Brisbane to ask for priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for PP.

Alot of injuries. s**t happens. Still one of best midfields.

Was touted as on the rise and a top 8 contender b4 this season started. Already have 2 academy kids + pick 1 in the draft this year. They don't need a PP.
I do tend to agree.

I'm not suggesting it wasn't, but look at what I was responding to...

The PP system in the past (which Richmond benefited from) was approved by all clubs as well...As were the changes that led to the current system (actually, they were approved by the commission, which tacitly at least operates with the approval of the clubs.

Short version...all clubs have gained (and lost) from recruiting rules that have come and gone...Referring back to previous rules that have been removed or modified (AFL would say 'improved') as justification for actions now is pretty meaningless.

So why did you not say that in the first place instead of making a snide remark about Fitzroy? Such remarks about what supposedly Brisbane got from Fitzroy nearly twenty years ago in a thread about whether Brisbane deserve a priority pick are little more than off-topic cheap shots. Especially from supporters of clubs that led the charge to ensure those player concessions were granted to said club, as well as attempting to launch their own smash and grab on Fitzroy's 1996 list, a couple of years after grabbing Paul Broderick, Michael Gale and Jamie Elliott from Fitzroy for little in return.

This, I do agree with this. The only reason the priority pick would help is that there are a few kids this year who want to play for the Lions. However, more assistance is needed with training and facilities for the club.
I do tend to agree.
Stop crying out for help guys, we don't need a PP.

Don't understand how giving them a priority pick will change anything. What's to stop the draftee they recruit from leaving in 2 years time? If the AFL want to do anything to help them....... give them a bigger discount on academy players.

Just to highlight how ridiculous the situation has become, look at this reply. Brisbane fans now claim that having an Academy is a disadvantage!!

That's not what was said at all.

Do you know what the word "ameliorate" means?

What was said was: "The Academies are designed to ameliorate a real disadvantage.If you take away the advantage component of it, a disadvantage remains."

And can you get your head around what that disadvantage might be?

Absolutely no to a priority pick. Sure they lost some players but they have also done well in recruiting. Clubs need to be responsible for their actions. Look at how far teams like Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have come.

Polec
Ebert
Monfries
Ryder
Schulz
Hombsch

Let other clubs use early draft picks and then put them over a barrel to secure them on the 'go home' factor?

Absolutely no to a priority pick. Sure they lost some players but they have also done well in recruiting. Clubs need to be responsible for their actions. Look at how far teams like Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have come.

Bulldogs have the advantage of choosing to draft players from Victoria which helps with issues of retaining players. Since 2010, every first round pick the Bulldogs have taken has been from Victoria (Wallis (f/s), Smith, Stringer, McCrae, Hrovat, Bontempelli).

Polec
Ebert
Monfries
Ryder
Schulz
Hombsch

Let other clubs use early draft picks and then put them over a barrel to secure them on the 'go home' factor?
Your point being?

As I said, clubs need to be responsible for recruiting and fortunate for my club they've done just that. You also need to create a culture where the young kids want to stay. Again I would argue that we've done that. Guys like Boak, Trengrove and Gray could have very easily walked away back to Vic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not what was said at all.

Do you know what the word "ameliorate" means?

What was said was: "The Academies are designed to ameliorate a real disadvantage.If you take away the advantage component of it, a disadvantage remains."

And can you get your head around what that disadvantage might be?

I know what it means. Do you honestly believe that Brisbane having a youth academy when 14 other teams don't have one gives no advantage at all?

Seriously? If that is what you believe then you have lost your perspective on this, like the person I was responding to and all the other Brisbane fans whinging for more.

Your point being?

As I said, clubs need to be responsible for recruiting and fortunate for my club they've done just that. You also need to create a culture where the young kids want to stay. Again I would argue that we've done that. Guys like Boak, Trengrove and Gray could have very easily walked away back to Vic.

My point is that port have bullied other clubs into trades that have been ridiculously unbalanced and arguably irresponsible to the balance of the competition.

Don't be so assured that your club has a great culture that makes kids want to stay.....a few more years like this one and it will be back to bay covers and the loss of players for port.

My point is that port have bullied other clubs into trades that have been ridiculously unbalanced and arguably irresponsible to the balance of the competition.

Don't be so assured that your club has a great culture that makes kids want to stay.....a few more years like this one and it will be back to bay covers and the loss of players for port.

Not a fan of Port, but where do you figure out that crap that they 'bully' other clubs into unfair trades, if they have shrewd negotiators in their footy dept, good luck to them.

WTF?! What a complete load of utter nonsense, look at what Port did to help Ben Newton get to the MFC at the end of last season.

Brisbane fans have completely lost the plot in this thread, it's actually getting a little embarrassing watching them self destruct like this

I know what it means. Do you honestly believe that Brisbane having a youth academy when 14 other teams don't have one gives no advantage at all?

It ameliorates a disadvantage in the long term. And that is, compared to all other clubs, the northern clubs have less home grown players on their list. Two of the three largest states in terms of population (i.e. Queensland and NSW) provide 3% of AFL recruits. That means that recruiting and therefore retaining required players on their lists to remain competitive, is more difficult, without some form of assistance, whether it be a retention allowance, or an Academy. Simply a greater percentage of the list is from outside the state the Club is located in.

The Academy by which the four northern clubs have priority access to, means that they can slowly increase the percentage of locals on their list. This will in the medium to long term ameliorate a disadvantage that the northern clubs currently suffer from, which is an inability to recruit a similar proportion of home grown players compared to other clubs in the competition, located in football states.

GWS, Sydney, and until last year, the Gold Coast, all had retention allowances to assist them in holding onto their larger contingent of interstate players. Brisbane did not. Brisbane has not had any sort of retention allowance since 2006. But they still have one of the highest proportion of interstate players of any AFL list.

It ameliorates a disadvantage in the long term. And that is, compared to all other clubs, the northern clubs have less home grown players on their list. Two of the three largest states in terms of population (i.e. Queensland and NSW) provide 3% of AFL recruits. That means that recruiting and therefore retaining required players on their lists to remain competitive, is more difficult, without some form of assistance, whether it be a retention allowance, or an Academy. Simply a greater percentage of the list is from outside the state the Club is located in.

The Academy by which the four northern clubs have priority access to, means that they can slowly increase the percentage of locals on their list. This will in the medium to long term ameliorate a disadvantage that the northern clubs currently suffer from, which is an inability to recruit a similar proportion of home grown players compared to other clubs in the competition, located in football states.

GWS, Sydney, and until last year, the Gold Coast, all had retention allowances to assist them in holding onto their larger contingent of interstate players. Brisbane did not. Brisbane has not had any sort of retention allowance since 2006. But they still have one of the highest proportion of interstate players of any AFL list.

A nice wall of text yet you've conveniently managed to avoid the question.

Really? I thought I made it very clear in my very first sentence in my "wall of text" that the Academies do not give an advantage. That was your question was it not?

They ameliorate a disadvantage. Are you sure you know what "ameliorate" means?

Why don't you address what I've said in my "wall of text"? Or is that too difficult for you?

Roylion is correct. You misinterpreted my post and took it out of context (willfully I suspect) so you could attack me on something I didn't say.

Straw man.

WTF?! What a complete load of utter nonsense, look at what Port did to help Ben Newton get to the MFC at the end of last season.

Brisbane fans have completely lost the plot in this thread, it's actually getting a little embarrassing watching them self destruct like this

Lol Ben Newton is a spud.

You know the Pies brand pays for sides which have to be propped up.
Brisbane has been propped up in every season since it's inception....as has Sydney and now GC and GWS.
The SA and WA have always been self supporting, barring some very bad management at Port.
It's the price for expansion, which I support, if the matches could be heard over the whining.....
Be thankful your club survived over the legitimate licensee....Fitzroy.

Yep...and are given the draw to do that which is corrupt like no other draw in any major sport around the world. But, I do get your point, but it still riles me when people go on about any "Perk" the lions will maybe get or have in the past.

The truth is big clubs push for Salary Cap & Draft equalization like it is the ONLY thing that matters. You bigger clubs have so many other perks that you forget how good you have it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back