Unofficial Preview Brownlow Medal 2014: Freo watch

Remove this Banner Ad

To suggest Priddis is a better player than Ablett because the latter was injured is ridiculous. If they want to award the medal to the most consistent player over an entire season they need to say so, not just call him the "best and fairest". The best player would be the one that scores the most amount of brownlow points per game. And fairest? Well that's determined by the knee-jerk MRP lotto. Oh - and not if a player accidentally bumps another in the head (which this time is judged by the MRP craps table).

For the record (Brownlow points/game):
Ablett: 15 games, 22 points (1.47 points/game)
Fyfe: 18 games, 25 points (1.39 points/game)
Priddis: 22 games, 26 points (1.18 points/game)
Isn't it common knowledge by people who truly follow footy that the brownlow is just an excuse for the umpires to feel a bit of recognition and the players to show off their girls? The huge glory the winner receives from the media and the less informed public makes it a worthwhile achievement but even they know the players and coaches awards are the ones that bring true respect from anyone who plays the game, has played the game, or is a serious supporter of the game.

Last edited:
Isn't it common knowledge by people who truly follow footy that the brownlow is just an excuse for the umpires to feel a bit of recognition and the players to show off their girls? The huge glory they receive from the media and the less informed public makes it a worthwhile achievement but even they know the players and coaches awards are the ones that bring true respect from anyone who plays the game, has played the game, or is a serious supporter of the game.

Yeah it's funny how the general public consider the Brownlow Medal the holiest of achievements (and rightly so considering the history) even though the voters are the very people who fans cuss, abuse, threaten and passionately hate on a weekly basis for their so called poor judgment, blindness and general incompetence.

I have to say I laughed more than I ever have watching this one. Just the way they were pumping up Selwood and Buddy and Josh Kennedy from Sydney and then Fyfe became the elephant in the room and they were trying to pretend he didn't exist and then Priddis sort of snuck up and everyone was going WTF?
It was just a weird night.

I have to say I laughed more than I ever have watching this one. Just the way they were pumping up Selwood and Buddy and Josh Kennedy from Sydney and then Fyfe became the elephant in the room and they were trying to pretend he didn't exist and then Priddis sort of snuck up and everyone was going WTF?

hahahahaha YES!

Good on him for working so hard to make it in the AFL. Not unlike Barlow in as much as he had to work harder than most just to get on a list.

He is a ball player and he is not into the whole ducking and throwing the head back thing that is a cancer in the Egos team. He also seems to have a go regardless of the state of the game, not a down hill skier like a few of the others around him. Seems humble too.

Yeah it's funny how the general public consider the Brownlow Medal the holiest of achievements (and rightly so considering the history) even though the voters are the very people who fans cuss, abuse, threaten and passionately hate on a weekly basis for their so called poor judgment, blindness and general incompetence.
Tell me about it every time I hear an umpire say "free kick to 'GAZ' give the ball to 'GAZ'" makes me wanna puke! What???Are they mates?? It's Gary to you you unprofessional biased fool!:mad:

spot on.

Even in the "wrap" Bruce was tip-toeing around Fyfe like he didn't deserve to have that many votes. I think the team before he mentioned that "so and so" would be certain to get a brownlow in the future. No comment for Fyfe.

Didn't sound like fyfe was at the count? Ineligibles don't get invited?

I'm so bloody glad Buddy didn't win, but it was disappointing Gazza didn't hold on.

another odd moment was when they zoomed in on Boak and said "he needs the 3 to win" when they lost the game and Crowley gave him a bit of a bath.

The thing about Bradbury is that no one ever gives him credit for making it to an Olympic Final, a feat that would have taken years of work and dedication, applying himself to a sport that nobody in this country gives two hoots about. Sure he had luck on the day, but he didn't just rock up to the rink that morning and say 'I'll give this a go'. Priddis's effort is amazing and he should be a role model for all kids that aren't naturally blessed with skill. You can succeed at the top if you persist and work hard.
If only you could compare Josh Simpson and Matt Priddis as 17 year olds. One with skill to burn and one not likely to be drafted.
I hope I can teach my boy that if he loves something enough and wants to make it at the highest level, hard work will beat talent every time. People who are saying the Brownlow is a joke are, I think, missing a big part of the point here.

I am quite pleased with the result but there is no doubt that the Eagles fans I know will find some way of inevitably ruining it with some idiotic carrying on

I'm not that upset about Priddis winning; I knew Fyfe and Ablett wouldn't and couldn't stand either Selwood, Franklin or Dangerfield picking one up.

Priddis isn't amazing but has the Freo-type workman mentality in a team full of poseurs (and was a blue-collar Freo supporter in his youth). This is partly why chardonnay-molesting Weagirls can't stand him.

I know I'll be assassinated for this but I feel he offers more drive and durability than Mundy currently does (a fully fit Mundy would slaughter him though).

The good thing about this result is that it means silent achievers like Barlow could one day pick up a medal as well. 2015 is going to be between Fyfe/Barlow.

The thing about Bradbury is that no one ever gives him credit for making it to an Olympic Final, a feat that would have taken years of work and dedication, applying himself to a sport that nobody in this country gives two hoots about. Sure he had luck on the day, but he didn't just rock up to the rink that morning and say 'I'll give this a go'. Priddis's effort is amazing and he should be a role model for all kids that aren't naturally blessed with skill. You can succeed at the top if you persist and work hard.
If only you could compare Josh Simpson and Matt Priddis as 17 year olds. One with skill to burn and one not likely to be drafted.
I hope I can teach my boy that if he loves something enough and wants to make it at the highest level, hard work will beat talent every time. People who are saying the Brownlow is a joke are, I think, missing a big part of the point here.
My recollection is he only made the final because the same thing that won him the gold happened in the semi as well.

I know I'll be assassinated for this but I feel he offers more drive and durability than Mundy currently does (a fully fit Mundy would slaughter him though).
Aside from his ankle injury in 2011 Mundy is as durable as any player.

Mundy certainly lacks drive though.

That's because he lucked into that as well. He finished 3rd in the quarter final (top 2 go through) but 2nd place got disqualified, then in the semi he was coming last until everyone except him and 1st fell over.

btw.: Why is Mundy ineligible? Did he get 1 game that got downgraded on early plea and/or good record during the season? Can't remember it and he played all games...

Got a reprimand for a level one charge of whacking a Selwood
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-05-05/mundy-cited-by-the-afl-mrp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My recollection is he only made the final because the same thing that won him the gold happened in the semi as well.
I think that's true but I'm pretty sure he also had bad luck himself at previous Olympics when he was actually in his prime as a skater and decent medal chance.

Aside from his ankle injury in 2011 Mundy is as durable as any player.

Mundy certainly lacks drive though.

And Fyfe and Barlow would make Priddis look like a far better player than he actually is; Crowley, Mzungu and De Boer would ensure he would remain even more tagless than he currently is. Mundy has the ability to be that player x10 - hopefully we see it next year.

BTW Neale to get 15 votes in 2015.

From a Freo point of view i'm glad to see Neale got a couple of 3 votes - the Derby and the last game against Port. He's coming along nicely as a footballer.

The thing about Bradbury is that he was actually a medal favourite at an earlier Olympics, but got taken out in one of the minor finals in exactly the same way - by another skater falling and didn't make the final. He also once had a very serious injury caused the same way. So he's actually had more bad luck come his way in others falling over than good luck. But it's only the good luck one that we remember.

So there's two observations that can be made, Bradbury is bloody dedicated and persistent, and that falling over in speed skating is just a hazard that they have to deal with in that sport.

Over on the Eagles board, one of their supporters was putting up videos of every priddis stat from the past few games. Nothing outstanding, just a solid disposal collector with the more than occasional howler
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvDmNGQxzz68GVR8Esmn0mQ/videos

I especially like his first inside 50 delivery in this one

Yeah kranky al is on a bit of a crusade there. I'm impressed that he's actually going a step further over the usual BF back and forth to actually try and have visual evidence for his point of view.

The thing about Bradbury is that no one ever gives him credit for making it to an Olympic Final, a feat that would have taken years of work and dedication, applying himself to a sport that nobody in this country gives two hoots about.

Bradbury was also a previous world champion - Priddis has a Sandover. Similar analogies.

Well done Matt Priddis. In 10 years no one will know that Fyfey "shoulda won it" or Gaz was inujred.

I see Matt at the shops with his kids all the time. He seems like one of the good guys.

Good on Priddis.

As to a Freo Brownlow medallist, I think it maybe unlikely if the points system stays and the judiciary maintains an intent on charging every Fremantle player with every minor indescretion. Dawson, Ballas and crowley are honestly about the only Freo players that push boundaries but it seems reports will contine to abound especially with the hysteria about Crowley and Ballas playing styles.

Good on Priddis.

As to a Freo Brownlow medallist, I think it maybe unlikely if the points system stays and the judiciary maintains an intent on charging every Fremantle player with every minor indescretion. Dawson, Ballas and crowley are honestly about the only Freo players that push boundaries but it seems reports will contine to abound especially with the hysteria about Crowley and Ballas playing styles.

Yep it's a stigma we will carry until Crowley retires and ballas doesn't get suspended twice a year. Their reputation has affected the entire teams standing to the umpires I think.

In 2012 do you remember when Sam Mitchell was leading the Brownlow for a period of the night (ineligible), and I think it was Hodge they kept pointing the camera too who was getting extremely emotional and even began crying when it looked like Mitchell was going to take it before Watson finally snared it (think he was even interviewed about it during).

They played on the drama of his ineligibility and made it into a massive curveball for the night - complete reverse for last night when Fyfe's name wasn't even brought up apart from when receiving the votes. His lack of recognition I think made people in the crowd a lot more uneasy than if they had discussed it.

I wonder if they'd pointed the camera a bit more at the Fremantle table they might have seen some anguished blokes when Fyfe was a point ahead in the final round of the tally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back