Brisbane targeting a huge name key forward at end of 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

If Aish decides he wants to return home and nominates the Crows I suspect we'd be open to a Jenkins+Pick exchange...
notsureifserious. Jenkins is a bloody good player and actually plays a proper position instead of hanging off packs. If anything the deal would have to involve Aish + a player

Can't see anyone willing to move up there after the start they've had this season. To attract the big names for an attainable price you have to (a) be competitive and (b) show promise of playing consistently in finals. Brisbane have been neither.

Only way the get a half way reasonable forward is by offering ridiculous $$$ which would ultimately set them back even more years.

notsureifserious. Jenkins is a bloody good player and actually plays a proper position instead of hanging off packs. If anything the deal would have to involve Aish + a player

minion.jpg

Can't see anyone willing to move up there after the start they've had this season. To attract the big names for an attainable price you have to (a) be competitive and (b) show promise of playing consistently in finals. Brisbane have been neither.

Only way the get a half way reasonable forward is by offering ridiculous $$$ which would ultimately set them back even more years.

If you're going to wag Grade 4 - I suggest you do something other than troll on a computer. Perhaps go and play near a bus :thumbsu:

Wait, so pointing out that Brisbane will have trouble recruiting a "huge name key forward" on account of their poor 2015 results is trolling? The only way that be called trolling is for stating the obvious.
This time last year we were 0-4 and coming off back to back to back big losses to North, GC and Port. At years end we able to recruit Beams and Christensen. There is still a long way to go in this season and I expect the Lions to show some promising signs in the second half of the year once Rockliff is back to full fitness and players like Hanley and Merrett have returned. In addition to this we have been consistently fielding the youngest team in the comp each week since Round 2. It is not as if this team is an experienced contender dwelling down the bottom of the ladder. Young, inexperienced teams stubble to compete. Its just the way it goes.

But isn't that exactly what Brisbane did at the end of 2014? They signed Beams, who was one of the premier midfielders in the Competition.

Midfield getting smashed regardless of the quality they are up against. Suggests that, whilst KPPs are required at Brisbane, playing stock is not the no. 1 problem imo.

This time last year we were 0-4 and coming off back to back to back big losses to North, GC and Port. At years end we able to recruit Beams and Christensen. There is still a long way to go in this season and I expect the Lions to show some promising signs in the second half of the year once Rockliff is back to full fitness and players like Hanley and Merrett have returned.
Both of those players had special circumstances that precipitated their moves. I don't think they can be used as an example of why Brisbane can recruit a "huge name key forward". As it stands Brisbane would have to be one of the last clubs a promising gun forward would want to move to at this time. They are a poor club off the park and I think even the most ardent Brisbane supporters would agree that their results on the park this last decade speak for themselves. They consistently don't make finals and that habit looks to continue in 2015 in spite of assembling what should be one of the stronger midfields in the AFL.

Only big dollars would entice any gun forward up there because going North has proven to come at the expense of success and there is nothing in 2015 to indicate that this is changing

This time last year we were 0-4 and coming off back to back to back big losses to North, GC and Port. At years end we able to recruit Beams and Christensen. There is still a long way to go in this season and I expect the Lions to show some promising signs in the second half of the year once Rockliff is back to full fitness and players like Hanley and Merrett have returned. In addition to this we have been consistently fielding the youngest team in the comp each week since Round 2. It is not as if this team is an experienced contender dwelling down the bottom of the ladder. Young, inexperienced teams stubble to compete. Its just the way it goes.
Also there is a big difference between losses in 2014 to Port, North and GC and losses in 2015 to WC, Richmond, Collingwood and North. Not only have you lost to worse opposition but you've been thrashed in 3 of those games (and for 3 quarters in the Collingwood game)

Well then, straight swap with you for White, thats fair right? So you and your fellow supporters can gloat about bending us over we'll throw Keays in to. Really sweeten the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our players are not playing the game plan Leppa wants them too. Ether he isn't communication it across effectively or our players just don't care what he says. Either way Leppa needs to get them playing the way he wants them too or else he won't be at the club at the end of the season.

Both of those players had special circumstances that precipitated their moves. I don't think they can be used as an example of why Brisbane can recruit a "huge name key forward". As it stands Brisbane would have to be one of the last clubs a promising gun forward would want to move to at this time. They are a poor club off the park and I think even the most ardent Brisbane supporters would agree that their results on the park this last decade speak for themselves. They consistently don't make finals and that habit looks to continue in 2015 in spite of assembling what should be one of the stronger midfields in the AFL.

Only big dollars would entice any gun forward up there because going North has proven to come at the expense of success and there is nothing in 2015 to indicate that this is changing

Not sure why so much constant Collingwood interest in how Brisbane is doing? Was it the 2 Grand Finals we belted you in or the fact that Dayne Beams got traded to us last year?

Personally, I feel the huge name key forward is a pipe dream and simply wont happen. Perhaps a Dixon, Henderson or a Carlisle, but not a superstar as they are all contracted.

We just need a player who can provide a solid contest so the likes of Close, McStay, Freeman, Andrews and Hammelmann can develop without copping the best opposition defender.

I know to some, 4 games into a season tells a story; but to others it means there are 18 chapters left.

And whilst not everyone is fit and firing as yet, there isn't a tall forward in the AFL that wouldn't like Martin, D.Beams, Rockliff, Hanley, Rich, Redden, Mayes, Zorko, Green, Taylor and Christensen either delivering it to them or working inside F50 with them :thumbsu:

It's not quite working at the moment, but add a player or two and you should be able to see how a quality tall would go OK at the Lions :footy:

Well then, straight swap with you for White, thats fair right? So you and your fellow supporters can gloat about bending us over we'll throw Keays in to. Really sweeten the deal.
Not going to happen. To borrow a line from Kerry Packer, you only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime and ours was getting pick 5, Crisp and Greenwood for Beams.

Its a real shame Gold Coast did a sneaky/underhanded mini-draft deal with Melbourne a few years ago to ensure Jesse Hogan went to the Dees instead of The Lions.

Its sneaky because i have a half-feeling the Suns did it to ensure their QLD rivals didn't get Hogan ..

Lions should try do a grab and run raid on one of The Suns tall forward/ruck types ..

Its a real shame Gold Coast did a sneaky/underhanded mini-draft deal with Melbourne a few years ago to ensure Jesse Hogan went to the Dees instead of The Lions.

Its sneaky because i have a half-feeling the Suns did it to ensure their QLD rivals didn't get Hogan ..

Lions should try do a grab and run raid on one of The Suns tall forward/ruck types ..
I thought the Suns did it to ensure the Demons didn't draft the player that the Suns wanted? Wasn't there some sort of under the table agreement that the Demons wouldn't draft player x if the Suns dealt them the mini draft pick for Hogan?

Not sure why so much constant Collingwood interest in how Brisbane is doing? Was it the 2 Grand Finals we belted you in or the fact that Dayne Beams got traded to us last year?- not relevant.

Personally, I feel the huge name key forward is a pipe dream and simply wont happen. Perhaps a Dixon, Henderson or a Carlisle, but not a superstar as they are all contracted. - Highly unlikely that Henderson or Carlisle move. Not sure about Dixon but I wouldn't exactly call him a top quality forward - more a support guy.

We just need a player who can provide a solid contest so the likes of Close, McStay, Freeman, Andrews and Hammelmann can develop without copping the best opposition defender - I don't disagree with this

I know to some, 4 games into a season tells a story; but to others it means there are 18 chapters left. - Umm yes they do, you are 0-4 with a rotten % and have been smashed, for the most part, in all 4 games. Not to mention the fact that you were up against just average teams. How do you think Brisbane will fare when they come up against Sydney, Hawthorn, Port, Freo? Lastly, even if you could argue that the first 4 games are meaningless, surely the last 5 years where you've been hopelessly uncompetitive have significant meaning.

And whilst not everyone is fit and firing as yet, there isn't a tall forward in the AFL that wouldn't like Martin, D.Beams, Rockliff, Hanley, Rich, Redden, Mayes, Zorko, Green, Taylor and Christensen either delivering it to them or working inside F50 with them :thumbsu: - You say this yet even with most of these players in you are still languishing on the bottom of the ladder. I think it's fair to say that many of these players have been a tad overrated in recent times.

It's not quite working at the moment, but add a player or two and you should be able to see how a quality tall would go OK at the Lions :footy: "Not quite working at the moment" is a quality understatement. A player or two might get you up to 10th imo. I can't see Brisbane playing finals in the foreseeable future

Answers in bold.

I thought the Suns did it to ensure the Demons didn't draft the player that the Suns wanted? Wasn't there some sort of under the table agreement that the Demons wouldn't draft player x if the Suns dealt them the mini draft pick for Hogan?

It was a bit suss, because it was bit of a sweetheart deal where the Dees got Jack Viney at pick 26 (who clearly is a top 4-5 player from that draft) under F/S, so the Suns wouldn't bid their first rounder on him, to ensure The Dees didn't draft the player they wanted.

Good luck to the Dees, but that's almost draft tampering/manipulation, and I think it did compromise the integrity of the draft.

It was a bit suss, because it was bit of a sweetheart deal where the Dees got Jack Viney at pick 26 (who clearly is a top 4-5 player from that draft) under F/S, so the Suns wouldn't bid their first rounder on him, to ensure The Dees didn't draft the player they wanted.

Good luck to the Dees, but that's almost draft tampering/manipulation, and I think it did compromise the integrity of the draft.
That's right. Yeah it was dodgy thats for sure. The Lions basically had the deal tied up as well.

Tippet is the one Brisbane should chase. Swans will need to lighten their cap and gain picks.

Not when Tippett is our best ruck we don't! Plus we actually don't need to lighten the cap anyway, we will have Richards and goodes retiring very soon as it is.

Not when Tippett is our best ruck we don't! Plus we actually don't need to lighten the cap anyway, we will have Richards and goodes retiring very soon as it is.

Well we don't always have a choice on losing ruckmen do we. Brisbane will come out swinging , they will have money add to that Leuinberger is a FA and I can see an arrangement happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back