BRODIE MARTIN

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets be honest though. This has absolutely nothing to do with Brodie Martin earning his spot. He is the last one left.

Wow. You are expecting a lot.

In his 7.5 years in the AFL he has only had 2 goals and 20 touches a massive one time. And that was in a 105pt win.

I can see that you're worried. Agree though, he is last man standing, so obviously Walsh didn't rate his games last season, which is odd considering he continues to support the tripe that VB is dishing up. But I'm a big enough man to admit that Phil's got it wrong:D. Quietly confident Martin will be a good contributor. And I'm equally confident that unless he matches Roo's absolute best, he will be described as a waste of space and his head called for.

Lets be honest though. This has absolutely nothing to do with Brodie Martin earning his spot. He is the last one left.

Wow. You are expecting a lot.

In his 7.5 years in the AFL he has only had 2 goals and 20 touches a massive one time. And that was in a 105pt win.

Should add he played off a HBF for a fair few of his 35 games. His last 7 full games (injured final round) yielded 13 scoring shots.

I can see that you're worried. Agree though, he is last man standing, so obviously Walsh didn't rate his games last season, which is odd considering he continues to support the tripe that VB is dishing up. But I'm a big enough man to admit that Phil's got it wrong:D. Quietly confident Martin will be a good contributor. And I'm equally confident that unless he matches Roo's absolute best, he will be described as a waste of space and his head called for.

Will watch him closely.

Thought he was good early last night and is very committed to the contest. Unfortunately it doesn't seem he's mentally cut out to make it as a solid AFL footballer anymore. He could've taken some real responsibility and nailed our first two goals. Sando's regime damaged him confidence wise, he was so nervous for last night's game and it's a shame how his career has panned out. A depth player at best - although I'm happy to see him in the team in place of VB.

Last edited:
Not too far off of it. 18 games + 2 finals.

Mackay has just been listed as one of our top 10 players from the 'official player ratings' and is ready for a big 2016.

Hey 1970crow and Peter J - how is Brodie Martin looking for this season?

Hey, I remember you. Good to see you're back, I was concerned for your wellbeing. Dmac ahead of Talia and Brown in those ratings, which I think makes sense. But yeh, poor old Martin, terrible timing with injuries/illness and unlike Dmac was always selected regardless of his on-field output.

Since its been brought up, Ive picked 7 games randomly from the past 2 seasons to watch - nearly every game featured brodie martin. I have to say that dude was seriously unlucky and I do find it amazing that he isn't in the team and on the list and mackay has been damn lucky to have been. Everytime he played he superficially seemed to beat mackay's typical output, he's just as fast, a better mark, equal or better in goals, he seems better defensively too, though I'll never know that one without getting a tip off from the coaches.

Since its been brought up, Ive picked 7 games randomly from the past 2 seasons to watch - nearly every game featured brodie martin. I have to say that dude was seriously unlucky and I do find it amazing that he isn't in the team and on the list and mackay has been damn lucky to have been. Everytime he played he superficially seemed to beat mackay's typical output, he's just as fast, a better mark, equal or better in goals, he seems better defensively too, though I'll never know that one without getting a tip off from the coaches.

If nothing else Martin outdid Mackay every time for workrate

That four year contract..

if all the points he kicked in 2014 were goals he'd probably still be here.

one of those guys that ultimately missed out due to injury, but at least he had a better crack at it than many.

I'll never forget that play when he copped a big knock to the head, stayed up long enough to get off a handball to a friendly, then fell to the ground like a sack of potatoes. Played with a lot of heart, leaves the AFL with his head held high IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Martin would still be on our list if whenever he'd make a mistake or kick a behind he'd smash his fist with the palm of his hand or try & look upset. At least then the coaches know he's angry at himself and will pick him for the next game.

Mackay has just been listed as one of our top 10 players from the 'official player ratings' and is ready for a big 2016.

Did you just take a pot shot at the de-listed Brodie Martin?

Given his 20 games yielded a stunning 13.8 poss per game, let me guess, your expecting a break out year for David in 2016?

if all the points he kicked in 2014 were goals he'd probably still be here.

He'd definitely be looked at in a different light. You kick those goals that he muffed and you get yourself on the highlight reels and people say "Remember when Martin kicked that clutch goal to get us back into the game?"

He'd definitely be looked at in a different light. You kick those goals that he muffed and you get yourself on the highlight reels and people say "Remember when Martin kicked that clutch goal to get us back into the game?"

And show that you can convert scoring opportunities at the highest level whilst under pressure.

Interesting Martin played 3 games av 13.7 poss. David treated us to that for all of 20 games, surging ahead with his 13.8

I wonder if he can nudge 14 in his 2016 breakout year

If I recall correctly, Martin was subbed off in his first game. So on a per quarter basis, was likely ahead of ole Mackay on stats.

No s**t?

That's a surprise - I reckon he's good enough that with a year of genuine opportunities, they'd hang on to him.

Well, good on him, either way, seems like a good guy.

Me too. But I suppose Essendon aren't really in a position to offer too many permanent gigs yet. Also, for what is a 1 year offer, the pay seemed a little light on. But yeh, he probably would have gone well and then got crook or injured again.

Im not super shocked he knocked them back but very happy about it. Will be a wonderful addition to the Double Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back