Unofficial Preview Brownlow Medal 2014: Freo watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok...conspiracy theory coming up.
I have watched many brownlow counts and have never seen one with such a long ad break before the last round. Would have been very easy to manipulate that vote, given Priddas had already won, to give him an extra couple so he won it outright and save a lot of embarrassment from Fyfe polling the most votes.
Definitely a thing to make you go hmmmmm.
Pretty obvious this is what happened.. I watched that last WCE game (mostly for DT grand final purproses) and if Priddis was anywhere near in the top 8-10 players on the ground then i was watching something else. Who said the AFL doesn't manipulate things to suit their own PR agenda..

Over on the Eagles board, one of their supporters was putting up videos of every priddis stat from the past few games. Nothing outstanding, just a solid disposal collector with the more than occasional howler
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvDmNGQxzz68GVR8Esmn0mQ/videos

I especially like his first inside 50 delivery in this one

His disposal is s**t, with no punish factor, and the worst thing about that video is the way his opponents, or anyone in the vicinity for that matter are just able to stroll past. Playing on him must be a joy because you'd be 100% certain he's never going to catch you

When Ploddis won I thought that everyone would accept it for the joke it is, one of those ridiculous Brownlow decisions that happen every 6 years or so, but all I hear is well deserved, nice bloke and that type of rubbish.

Lets face it, Ploddis is not in the top 20 players running around. Lucky to be top 50. He picked up votes for effort (I thought they stopped giving votes for effort in school) in games where no one played a quality game.

It was not "well deserved". It was lucky and again shows why the Brownlow is a joke.

I have the greatest respect for Matt and how he humbly accepted the medal and how with limited ability tries his guts out every week.

But the best footballer is laughable. Well deserved is an insult to all the other footballers who are better players than him. Easily in the list of the 5 worst players to win since the comp went national in 1987.

I'm waiting for an honest story on this.

When Ploddis won I thought that everyone would accept it for the joke it is, one of those ridiculous Brownlow decisions that happen every 6 years or so, but all I hear is well deserved, nice bloke and that type of rubbish.

Lets face it, Ploddis is not in the top 20 players running around. Lucky to be top 50. He picked up votes for effort (I thought they stopped giving votes for effort in school) in games where no one played a quality game.

It was not "well deserved". It was lucky and again shows why the Brownlow is a joke.

I have the greatest respect for Matt and how he humbly accepted the medal and how with limited ability tries his guts out every week.

But the best footballer is laughable. Well deserved is an insult to all the other footballers who are better players than him. Easily in the list of the 5 worst players to win since the comp went national in 1987.

I'm waiting for an honest story on this.

It just shows how flawed the Brownlow is more than anything.

Umpires award 3 votes to the person on the winning team who gets the most disposals on the ground each week, regardless of what else happens.

If Priddis gets 35 touches, while Josh Kennedy kicks 12 goals, Priddis gets the votes. That's how relevant the Brownlow is.

It has always been the case that one player who stands out in a middle of the road team has as good a chance of winning it compared to superstar from a good team. Basically because votes are awarded for each game and they all count equal. Three votes for the Melbourne v St Kilda game counts just as much as 3 votes for Hawthorn v Sydney. There is no easy way to to give a weighting to the votes awarded to each game to reflect the standard of that game.

The other thing is that good sides tend to have more than one good player, so they all pinch votes off each other. On the reverse side, a stand out player in a really bad side wont get many votes because if they are copping regular floggings all of the votes will go to the winning side. But for a middle ranking team, even if they lose by a smallish margin the umpires will often award one or two votes to the best player from the losing team, which if there is only one he tends to get regular votes.

His disposal is s**t, with no punish factor, and the worst thing about that video is the way his opponents, or anyone in the vicinity for that matter are just able to stroll past. Playing on him must be a joy because you'd be 100% certain he's never going to catch you

I still can't decide whether the Eagles would be better off without Priddis wasting so much ball, or worse off because they wouldn't be able to get it as much in the first place. More than those videos, they should run through Eagles stoppages with and without him and see what the results are.

All in all a Priddis Brownlow win cements his mediocrity in their side, hopefully taking midfield time away from Yeo, Sheed and co. Such can only be good for us.

This wont be a popular opinion on this board but I believe some results in this years players MVP are that of a protest vote, Selwood behind a fair bit in the voting because players are sick of his ducking and staging. Fyfe got a heap of votes because he was wrongly inelligible for the Brownlow this year, for example. Remember this is my opinion.

And the Brownlow is a stats award anyway, and there have been some suss results in that as well. In 2010 Swan was far and away the best player for the year. However Judd won the medal surprisingly which led to criticism. The next year, Swan (who didn't nearly have as good a year as the year before) won with a record number of votes) ended up winning with the highest tally ever. I suspect the umpires were well aware of the previous year criticism and judges Swan a bit easier, which led to more vote. Place your house on Fyfe winning next year for a similar reason, plus he is a damn good player as well.

The coaches MVP is the best individual award IMO in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This wont be a popular opinion on this board but I believe some results in this years players MVP are that of a protest vote, Selwood behind a fair bit in the voting because players are sick of his ducking and staging. Fyfe got a heap of votes because he was wrongly inelligible for the Brownlow this year, for example. Remember this is my opinion.

And the Brownlow is a stats award anyway, and there have been some suss results in that as well. In 2010 Swan was far and away the best player for the year. However Judd won the medal surprisingly which led to criticism. The next year, Swan (who didn't nearly have as good a year as the year before) won with a record number of votes) ended up winning with the highest tally ever. I suspect the umpires were well aware of the previous year criticism and judges Swan a bit easier, which led to more vote. Place your house on Fyfe winning next year for a similar reason, plus he is a damn good player as well.

Two different awards aren't they ?
MVP judged by peers and the coaches' award, the other.
Nat Fyfe effectively picked up both. He was without doubt the outstanding player of the comp this year.

Fyfe didn't win the coaches one. Coaches act in a professional manner and vote accordingly and honestly.

Fyfe was leading up right until his suspension, and was overtaken by Gray in the last two games when he obviously couldn't poll. Fyfe was also ahead of Ablett (just) at the time of Ablett's injury. He scored the most votes / game given that he played in 4 games less than Gray - and that includes more votes / game than Ablett. That's why Fred Ziffel said "effectively" won both, even though clearly he didn't.

Fyfe didn't win the coaches one. Coaches act in a professional manner and vote accordingly and honestly.

You were going well for a while. I said he ******* effectively won both; If he hadn't been ****ed over with suspension in the Hawks game he would have won that award. He was well ahead in the coaches' vote.
That's what I said. He effectively won both if it wasn't for a pack of campaigners.

Reckon you are right. If a player is constantly trying to fool the umpire into giving him free kick, doubt the umpire will have a high opinion of him and give him the votes.

Not too sure about the sympathy votes for Fyfe though, I thought it may work the other way too, where umpire think it is pointless to give him votes since he can't win it anyway.

Good on Priddis for winning the Brownlow. Who decided that the best and fairest had to be a flashy player or come from a top 8 team anyway.

These conspiracy theories for the last game are just ludicrous. Do people seriously believe that tripe?

The 24 votes he received to that point show that the umpires often gave him more votes than they should have. It was just another example, which happened to be in the last round.

As contrived as the AFL can be on certain things, this is one area where it would be beyond ridiculous for them to interfere.

Out of curiosity, who were the voting umpires in those last games? Wouldn't mind it at all if someone asking them if they really gave priddis two votes in that game...

It is moot.
Gillon could have read out whatever name he wanted or pre-altered the slip before the count.
Or, the umpires could indeed have given Priddis two votes under direct instruction.

These conspiracy theories for the last game are just ludicrous. Do people seriously believe that tripe?

The 24 votes he received to that point show that the umpires often gave him more votes than they should have. It was just another example, which happened to be in the last round.

As contrived as the AFL can be on certain things, this is one area where it would be beyond ridiculous for them to interfere.

Yes, I do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back