Toast Brodie Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not my memory, but it has been a long time. My recollection is that he was viewed as just one of those "safe prospects" that does most things right without really excelling at anything.

I didn't follow him as a junior but am sure posters have said this and was another reason they've wanted him to move into the midfield..

The last 10 weeks I've been viewing him as a Goddard like player. Has the smarts, the leg and played a lot on the HBF.. However he has better pace than Goddard. Goddard was always a gun but has lifted to a new level once he was given more midfield time. I understand we need good HBF however I think with the return of Hendo and the rise of Jaensch we should allow him to become an A+.

Dear AFC,
Get Tim Broomhead home to eventually replace Smith's back-line spot. Wishful thinking, but loved his dash, decision making, and foot skills against us on the weekend. Get that freak of a man Smith in the midfield where he belongs.
Yep, the lad can kick, but F*** his hands in close and composure under pressure are bloody good too when he gets amongst it.
Mentioned many times im sure, but excelled as a stoppage player as a junior.

We have grunt around the packs and stoppages, but also average to poor skills and decision making, especially by foot. If grigg can step up, awesome, but we need Smith doing far more damage forward of centre.

One of the few players on our list you would back to make those pin point forward 50 entries, or s**t, i dunno, atleast kick to the forward's advantage (looking at you most other crows :()

That's not my memory, but it has been a long time. My recollection is that he was viewed as just one of those "safe prospects" that does most things right without really excelling at anything.
I recall reading he played similar to judd, but obviously not on that level. Used his clean gather and skills to great effect, but more so his combo of height, reach, and burst speed.

Did anybody else relax when he had the two set shots at goal? It was the first time since Porps in his prime that I actually though yep this will go through the middle. We need to get him onto a wing where he can get closer to goal as he could net us 20-30 goals a year.

Every time he touches the ball I go to a place of calm and tranquility

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why oh Why are people wanting him in the Midfield????

We have an extremely strong and young midfield.

Off the half back flank - he is #1 for metres gained in the AFL, #1 for rebound 50's in the AFL and a lock for All Australian.

The net result to our team in moving him from his current position to the midfield would be a disaster.

Why oh Why are people wanting him in the Midfield????

We have an extremely strong and young midfield.

Off the half back flank - he is #1 for metres gained in the AFL, #1 for rebound 50's in the AFL and a lock for All Australian.

The net result to our team in moving him from his current position to the midfield would be a disaster.
which players in our extremely strong midfield as it stands can hit targets by foot?

which players in our extremely strong midfield as it stands can hit targets by foot?

Very simplistic thought process.

One thing is that we do not know how his kicking efficiency would go in the midfield at AFL level. His kicking style requires more time to get it going and playing him off the half back flank gives him time and space to maximise his kicking. (he currently averages 15.2 uncontested possies compared to 6 contested possies)

The other thought process is who would we replace Smith with? We are currently using 3 rebounding half back flankers in Jaensch, Smith, Henderson. If you remove Smith from the half back flank who takes his spot? Will this decrease in quality across half back be enough to cover the gains in the midfield? Absolutely not.

Very simplistic thought process.

One thing is that we do not know how his kicking efficiency would go in the midfield at AFL level. His kicking style requires more time to get it going and playing him off the half back flank gives him time and space to maximise his kicking. (he currently averages 15.2 uncontested possies compared to 6 contested possies)

The other thought process is who would we replace Smith with? We are currently using 3 rebounding half back flankers in Jaensch, Smith, Henderson. If you remove Smith from the half back flank who takes his spot? Will this decrease in quality across half back be enough to cover the gains in the midfield? Absolutely not.

I dont know if you have watched Adelaide these past couple of years, but the ability of our prime mids to hit a target or kick it to a team mate's advantage, even when they have time and space, is ordinary to say the least. Especially when it comes to forward 50 entires. We have been appalling at this for some time.

Smith excelled as a contested footy mid at junior level despite being a bloody stick.
Has exceptional vision, composure, great skills and decision making by hand and foot. Has that long reach, clean grab and give ala pendlebury, but with a burst of speed.

We have a potent forward line, but dont have the class in the middle to make the most of it.
We need Smith in the thick of the action. Creating out of stoppages and attacking the forward 50.
s**t if all he's going to do down back is go long to the right boundary from the kick outs surely hendo has that covered. The way footy is played Smith will spend plenty of time rolling back anyways.
There's only so long you leave a player of his ability biding his time forward or back.
Brodie Smith hitting his straps, chuck him in the guts and watch him blossom

I dont know if you have watched Adelaide these past couple of years, but the ability of our prime mids to hit a target or kick it to a team mate's advantage, even when they have time and space, is ordinary to say the least. Especially when it comes to forward 50 entires. We have been appalling at this for some time.

Our issue over the past year with inside 50's isn't purely on our midfielders not being able to hit a target. It has a hell of a lot more to do with our forward set up and our leading / ability to create space. Our top 8 players who bring the ball inside 50 are as follows: Sloane, Danger, Douglas, Smith, Thompson, Mackay, Podsiadlly and Jaensch. I would argue that only Danger / Thommo have question marks over there kicking and regardless on whether Smith moves to the midfield - they will still be in there and having very similar numbers.

Also - moving Smith to the midfield to assist our inside 50 delivery isn't going to help to much. You do realise that he is currently 4th at our club (only behind Sloane, Danger, Douglas) for Inside 50's?

Smith excelled as a contested footy mid at junior level despite being a bloody stick.
Has exceptional vision, composure, great skills and decision making by hand and foot. Has that long reach, clean grab and give ala pendlebury, but with a burst of speed.

Which is why he perfectly suited to the role he is playing at All Australian level right now. Why mess that up by throwing him in the middle where he will need to fight to get the footy with Danger, Thommo, Crouch? He will also have less time in the middle. Having him at half back is perfect as it really maximises his talent as he can use his pace and booming kick to move the ball 80 metres rather than 50.

We have a potent forward line, but dont have the class in the middle to make the most of it.
We need Smith in the thick of the action. Creating out of stoppages and attacking the forward 50.
s**t if all he's going to do down back is go long to the right boundary from the kick outs surely hendo has that covered. The way footy is played Smith will spend plenty of time rolling back anyways.
There's only so long you leave a player of his ability biding his time forward or back.
Brodie Smith hitting his straps, chuck him in the guts and watch him blossom

Watch him blossom by putting him into the middle.... I really don't think you understand how important the role a guy like Smith plays. You say you want him in the thick of it? He is in the thick of it. He has the 4th most disposals at our club.

So once again ask yourself this....

If Smith moves to the middle what is the benefit. I understand that you rate his contested side of the game, but will he contribute that much to a side that has Crouch, Danger, Thommo who are all great clearance players.

And you still haven't answered the most important question of all. Who replaces Smith at halfback? And will this drop off in productivity be covered by Smiths improvement on the midfielder he replaces?

Think big picture mate. Saying he is good off half back he would be even better in the middle is ridiculously shallow thinking.

There was no real general consensus from the more knowledgeable draft followers on Smith.

Most said he was an inside mid with good 'game pace' and break away speed with excellent and fast hands. There were disagreements on his kicking. In particular the ability judge depth. He was also known as strong through the hips and had the ability to break tackles easily. A few people agreed he had the potential to be the weapon he is becoming. Some just thought he would be a good player with an iffy kick.

From memory anyway.

I remember the first time i saw him play for the Crows at Footy Park and was sitting in the pocket where he spent most of his time. I couldn't get over how weird his kicking action was. Doesn't bother me so much these days when they're sailing through the uprights from 60m out.

His kicking at 30m to 60m is exceptional
His kicking 15m to 30m is average not bad but needs work

Because of this he is more suited for the backline where he can always kick it longer rather than mid where his 15m-30m would be needed more often

Remove this Banner Ad

Back