Brisbane to ask for priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure a goodly number of the Gold Coast boys enjoy being close to the beaches but it really is a minor consideration overall.

As far as I can recall only three drafted Bears or Lions players have been traded home to WA clubs...Headland,Dalzeill and Yeo and I think Yeo would rather play golf with his mates than surf in his leisure time...and the Headland trade is still the gift that keeps on giving after 13 years for the Lions...you could almost write a short story about the continuing spin off down the years for Brisbane from that one.
Lot of good it's doing you.

Dream on. There is a 0% chance of Leuenberger getting you a band 1 pick. Literally 0%.

Frawley was highly controversial in itself; his deal would've barely met the requirement for band 1 compensation. Leuenberger has never been AA, he's been injured far more than Frawley (he's injured right now!) and ruckmen aren't as valuable as KPPs. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever any club will offer him a 5 year deal on 500k+ a year.

All it takes is for Leuenberger to leave and Aish to join Carlton via PSD (refusing a trade - which Carlton could, considering where they are at the moment). It's funny watching opposition supporters at pains to point out we won't get it at all, while your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:

Isn't the suggestion that they could've traded Longer for Savage + 18 and they ended up trading him for pick 25 (and a swap of picks in the 40s)?

I'd probably take the first deal. Savage is OK, no world beater but I'd assume isn't on big money and would get a game for Brisbane.

Bit of revisionism going on here, Savage to Brisbane was never on cards. As far as I remember, he refused to leave Melbourne. That's when St.Kilda became an attractive option for Hawks to land McEvoy.

They need forwards not ruckman, they already have Sandi, Clarke, Griffen and 1 other iirc.

Leuenberger will be ahead of the rest bar Sandilands. If Pavlich retires, smarter option would be to send Sandilands to goalsquare and leave Leuenberger ruck around the field.

Second option I can think of is Richmond. They have Maric and I have seen them try to play Hampson here and there this season. I believe Richmond are closing in on a top-4 season, Leuey would complement them really well.

All it takes is for Leuenberger to leave and Aish to join Carlton via PSD (refusing a trade - which Carlton could, considering where they are at the moment). It's funny watching opposition supporters at pains to point out we won't get it at all, while your guess is as good as mine.
You clearly have no understanding of how compensation picks work. Aish has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Should Leuenberger leave, the compensation is decided by two things: his age and the contract he gets at another club. Frawley is the bare minimum requirement for a band 1, and there is a 0% chance any club will give Leuenberger that deal.

You clearly have no understanding of how compensation picks work. Aish has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Should Leuenberger leave, the compensation is decided by two things: his age and the contract he gets at another club. Frawley is the bare minimum requirement for a band 1, and there is a 0% chance any club will give Leuenberger that deal.
There is 0 chance that you know what kind of contract clubs will offer Leunberger.

There is 0 chance that you know what kind of contract clubs will offer Leunberger.
Do I know the exact terms? No.

Do I know it won't be anywhere near the deal Frawley got? Yes.

You're delusional if you think any club will offer someone as injury prone as him 500k per year over 5 years.

You're delusional if you think any club will offer someone as injury prone as him 500k per year over 5 years.

Does Frawley deserve a pick 3 ? No
Did AFL used that as an excuse to top up the real compensation and give Demons pick 3? Yes

Does Leuenberger on his own deserve a top 5 pick ? No
Can AFL use that excuse one more time to award a pick to Lions ? May be. You don't know either.

Did AFL used that as an excuse to top up the real compensation and give Demons pick 3? Yes

Does Leuenberger on his own deserve a top 5 pick ? No
Can AFL use that excuse one more time to award a pick to Lions ? May be. You don't know either.
As I already said, the Frawley compensation was extremely controversial, and would've barely met the requirements for band 1. If Hawthorn only gave him 3 years on 400k per year, there's no chance in hell they would've gotten band 1. I'd be surprised if Leuenberger even gets that much.

The delusional one would be the guy claiming that there is zero chance that Leunberger gets a contract offer that could land the Lions a band 1 compo pick. The reality is he could easily get a $500k over 4 years offer from a club needing a ruck and in a premiership window.

His injuries are overblown also. If Dixon is getting $700k+ offers Leuenberger can get $500k offers with ease.

For the record I doubt we get a band 1 compo but I remain hopeful.

You know this for a fact do you? His deal was almost identical to Daisy Thomas' which also got band 1, so try again.
The reality is he could easily get a $500k over 4 years offer from a club needing a ruck and in a premiership window.
This would not be enough for band 1, it's not even the same money as Frawley and Leuenberger is a year and 3 months older at time of FA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know this for a fact do you? His deal was almost identical to Daisy Thomas' which also got band 1, so try again.

This would not be enough for band 1, it's not even the same money as Frawley and Leuenberger is a year and 3 months older at time of FA.
Which why I don't think we'll get band 1 but there is still a chance if Adcock leaves as well or Leuey could get big offers in a bidding war

I suspect folks are forgetting Adcock is also an unrestricted free agent.
Yes, and?

The delusional one would be the guy claiming that there is zero chance that Leunberger gets a contract offer that could land the Lions a band 1 compo pick.
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
The reality is he could easily get a $500k over 4 years offer from a club needing a ruck and in a premiership window
Based on what precisely? What instance of 'reality' proves a club would be stupid enough to give an extremely injury-prone ruckman a deal like that? Show me a single example of any player, ruckman or otherwise, that's had an injury history this bad, getting 500k over 4+ years.
His injuries are overblown also. If Dixon is getting $700k+ offers Leuenberger can get $500k offers with ease.
Dixon is a 24 year old power-forward having an extremely good year.

Leuenberger is a 27 year old ruckman who's only just played 100 games. He's looked good at times over the last 8 years, but is constantly hammered by injury, and has been mostly average this year.

Again, you're utterly delusional if you think there valuations are anywhere close.

Yes, and?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Based on what precisely? What instance of 'reality' proves a club would be stupid enough to give an extremely injury-prone ruckman a deal like that? Show me a single example of any player, ruckman or otherwise, that's had an injury history this bad, getting 500k over 4+ years.

Dixon is a 24 year old power-forward having an extremely good year.

Leuenberger is a 27 year old ruckman who's only just played 100 games. He's looked good at times over the last 8 years, but is constantly hammered by injury, and has been mostly average this year.

Again, you're utterly delusional if you think there valuations are anywhere close.
More delusion. I shouldn't be surprised.

Also I am not comparing the value of Leunberger and Dixon but you said nobody would offer any player a huge 4 year $500k deal with a bad injury history.

Last edited:
If Adcock leaves you'll gte a separate pick for him, unless the rules have changed.
It is optional.

"Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period."

There's a distinct possibility he and Leuey could be bundled to qualify for the band 1 compo.
Nope. Go and learn how compensation works.

More delusion. I shouldn't be surprised.

Also I am not comparing the value of Leunberger and Dixon but you said nobody would offer any player a huge 4 year $500k deal with a bad injury history.
Delusion generally comes from believers rather than skeptics, my sad little friend.

Dixon hasn't been injured anywhere near as much as Leuenberger; he's already played 60+ games. Not that it was a good comparison in the first place, considering Dixon's a much better player in a much more valuable position. Also I suggest you learn how to spell your own players names if you want to present a credible opinion.

Once again, you provide no examples.

Um, yes. Otherwise you'd have a situation where a bunch of spuds leave as FA's and a team gets a top 3 pick.
Aight. Forgive, me but I'll choose to believe the senior AFL official who told me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back