Brown nose gnome "furious"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Almost as petty as Langer chucking a teary because someone expressed their view of him.

I know you want to defend him because he is a Western Australian, but at least have both eyes open whilst doing it.

He has every right to have a 'teary'. He probably should have done it behind the scenes though. However, when you've also got Wayne Clark and, Id guess, the entire WACA being upset about it, its a bit hard to sweep it under the carpet.

I dont know how I can keep both eyes open by the way. Stupid criticism is warranted in this case is it?

I don't mind Langer and I agree that it is very harsh and unprofessional by the commentator. I agree Goalden Hawk that I love it when they liven up the commentary but "brown nosed gnome" and "soft shot by soft player" aren't funny and are just childish and insulting.

Still Langer would probably deal with it behind the scenes if he had his time again.

Originally posted by CatManDo
Stupid criticism is warranted in this case is it?

Not warranted, nor is childish name calling and jingoistic defence of Langer.

Let's face it, this incident proves Langer is as stupid as he sounds. He's one of the players in the most important sporting team in the country, in a sport that is followed by over a billion people worldwide. That's a lot of different opinions. I happen to think he's the luckiest batsmen in the history of the Aus test team, the amount of times he hasn't been called LBW when he was out. That's my opinion. The baggygreen guy has expressed his opinion (although in an unprofessional manner).

If Langer is going to take notice of everything that is said about him, he will go crazy - one would think that a senior Australian player would be more mature than that. Martyn and Lee have been under the pump all year and have not resorted to whinging. I am hoping that under the new leadership of the Tasmanian, that attitudes such as Langer's will fade away - Wagstaff has pointed out his hypocrisy - which reminds me of a 5-10year old child.

Grow up Justin, and remember, you are a cricketer, let your bat do your talking.

Originally posted by P76
I happen to think he's the luckiest batsmen in the history of the Aus test team, the amount of times he hasn't been called LBW when he was out.

That's wrong, Lang is also one of the most unlucky, kept being given out lbw when the ball pitched a mile outside off (Asoka, anyone?)

Still, the baggygreen commentator's being silly, but Lang's also being silly, surely this is not the first time in his life that he's called a brown nose gnome? Why the f*** is he so angry then?

Cooldude, that's 1 unlucky, to at least 8 luckies I can think of off the top of my head.

I actually think that Langer is so upset because he is very insecure, as a player and a person. He has that Jeckyll and Hyde batting personality, and most of his statements tend to suggest that he feels that he needs to assert how important a player he is.

The time when he told everyone about Haydo's "gladiator" squatting thing - it came out like a kid getting one up on someone else, the old "yeah well you think you're good, I know something that you don't about the coolest guy around, (who by the way I hang out with)".

He is a very strange man, the BNG

I'm not sure why you are all thinking that it's Langer that's made this hit the papers... I'm sure he didn't ring up Fox Sports and complain. He would have complain through the correct channels (ie Cricket Australia) and some other Banana bender leaked it to the papers.
If he didn't complain (which I think he has every right to... just as he would complain to the ABC or Ch 9 if Tony Greig or Kerry O'Keeffe had said the same thing), it probably still would have made the papers in one of those "funny things in sports columns" in most papers.

I think the cricinfo commentator needs to realise that it isn't like it was 10 years ago when it was on IRC and completely unofficial. I actually commentated parts of the Aus tour of the Windies in 1995 from my lounge room watching Ch 10 (I was commentating the 200 from Steve Waugh and when Warney ran through the tail to win the final test). I could have said anything I wanted, and they only knew my signin name (which was ThePope). Now I'm sure that they are paid employees of Wisden/Cricinfo and are indirectly representatives of Cricket Australia.
They should know better than to insult any player during there recording of the match. I'm all for colour commentary (the WACA guy does it very well), but insults are not needed.

It was as unprofessional by the commentator as WA's bowling display on the day.

Originally posted by ThePope
I'm not sure why you are all thinking that it's Langer that's made this hit the papers... I'm sure he didn't ring up Fox Sports and complain. He would have complain through the correct channels (ie Cricket Australia) and some other Banana bender leaked it to the papers.
Oh please. Langer would hardly have read through CricInfo's ball by ball description as soon as he got back to the hotel that night.

The press would have gotten hold of the description - probably from a site like this or a newsgroup that logged the comment - and approached Langer about it.

Looks like Langer gave them the reaction they wanted.

2/104 at lunch.

The "whinging, annoying, petty, stupid, selfish, hypocritical", and whatever other insult anyone could manage to spell, Langer, is out.

The next Australian opening batsmen, Hussey and Rogers, going along nicely.

Originally posted by DaveW
Oh please. Langer would hardly have read through CricInfo's ball by ball description as soon as he got back to the hotel that night.

The press would have gotten hold of the description - probably from a site like this or a newsgroup that logged the comment - and approached Langer about it.

Thats exactly as it happened as far as I know. He was alerted to it by the media, the caring bunch that they are.

He's just gotta learn to laugh these things off. Can you imagine Doug Walters or Dennis Lillee getting their knickers in a twist over something like that?

It's his problem now - looks like he's just earnt himself a new nickname.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8690732-23210,00.html
A Brisbane Sunday newspaper this morning reported Langer, who would not comment, was furious about the incident.

West Australian coach Wayne Clark said the left-hander was "very disappointed".

A CA spokesperson said officials have demanded an explanation from Wisden.
Next time think or research before you post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8690732-23210,00.html
A Brisbane Sunday newspaper this morning reported Langer, who would not comment, was furious about the incident.

West Australian coach Wayne Clark said the left-hander was "very disappointed".

A CA spokesperson said officials have demanded an explanation from Wisden.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats the other thing - Wayne Clark was the vocal one about the incident, not Langer.

Next time think or research before you post.
They wouldn't take that course of action because of the bad press? :confused:

Although I'll concede my surmising isn't quite right since I haven't seen any direct quotes from Langer. But he's made his unhappiness known to the press one way or another.

I can't accept that Langer would have complained to Cricket Australia at the time when it was only a little known comment that was removed within a couple of minutes.

I can't accept that Langer would have complained to Cricket Australia at the time when it was only a little known comment that was removed within a couple of minutes.
I never said he would have complained to CA at the time or would have read the comment himself... I only said that he wouldn't be the one complaining to the media. He would have been told about the insult by either the media or indirectly from someone reading this board, or probably a few other forums/sites and either he (as captain as well as the target) or team management would have taken the appropriate action... which was to complain to CA and Wisden/Cricinfo.

And as for those other posters who criticise his voice, his luck, his height or whatever else... get a life... he's been a major part of the Test team's success since they put him in to open in that Ashes Test, and probably part of the reason that Hayden's been so successful too. A good partnership is always better than a single player.

I laughed when I saw the back page of the West today and read this.

On Friday my housemate came home with Langers book "The power and the passion".

I suggested a more fitting title would have been "One angry dwarf". (Like the Ben Folds Five song)

what a coincedence!

Gee whiz, i can't believe all this critisism Langer is copping. From what i gathered over the years he is a thouroughly decent bloke and the ultimate team man, right up there with Hayden in terms of talking up his fellow players and thanking people for the opportunity he got. If people are narky about him thanking steve waugh for having faith in him, then you'd i would assume hold the same selfish views for matthew hayden, who practically dedicated his speech at the AB medal night in 2001 to waugh, and has made no secret of how much of a 'God' he thinks steve waugh is, and forever mentioning the opportunities and faith he was shown by waugh etc. On scoring his world record 380 he rated batting alongside Waugh both wearing the baggy green as a bigger honour than getting that world record. Hayden also joined the plethora saying age shouldn't be a factor. He must be a similar age to Langer as well, and i wouldnt suspect there are any hidden motives behind that.

Would anyone be willing to call Haydos a brown nosed hippie?

I think it would be better (in a perfect world) if most players shut their mouths most of the time. They are sportsmen, not politicians / debaters / wordsmiths.

And as for most of them saying age should have nothing to do with selection, are they really all that naive (stupid)?

Of course age is a factor, always has been, always will be.

unfortunately P76 the result is players will be shutting their mouths, or churning out exactly the same cliche's time and time again if they arent already. There are very few sportsmen left where you actually get an insight to what they are thinking. Most of them are hiding behind the veil of copious media training, they are not willing to leave themselves open.

I think the most boring interviews on radio are actually with the sportspeople. All i ever hear is "taking it one game at a time" and "nah yeah, we played well. Nah yeah it was a good game. Nah yeah we finished last but we're looking forward to next year"

Originally posted by P76
Cooldude, that's 1 unlucky, to at least 8 luckies I can think of off the top of my head.

I actually think that Langer is so upset because he is very insecure, as a player and a person. He has that Jeckyll and Hyde batting personality, and most of his statements tend to suggest that he feels that he needs to assert how important a player he is.

The time when he told everyone about Haydo's "gladiator" squatting thing - it came out like a kid getting one up on someone else, the old "yeah well you think you're good, I know something that you don't about the coolest guy around, (who by the way I hang out with)".

He is a very strange man, the BNG

mate you are obsessed, what the hell are you talking about here?? everything you are saying is totally in your head.....maybe you should go back and watch a few more of JL's LBW "dismissals" over the past few years and reasess how lucky he is.
personally I really couldnt care who said what as long as JL keeps blasting centuries at the top with haydos I'll be happy.

i agree danny. I have highlights of every test series in the last 4-5 years on tape and its incredible to see how many times Langer is victim to a very poor LBW decision. I remember the uproar in Adelaide about Tendulkar ducking into a glenn mcgrath bouncer and being given out LBW, but no mention of the ball Langer practically middled and was given out to.

Originally posted by nicko18
unfortunately P76 the result is players will be shutting their mouths, or churning out exactly the same cliche's time and time again if they arent already. There are very few sportsmen left where you actually get an insight to what they are thinking. Most of them are hiding behind the veil of copious media training, they are not willing to leave themselves open.

I think the most boring interviews on radio are actually with the sportspeople. All i ever hear is "taking it one game at a time" and "nah yeah, we played well. Nah yeah it was a good game. Nah yeah we finished last but we're looking forward to next year"

I couldn't agree more Nicko, they usually are very boring, but with sportsmen like Langer, they can't be anything else - IMHO there is not much going on up there, especially in terms of analysing his or anyone else's game, at least in a way that can be communicated to the public. Of course not all sportsmen/women are like this. Mark Taylor I always find interesting to listen to because he does give you a genuine insight.

And of course it's not just the sportsmen of today - Neil Harvey is a complete tool, with no insight into the game that I can understand, but a great batsman nonetheless.

There is a difference to getting an insight into how an elite sportman plays the game and petulant / arrogant outbursts when you are going badly / well. Not pointing the finger directly at Justin here, but the Aussies have been veering in this direction in the last few years, which is why I think it might be better if they just shut up.

Sport is like life - there are all sorts of people trucking around the scene. Langer is one I can't get to like on any level. However, he is in the test team, and I am lucky to get a game in the fourths, so there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back