Universal Love Brodie Grundy man love (bumped, see post #909)

Remove this Banner Ad

On the coverage they were talking up Longer early, but it was only when Grundy was off having a rest. Grundy pantsed him whenever he was in there.

Loving his game at the moment, seems to relish the sole ruck duties and to think he is only 21. Has improved his temperament tenfold from last year.

What I loved about his game last night was his around the ground work.
Two incidents stay in my mind one when he and another player were lumbering for a loose ball on the wing and the play when in the ruck he palmed one straight to Swan, who then went I50. More of that please.

I still laugh at the fact that 12 clubs passed on him before he got to us.

How much would Carlton, Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane, Melbourne or even GWS (who had 5 passes on him) love a ruckman who plays as a midfielder?

Interesting to see how he and Witts go in the same side, we won't know if it will work until we give them a few games together.

Hopefully Witts can step up as a forward or else he may become trade bait for Treloar..
What no..... Witts should be an 'untouchable'. A Witts/Grundy dual ruck makes me super excited. As a ruck he is a very accountable back up forward and if he can average 1 goal a game he is a must in the team.

But to get back on topic, Grundy is a potentially best ruckman in the game within the next 3-5 years.

What no..... Witts should be an 'untouchable'. A Witts/Grundy dual ruck makes me super excited. As a ruck he is a very accountable back up forward and if he can average 1 goal a game he is a must in the team.
I agree, but if we can't get them playing well in the same side and they're liabilities when resting forward then it's an option we'll have to look at.

I bloody hope we can get them playing well together as it will be the best ruck combo I've seen play for collingwood. Shits on Fraser and McKee anyway ;)

But to get back on topic, Grundy is a potentially best ruckman in the game within the next 3-5 years.
Agree. Witts and grundy will be a great combo for years to come. But need to keep them both on our list in case of injury. Also, in the next few years they will both develop into handy forwards as

What I loved about his game last night was his around the ground work.
Two incidents stay in my mind one when he and another player were lumbering for a loose ball on the wing and the play when in the ruck he palmed one straight to Swan, who then went I50. More of that please.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, the Saints player was Shane Savage, (not exactly a lumbering type).
The kick to Grundy went over his head and Grundy turned and the look on his face was "oh fluck" I have to run for that.
To his credit he did run and tackle and we got a goal, (to Billy I think) as a result and the players all congratulated the big fella.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the Saints player was Shane Savage, (not exactly a lumbering type).
The kick to Grundy went over his head and Grundy turned and the look on his face was "oh fluck" I have to run for that.
To his credit he did run and tackle and we got a goal, (to Billy I think) as a result and the players all congratulated the big fella.
Agree Grundy actually held of on the chase, until Savage got a bad bounce then he went in for the ball. If the bounce went the Saints way Grundy was out of the contest.

On the coverage they were talking up Longer early, but it was only when Grundy was off having a rest. Grundy pantsed him whenever he was in there.

Collingwood Players never get much/any Credit in the Media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still laugh at the fact that 12 clubs passed on him before he got to us.

How much would Carlton, Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane, Melbourne or even GWS (who had 5 passes on him) love a ruckman who plays as a midfielder?

Interesting to see how he and Witts go in the same side, we won't know if it will work until we give them a few games together.

I say when Witts Play. Grundy might lay sometime in the Forward Line.

Yeah, I would love the reason why those teams passed on him?

Agree Grundy actually held of on the chase, until Savage got a bad bounce then he went in for the ball. If the bounce went the Saints way Grundy was out of the contest.

Well - Savage is lot Quicker then Grundy so I don’t blame him thinking he had next to no chance to get but when he saw a Chance to get the Ball he went for it

I don't think Grundy/Witts combo works unfortunately. I hope to be proven wrong, but both offer very little up forward. Game has gone past 2 genuine rucks playing together.

Well - They are still young so I still might improve with there Forward Work.

Also you have a back-up because of Injury

Well - Savage is lot Quicker then Grundy so I don’t blame him thinking he had next to no chance to get but when he saw a Chance to get the Ball he went for it
Agree Savage is a lot quicker, then Grundy. Would have liked to see him give some applied pressure before the bad bounce, is the point I am trying to make. But full credit once Savage fumbled he pounced and the end result was a goal.

The reverse argument could be made was Grundy was waiting to see where Savage was heading with the ball, then apply pressure to the ball carrier instead of over committing and getting baulked and giving Savage a no pressure run with the ball.

Agree Savage is a lot quicker, then Grundy. Would have liked to see him give some applied pressure before the bad bounce, is the point I am trying to make. But full credit once Savage fumbled he pounced and the end result was a goal.

The reverse argument could be made was Grundy was waiting to see where Savage was heading with the ball, then apply pressure to the ball carrier instead of over committing and getting baulked and giving Savage a no pressure run with the ball.

Grundy did nothing Terrible in that Contest. Have to Remember he has not got a Big Tank at the moment

I think Witts has shown a fair bit forward and Grundy's all round game is top class, so I wouldn't be writing them off just yet. They are still kids in ruck terms. Put it this way, they have both had numerous games where they showed more forward than Gault did last night. There is time.

I think it was shown early last season that Grundy and Witts can work in the same team.We played our best football last season in the rds when both were supporting each other and I think they are capable of 2 or 3 gls a game between them on a consistent basis.

When I saw Grundy against Brisbane he cleaned up both of their ruckmen but tired in the 3 qtr but before that he was outstanding beat both Martin and Luenberger hands down but he does need help and Witts is the 1 long term.

Witts tackles well is good below his knees and I think can have a long term future at Collingwood it would be foolish in the extreme to get rid of either of them they will I think be better than Monkey and Manson.

I don't think Grundy/Witts combo works unfortunately. I hope to be proven wrong, but both offer very little up forward. Game has gone past 2 genuine rucks playing together.
Witts has always been a potent option in the forward line at VFL, and I don't see any reason to think he won't develop this at AFL as well. I also think he was starting to become better at positioning himself in marking contests around the ground last year as well. Grundy is also developing these aspects to his game, as well as being a superior player when the ball hits the ground. In other words, if things go well then both should be able to more than carry their weight in a number of different ways, I can dream of the day when they'll be every other team's nightmare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back