BROWNLOW WATCH: Pridda

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I think what people need to understand about Brownlow Medal voting (and any football award where the umpires gives the votes) is this:

* Umpires discuss at each break - quarter time, half time and three quarter time - who they think is playing well
* They do not look at the stats sheet after a match
* Umpires are really only concerned with their part of the ground therefore once the ball leaves their 'zone' they turn their attention to what is going on around them to watch for player's holding etc. This point is important because if you see a player regularly win the ball in congested situations, tackle a lot and always around the play like Priddis is, then you will always get their attention. Umpires won't always focus on the disposal so much because at the forefront of their mind is whether they need to pay a free kick or not. That being said players do stand out.
* Finally, it is not that surprising that the league's highest possession winner, second highest clearance player and third highest tackler received a lot of votes. Priddis is one of the most consistent players in the competition and always touched the ball 20 times or more in every game this season. So, good luck to him. You can't begrudge a player winning the Brownlow Medal because others have voted for him.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
I think what people need to understand about Brownlow Medal voting (and any football award where the umpires gives the votes) is this:

* Umpires discuss at each break - quarter time, half time and three quarter time - who they think is playing well
* Umpires are really only concerned with their part of the ground therefore once the ball leaves their 'zone' they turn their attention to what is going on around them to watch for player's holding etc. This point is important because if you see a player regularly win the ball in congested situations, tackle a lot and always around the play like Priddis is, then you will always get their attention. Umpires won't always focus on the disposal so much because at the forefront of their mind is whether they need to pay a free kick or not. That being said players do stand out.
* Finally, it is not that surprising that the league's highest possession winner, second highest clearance player and third highest tackler received a lot of votes. Priddis is one of the most consistent players in the competition and always touched the ball 20 times or more in every game this season. So, good luck to him. You can't begrudge a player winning the Brownlow Medal because others have voted for him.

Agree on all points.

You also can't state that this resolves the Priddis dilemma. It changes nothing.

Although I suspect, eventually, it will lead to discussions about the significance of the medal - what it actually stands for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers

Pretty sure they do

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
No the umpires don't look at the stats sheet. There was a video on either Fox or Channel 7 this year going through game day for the umpires and they clearly stated that they don't access any statistical information, they vote on their discussions throughout the day and decide within 30 minutes after the match.

No the umpires don't look at the stats sheet. There was a video on either Fox or Channel 7 this year going through game day for the umpires and they clearly stated that they don't access any statistical information, they vote on their discussions throughout the day and decide within 30 minutes after the match.

Well clearly they saw something miraculous from Priddis in round 23 vs the gold coast.

There were better players in all areas of the ground from our team.

placebo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Although I suspect, eventually, it will lead to discussions about the significance of the medal - what it actually stands for.

It's always been the most overrated medal. There's absolutely no reason why it should be considered our most prestigious award. The opinions of the umpires are not sacred, and there's no reason they should be viewed above others, it's always been a bit silly.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
It's always been the most overrated medal. There's absolutely no reason why it should be considered our most prestigious award. The opinions of the umpires are not sacred, and there's no reason they should be viewed above others, it's always been a bit silly.

And when an outsider wins in Bradbury style it inevitably eventually gives air to those who would like to change it in various ways so that the best player actually gets recognised ...

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)

It's the most prestigious award because it has the best PR and a prime time slot during grand final week. Like anything in sport it's all about the hype.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Cut the Bradbury shite. He polled well because he plays consistently all year - to the best of his ability. Keep twisting everything to your own bitter view on this all you like BUT it won't change this one fact:

Priddis won. He deserved to win because he played solid and consistent all year. Fairly. He did everything his coach asked from him and has been rewarded.

It takes a team to win the flag...not one player...ask Brownlow medalist Gary Ablett from Gold Coast.
Who's team went from fifth to 11th after he got injured...

jakethebear

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers
So he's Bradbury. Awesome. How exactly does that warrant the "haters have no idea" posts that you and others are posting?

The criticism of Matt is that he can't play the role he plays and us win anything. The fact he Bradburys a Brownlow doesn't alter that.

The fact he's now got the highest award in the land. An award our 1990's greats couldn't get is, a touch, awkward and embarassing... He's not even in Don Pykes class and Pykey was a fair way behind the really great players in that era ... It's a great personal achievement but **** me it diminishes the award ...

Don't really understand how people can say Priddis didn't deserve it. Fact is, 13 times this year the umpires judged him to best one of the best three players playing. If Gary Abblett hadn't been injured, if Fyfe hadn't been suspended then it might (/would) have been different. But it wasn't, and so Priddis has the Brownlow.

Its like saying Dan Ricciardo didn't deserve his 3 Grand Prix wins, because they only happened due to issues with the two front runners. However, Ricciardo was good enough to be in the position to make the most of it, and so he deserves the wins.

So does Priddis. Bloody Legend!

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Don't really understand how people can say Priddis didn't deserve it. Fact is, 13 times this year the umpires judged him to best one of the best three players playing. If Gary Abblett hadn't been injured, if Fyfe hadn't been suspended then it might (/would) have been different. But it wasn't, and so Priddis has the Brownlow.

Its like saying Dan Ricciardo didn't deserve his 3 Grand Prix wins, because they only happened due to issues with the two front runners. However, Ricciardo was good enough to be in the position to make the most of it, and so he deserves the wins.

So in the post you quoted where did I say he didn't deserve it?

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
No offense meant, but the fact that you say 'it diminishes the award' implies that it is undeserved.

Fair enough.

I understand how the award works and why Matt therefore stood s half decent chance of a high finish. Once you are say top 5, an injury here or there, the odd lucky vote and you win. So in that sense, I understand how he won and that he "deserves to win".

I just think many, (most?) still see it as the award for the best AFL player of year 20xx and in that sense the award is diminished by players who simply aren't.

The award is diminished by Shane Woewodin winning it and also by players like Matthews and Carey not winning it.

So one increasingly sees it as the sort of FA Cup of football medals. An award for what exactly? And one that most take some enjoyment out of winning but don't take it as seriously as they once did as a measure of "the best". It's nice when the best player actually wins it, which does happen sometimes but when a guy who isn't in the best 30 or so gets it, then I think as THE best and fairest its diminished.

Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, GSW Bandwagoner

Yeah, that Ricciardo is a plodder if ever I saw one ;)

Johnno22

Club Legend
Feb 8, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Carlton
Fair enough.

I understand how the award works and why Matt therefore stood s half decent chance of a high finish. Once you are say top 5, an injury here or there, the odd lucky vote and you win. So in that sense, I understand how he won and that he "deserves to win".

I just think many, (most?) still see it as the award for the best AFL player of year 20xx and in that sense the award is diminished by players who simply aren't.

The award is diminished by Shane Woewodin winning it and also by players like Matthews and Carey not winning it.

So one increasingly sees it as the sort of FA Cup of football medals. An award for what exactly? And one that most take some enjoyment out of winning but don't take it as seriously as they once did as a measure of "the best". It's nice when the best player actually wins it, which does happen sometimes but when a guy who isn't in the best 30 or so gets it, then I think as THE best and fairest its diminished.

If it was an award for the Best & Meanest Matthews would have won six.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Yes. He was. But still, having watched him play he was just a terrific player who was hard.

Depends what you intend by "mean", there was one infamous incident but he wasn't IMO any sort of off the ball thug.

If that's what you're suggesting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back