Toast Brodie Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he'd get a two-year extension based on his 2014 season. He should continue to improve next year and I'll back him for a 30-goal season if he stays fit.
As DG said, he will surprise the haters and they'll be ducking for cover by halfway through the season.

Thought he'd get a two-year extension based on his 2014 season. He should continue to improve next year and I'll back him for a 30-goal season if he stays fit.
As DG said, he will surprise the haters and they'll be ducking for cover by halfway through the season.
One season extension was correct. Turns 26 in a couple of weeks and is not a guaranteed member of the best-22. I wish the same precaution was shown for the David Mackay contract extension (which was overly generous).

Oh, and I'm happy to duck for cover if Martin has any sort of impact next season.

If he can nail more of his chances in front of goal, he'd be a lot closer to securing a best 22 spot -

Kicked 8.15 this season - If he straightens up and kicks closer to 20 goals, it would be a win
Bingo.
Gets on the end of a lot of good plays but just doesnt convert. He has a shocking kicking action, no confidence when he has the ball.

Far more likely to
a) play games next year and
b) be involved in our next premiership

Than Reilly, Shaw or CEY. Perhaps the list clogger argument is being misdirected.
I heard CEY was close to playing several games this year, and was always a long term project?

Unlikely to make it imo.
I'm with you on CEY. Saw him live a few times and his disposal is beyond horrible.

The strange thing is he can kick a nice long ball, but ask him to distribute across 20-40m and it's putrid - not just a missing of targets, but the actual execution of the kicking skill. No feel for it at all.

My concern with him is that if you're just missing a few targets it can be remedied - I'm not sure his issues can be.

Shame because his clearance work is pretty good

I'm with you on CEY. Saw him live a few times and his disposal is beyond horrible.

The strange thing is he can kick a nice long ball, but ask him to distribute across 20-40m and it's putrid - not just a missing of targets, but the actual execution of the kicking skill. No feel for it at all.

My concern with him is that if you're just missing a few targets it can be remedied - I'm not sure his issues can be.

Shame because his clearance work is pretty good
I share the same opinion re CEY.

How can you play AFL if you cannot kick but have his other strengths…defensive HBF'er who dishes off to others to kick, tagger in the Shirley mould who doesn't kick very often??

Let's hope he surprises us but he's a turnover merchant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So once he was given a decent chance at the end of the year he was:

7/9 games in our top 10
5/9 games in our top 5
That's an indictment on our performance actually.

While I agree that he's deserving of a spot on the list (and in the 22 if performing) it shows that a lot of other players were not performing.

One season extension was correct. Turns 26 in a couple of weeks and is not a guaranteed member of the best-22. I wish the same precaution was shown for the David Mackay contract extension (which was overly generous).

Oh, and I'm happy to duck for cover if Martin has any sort of impact next season.

The final two years of Mackay's contract will be partially paid out of the veterans allowance. (about 120K per year, of the reported 400K)

So Full Back then?!

I'm just wondering where we can hide him whereby his positives outweigh the massive negative.
I think you could only use him as that bullocking inside mid, where DE is overlooked in favour of winning a clearance and slamming it forward

The final two years of Mackay's contract will be partially paid out of the veterans allowance. (about 120K per year, of the reported 400K)
Was 400 reported somewhere? I only saw it here. Thanks.

A fantastic work ethic from Brodie this year (he looked superfit) and he gave us something at both ends of the field.

He also has confidence and footy smarts running through the midfield (doesn't always take the first option and can step an opponent).

Yep

Side step and decision making at times was a standout
Work ethic was Sloane-like. Was not going to give them a reason to drop him through lack of effort

Have a feeling more players this year under Walsh might play like Brodie - as if it could be their last game :D

Also liked Brodie giving an option. Several times saw him on his own jumping up and down waving his arms on the western side of AO when Wright was kicking in, trying to create an option that would have caught the opposition well out of position

Of course, this might indicate chronic stupidity on Brodie's part - we all knew the kick in was always gonna go eastern side to Sauce on the boundary :D

Happy to see him keep his place, was pleasantly surprised by him in 2014 given he looked gone at the end of 2013. Didn't know he was such a good mark.

A 1 year extension is exactly right. Now he has to keep performing no worse than he did in 2014, otherwise he'll be back on the chopping block.

Last edited:
Missed far too many easy shots on goal last year. I don't think he has the class or poise to be a starting 22 player in a good team. Would've rather taken a punt on someone else who may turn out to be starting 22 quality, but at least it's only a 1 year deal so we're not tied down like we were with Reilly this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back