Bronwyn Bishop as Speaker

Remove this Banner Ad

Bishop's master at work

Bon1_XEIYAAyY_K.jpg:large

On Monday, Manager of Opposition Business Tony Burke accused Mrs Bishop of "trashing" the independence of the Speaker's position over the budget-night Liberal Party dinner held in Bronwyn Bishop's suite at Parliament House.

He has since written to Parliament's powerful privileges committee asking it to investigate the matter.

Mrs Bishop's office has said no taxpayer funds were used to hold the function.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Leader of the House, Christopher Pyne, moved a motion that Parliament demand Mr Burke apologise for a "grotesque reflection" on the Speaker.

"When an egregious falsehood has been made against the Speaker, when a gross calumny has been visited on the Speaker and has been proven to be a gross calumny, the right course of action is to come into the House and immediately apologise," he told Parliament.

Mr Pyne accused Mr Burke of bullying the Speaker from the day she was appointed, when the Opposition strategist referred to Mrs Bishop as the character Dolores Umbridge from the Harry Potter novels.

"If he doesn't apologise to you then he should resign, Madam Speaker, and if he doesn't resign, the Leader of the Opposition should show the strength of character and leadership that is required in the leader of a great political party and sack him," Mr Pyne said.

He seized on Mr Burke's claim on Monday that the Speaker's actions in hosting the dinner set a precedent, producing an article from 2000 that stated former Labor speaker Leo Macleay had also held ALP fundraisers in the Speaker's suite.

Mr Burke said "if a fact was incorrect, then I'm sorry that that occurred", but described the motion as an attack on freedom of speech.

"Sure there are some parliaments in the world where this happens. North Korea probably does stuff like this," he said.

"What's happened to Australian democracy if the Parliament is such that elected members of Parliament get told what to say by Christopher Pyne?"

Mr Burke said he would not apologise.

"What no observer of this chamber should apologise for is the claim that this Speaker is biased," he said.

The motion passed on the Government's majority in the House, but Mrs Bishop took no action against Mr Burke when he refused to formally say sorry for his criticism of her.

On Monday, Manager of Opposition Business Tony Burke accused Mrs Bishop of "trashing" the independence of the Speaker's position over the budget-night Liberal Party dinner held in Bronwyn Bishop's suite at Parliament House.

He has since written to Parliament's powerful privileges committee asking it to investigate the matter.

Mrs Bishop's office has said no taxpayer funds were used to hold the function.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Leader of the House, Christopher Pyne, moved a motion that Parliament demand Mr Burke apologise for a "grotesque reflection" on the Speaker.

"When an egregious falsehood has been made against the Speaker, when a gross calumny has been visited on the Speaker and has been proven to be a gross calumny, the right course of action is to come into the House and immediately apologise," he told Parliament.

Mr Pyne accused Mr Burke of bullying the Speaker from the day she was appointed, when the Opposition strategist referred to Mrs Bishop as the character Dolores Umbridge from the Harry Potter novels.

"If he doesn't apologise to you then he should resign, Madam Speaker, and if he doesn't resign, the Leader of the Opposition should show the strength of character and leadership that is required in the leader of a great political party and sack him," Mr Pyne said.

He seized on Mr Burke's claim on Monday that the Speaker's actions in hosting the dinner set a precedent, producing an article from 2000 that stated former Labor speaker Leo Macleay had also held ALP fundraisers in the Speaker's suite.

Mr Burke said "if a fact was incorrect, then I'm sorry that that occurred", but described the motion as an attack on freedom of speech.

"Sure there are some parliaments in the world where this happens. North Korea probably does stuff like this," he said.

"What's happened to Australian democracy if the Parliament is such that elected members of Parliament get told what to say by Christopher Pyne?"

Mr Burke said he would not apologise.

"What no observer of this chamber should apologise for is the claim that this Speaker is biased," he said.

The motion passed on the Government's majority in the House, but Mrs Bishop took no action against Mr Burke when he refused to formally say sorry for his criticism of her.
There are quoting rules, you realise this right?

Also, are you actually trying to defend Bishop's independance, how novel.

I listened to the whole thing & it was 20 minutes or so of time I wont get back & we paid for. It was a load of crap. Perhaps they should debate meaningful things that affect the country. Party Political crap is just that, a waste of time & our money.

I listened to the whole thing & it was 20 minutes or so of time I wont get back & we paid for. It was a load of crap. Perhaps they should debate meaningful things that affect the country. Party Political crap is just that, a waste of time & our money.
Yep waste of time as full of Dorothy Dix questions by coalition and questions by opposition that never really get answered.
I may be wrong but it seems that the questions are tabled before hand so no real surprises either.

SACK THIS CRONE ALREADY

Turfs Swan today for calling Abbott a liar lol
And did you hear widdle Cwissy Pyne come running to the mic to sink a boot
I laughed the other day, when she told Shorten not to hold the budget booklet, because it was a prop...

Hilarious - had a good laugh and thought I would share.
http://www.theguardian.com/australi...bid-to-head-international-parliamentary-group
Parliamentary speaker Bronwyn Bishop has been defeated in her bid to attain global office by becoming president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU).

In her nomination letter to the IPU, Bishop said the election of a female president would show that the organisation is an “egalitarian and united institution”.
Bishop was one of four candidates bidding for the position but lost out to Saber Chowdhury, a Bangladesh MP and former political prisoner.
“As a woman and an egalitarian, I am proud to associate myself with the work the IPU is doing to increase gender equality across the institution’s member states,” Bishop wrote.

But her bid was reportedly damaged by her support for the highly controversial move to separate women who wear burqas from other visitors to parliament and place them behind a glass screen when watching debates.

Hilarious - had a good laugh and thought I would share.
http://www.theguardian.com/australi...bid-to-head-international-parliamentary-group
Parliamentary speaker Bronwyn Bishop has been defeated in her bid to attain global office by becoming president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU).

In her nomination letter to the IPU, Bishop said the election of a female president would show that the organisation is an “egalitarian and united institution”.
Bishop was one of four candidates bidding for the position but lost out to Saber Chowdhury, a Bangladesh MP and former political prisoner.
“As a woman and an egalitarian, I am proud to associate myself with the work the IPU is doing to increase gender equality across the institution’s member states,” Bishop wrote.

But her bid was reportedly damaged by her support for the highly controversial move to separate women who wear burqas from other visitors to parliament and place them behind a glass screen when watching debates.
I read the word union! I know all I need to know!

Bone n harmony plus... THUGZ!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a toss up as to who is the most embarrassing, monosyllabic jug lugs Tony or Bronny hairspray Bishop. A couple of conservative duds doing one term jobs.

It's actually outrageous. One apparently ejected for reading form the Standing Order. Something the old battleaxe did all the time when in opposition.

An opposition is never going to win a lack of confidence motion so there needs to be a better mechanism by which a speakers performance can be judged and if it doesn't measure up have him/her removed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back