Brisbane Lions reveal their new Guernsey

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Perfect timing too, just as they look on the brink of building a serious football team again.

Yep, 2010-2014 will henceforth be derisively referred to as "The Paddlepop Years."

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The contrast in branding is Sydney. They have remained true to their club roots but have evolved it into a uniquely Sydney flavour.

Brisbane is Fitzroy playing in Brisbane.
How does one make the Brisbane Lions more 'Brisbane'?

Say tomorrow you completely scrapped the Bears and Lions and had to make the very first Brisbane team.

What do you put on the jumper? What nickname would you chose? The crocs? The pythons? The Stradbrokes? The bananas?

I'm thinking the Gabba is very Brisbane. Big Browny as the lovable star player is very Brisbane. Winning is very Brisbane. You'd play games between April and August and hope for good weather, not too warm you want to be at the beach or on the boat, not thunderstorms, usually not too cold.

The swans obvious have the opera house on the guernsey, and glamorous super star forwards seem to fit well. Games at the SCG. Players living it up in Bondi and hitting the beach for recovery.

If you are going to take more away from Fitzroy then you better make sure it will actually work.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
image.jpg

Lion for Life

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club,Chicago Bulls
I am just beyond words that we finally have our jumper back, what the hell was the club thinking?! Just a no brainer to bring it back and to hopefully coincide with a rise up the ladder no less.
Props gotta be given to the legends at "The Lions Roar" for all the work they put in to get it started and get us to this point, well done boys.

Matt Stevic

Privileged White Cis Male Scumbag
Oct 29, 2012
Maryborough VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Arsenal, The Exers
Well done. With this, and the Scray moving back to their premiership jumper a few years back, all we need is for the West Coast wings to return, and the 80s CFC monogram back on the Carlton jumper.

Jul 16, 2009
Under a Big Sky
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ha ha, must be an Adelaide thing. I was hoping someone would post what they wore this year for comparison as I can't recall either.
had to look it up. gee it was awful, just never paid it any attention obviously.
the new (old) one would look better with a smaller lion in place of the sponsor logo, bottom third over the maroon. As it is, the lion is a bit ugly to wear so large and prominent on the midriff.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
One could certainly argue that the "Paddlepop" Lion looks more like a real lion:

View attachment 88369 View attachment 88370

I know that's not the point, but it doesn't look very much like the Paddlepop Lion at all.
I think they could've used that Lion as a modern version of the Fitzroy Lion they are going back to. That would've been how you modernise a jumper.

Instead they ruined the two colour nature of the jumper with the maroon (or red for away games) and blue colours having a giant messy yellow lion section in the middle.

In turned it from a football guernsey in to a cartoon kids thing that wasn't made for men playing football at all and at the same time disowned the Fitzroy roots of the club.

The Fitzroy's Lions head and mane looks a bit like a map of Scandavia and might be hard to pick out from a distance as a Lion, but it will be a proper guernsey for footballers and be respectful to Fitzroy.

Back