Opinion Brodie Grundy and the 2nd Year Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Been well known that Kids can have a Awsome Debut Season then have a Poor 2nd Season.

So with Grundy having an Awesome Debut Season and Looks like he could be a very special against Strong Opposition. Epically Shane Mumford. We know over the summer teams will study Grundy very hard and teams will be more ready for him.

So can he still be very effective or will he struggle in his 2nd Season?

Good Example I can use is in the NFL in RG3 had a awesome Debut Season last year and is Struggling in his 2nd season a bit.

I see Grundy having Up and Down season where he will have good Games/Moments and Poor Games/Moments

Do you Agree?

He has only played 7 games!

Well that was his Debut Season.

Teams have a Pre-Season to try and Find a Weakness they can Exploit and Grundy will have to improve and fix the Weaknesses

Been well known that Kids can have a Awsome Debut Season then have a Poor 2nd Season.

So with Grundy having an Awesome Debut Season and Looks like he could be a very special against Strong Opposition. Epically Shane Mumford. We know over the summer teams will study Grundy very hard and teams will be more ready for him.

Good Example I can use is in the NFL in RG3 had a awesome Debut Season last year and is Struggling in his 2nd season a bit.

I see Grundy having Up and Down season where he will have good Games/Moments and Poor Games/Moments

Do you Agree?
I know it's completely unrelated to Brodie. But the big reason for RG3 is his knee. He did his knee last season, I dare say he shouldn't even be playing this season. He's lost his explosive pace which has affected his main asset (his running game) without it, hes an average QB as his throwing game isn't great. had no pre season either.

Brodie on the other hand, I expect a bigger season from him, just due to the fact hes having a pre season. Not to mention he seems to be the guy who thrives on pressure and being in a spotlight, which is what the second year blues party involves. Because people are aware of your talents people take more notice and put time into you. Thus meaning its harder to get the ball. Wingard will be a big example of this next season.

I can't remember seeing a young recruit hit the gym so hard or so early, he reeks of professionalism and desire to excel. He may find increased attention this year but I'll back him to fight his way through and emerge triumphant.

I do to. He is 2nd Favourite behind Jack Martin to Win the Rising Star so he is a well know player.

As you say the Teams would Study him More but as you say his Desire + Professionalism you would say he would go overcome that and come the Dominat Ruckman he has shown the Potential of last season:D

I know it's completely unrelated to Brodie. But the big reason for RG3 is his knee. He did his knee last season, I dare say he shouldn't even be playing this season. He's lost his explosive pace which has affected his main asset (his running game) without it, hes an average QB as his throwing game isn't great. had no pre season either.

Brodie on the other hand, I expect a bigger season from him, just due to the fact hes having a pre season. Not to mention he seems to be the guy who thrives on pressure and being in a spotlight, which is what the second year blues party involves. Because people are aware of your talents people take more notice and put time into you. Thus meaning its harder to get the ball. Wingard will be a big example of this next season.

So you are saying when RG3 did his knee he was always going to be in Big Trouble as his Major Weapon was his Legs. Soon as he lost it then he came a Pocket Passer which he is just Okay at.

Agree with you Grundy Wrap Up. He does seem to like the Extra Pressure and with the Spotlight. You summed it up well and got what I was saying about with Teams being more Aware of Grundy and put time into Grundy so he won't find it as easy as he did this season. But you back him along with Wingard that they will get thru that and come AA Calibre Players. Wingard already has one AA Nod

I've got $873.45 on him being the first Brownlow ruckman since Peter Moore in 2014. Just putting it out there.

I think it's best to start with realistic expectations then allow him to gradually improve.

Wish I had that Kind of Money to make a Bet like that:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are saying when RG3 did his knee he was always going to be in Big Trouble as his Major Weapon was his Legs. Soon as he lost it then he came a Pocket Passer which he is just Okay at.

Agree with you Grundy Wrap Up. He does seem to like the Extra Pressure and with the Spotlight. You summed it up well and got what I was saying about with Teams being more Aware of Grundy and put time into Grundy so he won't find it as easy as he did this season. But you back him along with Wingard that they will get thru that and come AA Calibre Players. Wingard already has one AA Nod
He isn't in trouble forever yet. But at the moment he needs to build up his muscle and activation that he lost over having knee surgery for a ruptured ligament. For the moment he's lost all his speed and you can see it when he plays. Next season he'll be closer to the RG3 of season 1 just because of this.

As for Grundy, the beauty is, unlike Wingard/Whitfield/Beams of 2012 you can put time into them as an opposition. Grundy being a ruckman you can't really. Sure you can get people to bump into him off the ball, but you can tell he loves physical pressure so it'll most likely motivate. And your not going to send a run with player with a ruckman. So I can't see him having any second year blues myself. He'll struggle against teams however that have 2 quality ruckmen. West coast, Essendon etc.

2013 will look mediocre compared to what Grundy will dish up this season.
He got a handful of games in 2013 & that showed him exactly what he needed to do to better compete in the future. His leap is as good as any getting around. Well perhaps besides Nic Nat. It's his body work & his tank that he needs to get better as quickly as possible. He now knows it & has set about doing the work to ensure he gets there as soon as possible. He had virtually no pre season last year & made his debut on the back of a few VFL games as preparation. Impressive effort indeed. I think with a full pre season of running & a mapped out Gym program for him, he is going to come on in leaps & bounds. My money will be on the big fella to canter in the rising star.

Do you Agree?

Like all young players he will struggle with consistency, and tiredness over the course of the year, which is why I suspect he wont be asked to carry the workload by himself. I expect Witts to play a more significant role than most people expect. For that matter also I would also think Hudson will get game time

Whether this equates to second year blues I don't know, but I think we all need to temper our expectations on players like Grundy.

We've just come off a season where two different 2nd year players both made the AA team, in Chad Wingard and Jeremy Cameron - It's certainly not unusual for a player to spur on and get better in their 2nd season either.

The media got him his rookie of the year award, and is actually being found out this season.

His home field record is only 7-7.

Give me Wilson, Luck or Kaepernick any day over Griffin. He is ESPN sponsored, media hype.

Do you Agree?

He hardly had a full season....2nd and a half year blues maybe?

He'll be right, don't worry at all about the big fella, he is too professional and too focussed not to improve.

Anyway, it's not like he has to improve much to be better than last season anyway, he averaged 12 disposals and 21 hitouts in the 7 games he played in the seniors last season, so it's almost like 2014 will be his first full season anyway.

The club I'm sure would like to see him improve his game around the ground, getting more possessions and also moving forward at times when White/Witts/Lynch go in the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back