Brisbane to ask for priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aight. Forgive, me but I'll choose to believe the senior AFL official who told me otherwise.
No worries, I think they're having a lend.

Edit: See Port losing D. Pearce and Chaplin in the same year. They got 2 separate picks. Happy to stand corrected if the rules have changed.

Last edited:
FWIW they said in most cases it would make more sense to take separate picks (they mentioned a scenario that had already played out, but I forget which) but in fringe cases it could boost picks.

Edit: See Port losing D. Pearce and Chaplin in the same year. They got 2 separate picks. Happy to stand corrected if the rules have changed.
Yeah, that rings a bell.

You know this for a fact do you? His deal was almost identical to Daisy Thomas' which also got band 1, so try again.

This would not be enough for band 1, it's not even the same money as Frawley and Leuenberger is a year and 3 months older at time of FA.

Oh yeah, I tried. You guys got a jackpot on that free agency period, no need to come around justifying it. Comparison below, "almost identical" yeah right. Next you'll ask me "oh, you believe in some random Journo claiming this is the offer do you?" well, this is what I found. Feel free to roll out the real contract with numbers for both players to disprove it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-as-compensation/story-fni5f8ge-1227081173430
The Herald Sun can reveal a three-man working group had the power to dampen the most contentious compensation selection awarded, but instead gave the green light in a jackpot result for the Demons. The league has had the committee in place since free agency’s inception with a view to correct any “material anomalies” the AFL’s secret formula spits out. A handful of clubs believed Frawley’s Hawks contract — believed to be worth $2.2 million across four years — could only net the Demons an end-of-first-round selection.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-07/carlton-lodges-dale-thomas-paperwork-with-afl/5002596
Carlton will lodge the paperwork on Monday to recruit high-profile AFL free agent Dale Thomas from Collingwood. The Blues put a four-year offer to the 2011 All-Australian midfielder reportedly worth more than $2.5 million.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r-for-free-agent/story-fn69a32t-1226735393696
COLLINGWOOD'S concerns over the state of Dale Thomas’ ankle meant it could only offer him a performance-based contract as opposed to Carlton’s guaranteed $2.8 million four-year deal, with the option of a fifth season.

As I already said, the Frawley compensation was extremely controversial, and would've barely met the requirements for band 1. If Hawthorn only gave him 3 years on 400k per year, there's no chance in hell they would've gotten band 1. I'd be surprised if Leuenberger even gets that much.

Be prepared for another extremely diabolically controversial compensation this offseason then.

We will get a Priority Pick because the AFL will have to act after James Aish goes to Carlton via the PSD.
I hope so. Well, at the very least we can salvage a 2nd rounder + Bell if WE had to deal with the Spooners. ideally we can pick between Collingwood, Spooners and Adelaide.

The afl needs to consider how many draftees have left us to rot, not our results on the past 2 years.

I hope so. Well, at the very least we can salvage a 2nd rounder + Bell if WE had to deal with the Spooners. ideally we can pick between Collingwood, Spooners and Adelaide.

The afl needs to consider how many draftees have left us to rot, not our results on the past 2 years.

He might be off to the Pies anyway

He might be off to the Pies anyway

Collingwood should realistically finish 6th-8th in 2016, so I wouldn't mind a pick 10-12 for Aish, quite fair actually compared to other offers. Support.
Collingwood? Can't be. Aish has said he wants to go home. Which is South Australia.
Nah, he's doing a FIGJAM, wants to return to the home of AFL...Might be good as he would just end up like a Nathan, * all success. ;)

Collingwood should realistically finish 6th-8th in 2016, so I wouldn't mind a pick 10-12 for Aish, quite fair actually compared to other offers. Support.

Nah, he's doing a FIGJAM, wants to return to the home of AFL...Might be good as he would just end up like a Nathan, **** all success. ;)
Just have to pray Collingwood does really bad next year to get an even better pick. Bottom 6 please Pies :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 part doesn't add up... collingwood are getting Aish.

I wouldnt be against them getting a end of first round selection, helps them secure their academy kids.

You are one of those bigger picture guys, stick around please :)

All it takes is for Leuenberger to leave and Aish to join Carlton via PSD (refusing a trade - which Carlton could, considering where they are at the moment). It's funny watching opposition supporters at pains to point out we won't get it at all, while your guess is as good as mine.

If Aish would rather play at Carlton than Brisbane, it's not a priority pick you need. It's a complete cleanout of the club.

I would have thought as a supporter that if players are preferring to play at Carlton then it should indicate to you that something is very, very wrong.

If Aish would rather play at Carlton than Brisbane, it's not a priority pick you need. It's a complete cleanout of the club.

I would have thought as a supporter that if players are preferring to play at Carlton then it should indicate to you that something is very, very wrong.
Word is he wants to play for a "big Victorian" club.

We can try clean up the club as much as we like, but we can't compete with footy heartland in some aspects.

Or something is really really wrong with the said player. Everyone drafted along with him have re-signed. May be they see a purpose in playing/sticking together, Aish has other aspirations. Trying to judge the club because one bloke is turning his back for whatever reason is preposterous.

If all these frothing vic club presidents could keep their trap shut, we would have made some headway into building our list with home grown talent. Alas, round and round we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back