Bronwyn Bishop as Speaker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for an independent speaker with no political party affiliations.

Oh! And for the silly old Liberal Party hack who now occupies the Speakers Chair to toddle off with her multi million dollar tax payer handshake never to be heard of again.

It seems logical doesn't it.

Made $50,00 grand per her boys, wonder if I can hire

Oh! And for the silly old Liberal Party hack who now occupies the Speakers Chair to toddle off with her multi million dollar tax payer handshake never to be heard of again.
She is the type of baby boomer that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Thought this for a long time.

It shouldn't even be a politician sitting in the chair.

Thought this for a long time.

It shouldn't even be a politician sitting in the chair.
Agree, whilst using an independent would be good, it is unfortunately not always an option available in some parliaments, also might lead to some nutters getting the job. Just imagine Palmer as speaker of the House with the motoring enthuasist in the Seante? the only indpendent I'd actually consider at the moment in the HoR is Bob Katter. This might seem odd to some, but he'd know more about the way in which the HoR should be run than anyone else there given his experience and up bringing.

For those not familiar with the full experience of Katter, was a member of Qld parliament for 18 years until the seat of Fliners was abolished. His father was the member for Kennedy for 24 years, with a Katter now having held the seat for 45 of the last 48 years (interestingly Rob Hulls, better known for his 16 years in the Victorian parliament, held it from 1990-93).

Agree, whilst using an independent would be good, it is unfortunately not always an option available in some parliaments, also might lead to some nutters getting the job. Just imagine Palmer as speaker of the House with the motoring enthuasist in the Seante? the only indpendent I'd actually consider at the moment in the HoR is Bob Katter. This might seem odd to some, but he'd know more about the way in which the HoR should be run than anyone else there given his experience and up bringing.

For those not familiar with the full experience of Katter, was a member of Qld parliament for 18 years until the seat of Fliners was abolished. His father was the member for Kennedy for 24 years, with a Katter now having held the seat for 45 of the last 48 years (interestingly Rob Hulls, better known for his 16 years in the Victorian parliament, held it from 1990-93).

a senior judge or similar would make sense

on may be 12 month rotations

a senior judge or similar would make sense

on may be 12 month rotations
Could perhaps be a way of retiring high court judges. Kenneth Hayne has to retire next year when he turns 70, then French has to retire 2 years after that, so I suspect that there would be a regular flow of High Court judges who have to retire under the 70 year of age rule.

Maybe the GG could do it? It could be one small step towards a potential role for a non-Monarch Head of State.

Could perhaps be a way of retiring high court judges. Kenneth Hayne has to retire next year when he turns 70, then French has to retire 2 years after that, so I suspect that there would be a regular flow of High Court judges who have to retire under the 70 year of age rule.

or may be under 30s, for the work for the dole scheme:)

Minor parties aren't independents...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most posters here have no idea whatever of what the standing orders are and how oppositions take them on and government appointed Speakers thwart them.

Now Bronnie presents as an outcast of Addams Family so easy to mock.. But she does keep everything moving along and QT is nowhere nearly as laboured as it usually has been forever I can remember.

Having watched closely from the beginning of her tenure,I believe she is an outrageous campy flirt with the opposition front bench and my belief is they get entertained regularly in the Speakers luxurious office, plied with the excellent grog available to a Speaker for hours while hilarious stories and much lascivious gossip is recounted in steam-letting-off-exercises which really good Speakers need to be adept at.

Especially Joel Fitzgibbon and Tony Burke. She has the eye for Albo too, imo.

Might be misreading, but that's my take so far. So imo - the jury is still out on Bronnie, but I think you lot all might be too deranged to get what's going on.

Bronnie is relishing being Speaker nearly as much as |Tones is very obviously in the stratosphere waking every morning and remembering he is PM.
Quoted for giggles.

She actually removed a member from the Libs today, to a round of applause.

Bishop is clearly the worst Speaker in history and a disastrous appointment, but there needs to be wholesale reform of the way QT is conducted. It is a stone's throw from a primary school classroom, and it doesn't have to be the utter waste of time that it is currently.

Did someone mention the Addams family?

451277-b5372772-61ec-11e3-be16-1445237cc09f.jpg

Will watch today's QT recording later but she was abysmal yesterday.

Dreyfus called Abbott a grub and was only asked to withdraw. Says "Madam Speaker" and gets named.

The proposed changes that have been mentioned above are not unreasonable, but they shouldn't be necessary. Other speakers have been able to maintain some semblance of order - most of the time. I question whether there should be reform on the basis of one terrible, speaker.

Will watch today's QT recording later but she was abysmal yesterday.

Not much better today

Katter made some play at trying to talk to Hockey "as a Queenslander." I didn't get it all, but it turned into a SoO analogy where she said she has a "definite bias for blue"

Not much better today

Katter made some play at trying to talk to Hockey "as a Queenslander." I didn't get it all, but it turned into a SoO analogy where she said she has a "definite bias for blue"
I don't mind that sort of stuff. There's still a place for banter. It is more the mindless bickering that she consistently fails to control, and often incites and encourages.

She actually removed a member from the Libs today, to a round of applause.

Bishop is clearly the worst Speaker in history and a disastrous appointment, but there needs to be wholesale reform of the way QT is conducted. It is a stone's throw from a primary school classroom, and it doesn't have to be the utter waste of time that it is currently.

if the entire population sat and watched QT for a day I wonder what they'd be thinking of our elected MP's? Then again, getting the average Joe to steer away from daytime TV would be a pretty hard task, but it does make for rather pathetic TV. I long for the days when Keating would nail Hewson with ten words or less.

Not much better today

At least Katter is passionate! I remember listening to him give a speech a few years back about drought devastated farmers and the amount of suicides that were occurring, he was in tears, and it was one of the better speeches I'd had the pleasure of listening to.

Bishop booted the Member for Herbert not even three minutes into the time allocated for questioning. Also as for people putting Pyne and Bishop down did also enjoy hearing Christopher roll Burke and Labor legitimately awesomely with his support of Bishop's position allowing use of her offices to take guests for fundraisers by badly exposing the act of a former speaker in 93 who was involved in the saame act. Makes massive mess of Labor harping on about it never being done before and also that Bishop is going getting on and above the speaker's role of independence and impartiality in her hosting of such functions. Disgraceful embarrassment for Tony Burke.

Bishop booted the Member for Herbert not even three minutes into the time allocated for questioning. Also as for people putting Pyne and Bishop down did also enjoy hearing Christopher roll Burke and Labor legitimately awesomely with his support of Bishop's position allowing use of her offices to take guests for fundraisers by badly exposing the act of a former speaker in 93 who was involved in the saame act. Makes massive mess of Labor harping on about it never being done before and also that Bishop is going getting on and above the speaker's role of independence and impartiality in her hosting of such functions. Disgraceful embarrassment for Tony Burke.

Pretty sure that "push bike" Leo MacLeay was the reason for the unwritten agreement that Speakers should show some independence within their office in regards to party fund raisers.

But if you can touch wood about that total hypocrisy by Pyne, then best of luck to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back