advantage over Gold Coast that Brisbane had was its links to the 2001-03 premiership jumper as well as the significant Melbourne support base. They somehow diluted both links, as well as alienated their merger partner, who had to take them to court. It was all so unnecessary.

In regards to bandwagoners, well there's clearly a lot less attending games now than 10 years ago. There's at least that market to tap into.

Two reasons
1. Less success
2. Gold Coast

The contrast in branding is Sydney. They have remained true to their club roots but have evolved it into a uniquely Sydney flavour.

Doesn't appear to me too much difference in terms of jumpers then and now.

South Melbourne...

South-1977.gif

to Sydney..

Sydney-2013.gif

Fitzroy

Fitzroy-1995.gif

to Brisbane Lions

Brisbane-1997.gif

Brisbane is Fitzroy playing in Brisbane.

So somehow Brisbane is Fitzroy playing in Brisbane but Sydney isn't South Melbourne playing in Sydney? Please.

Does this mean that they have dispensed with the mostly white 'away' guernsey which looks like someone has pissed on its front?

Does this mean that they have dispensed with the mostly white 'away' guernsey which looks like someone has pissed on its front?

The "urine stained" white clash was done away with years ago.

For the record though, a new clash jumper is to be announced in a few weeks. Based on a very old Fitzroy jumper I am led to understand.

The "urine stained" white clash was done away with years ago.

For the record though, a new clash jumper is to be announced in a few weeks. Based on a very old Fitzroy jumper I am led to understand.
Thanks for that. I'm sure you'll forgive me for having missed the demise of the other one. My hope is that the "very old Fitzroy jumper" would be the one they used in the 1950s, with the blue monogram on the front. Never bettered as a strip, except possibly if you are watching TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back