BROWNLOW WATCH: Pridda

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. He was. But still, having watched him play he was just a terrific player who was hard.

Depends what you intend by "mean", there was one infamous incident but he wasn't IMO any sort of off the ball thug.

If that's what you're suggesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I watched Matthews play many games and he is no doubt the most complete player I have ever witnessed , mind you he was no angel, not particularly dirty but he was how would you say, a littleover exuberant on occasions.

It was generally accepted in Victoria that despite being the best player he would never win a Brownlow being a touch less than fair at times.

Lou Richards nicknamed him Lethal after a string of these little indiscretions and the name stuck.

He would have to change his game with today's game rules and the MRP.

I watched Matthews play many games and he is no doubt the most complete player I have ever witnessed , mind you he was no angel, not particularly dirty but he was how would you say, a littleover exuberant on occasions.

It was generally accepted in Victoria that despite being the best player he would never win a Brownlow being a touch less than fair at times.

Lou Richards nicknamed him Lethal after a string of these little indiscretions and the name stuck.

He would have to change his game with today's game rules and the MRP.

He's the 3rd highest vote getter in Brownlow history. He was 3rd twice. He was FAIREST & best at his club 8 times. One indiscretion aside he was no worse in "indiscretions" than half the league.

He was also arguably the finest player of all time.

That his name isn't on the Brownlow medal honour role & Priddis, Woewodin & Libba are is awkward ...

He's the 3rd highest vote getter in Brownlow history. He was 3rd twice. He was FAIREST & best at his club 8 times. One indiscretion aside he was no worse in "indiscretions" than half the league.

That his name isn't on the Brownlow medal honour role & Priddis, Woewodin & Libba are is awkward ...
No argument from me on that.

Matthews is actually 12th all time if you take into account the double voting by umpires in the 70s (interesting Brett Harvey, Scott West and Sam Mitchell have more career votes than him). I am nitpicking though as he is a great player. Would love to see how he would go in today's game.

Interestingly Priddis moved past Gary Ablett senior in total votes this year. Also GA Junior need only 10 votes to move into first all-time (Judd needs 10 as well, but you would assume even if Judd got 10 Ablett would get more).

Here's the link for people that are interested http://afltables.com/afl/brownlow/totals0.html

It was a different time, but he was still no stranger to the cheap shot

It was a different time, but he was still no stranger to the cheap shot

Different game. Not too much that was anything to get excited about there. Nothing one didn't cop as a decent player every week.

Be a bit of whining from the current generation though one suspects :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3rd report, sure, but will only be illegible if found guilty. It was most likely be thrown out.

Bullshit. Lead with the arm, copped him in the head with the elbow, then followed through with the upper body, at least one of those had to be classified as high and negligent, if not deliberate. He should cop a fine, which will be 3 fines, 1 week out, brownlow choke, 2013 GF style. Suck s**t bitch lips!!

I think it will be thrown out, but even if it was significant it would still be thrown out. And Hodge will get the star treatment.

Fyfe won't go out. Trust me.
He might not, but he should. Ordinarily I would say his contact deserves a fine, but that is not available due to his poor record this year. Therefore they either suspend him or let him off. Given his poor record he should be suspended IMO, but the AFL will likely be gutless and let him off so they don't take the heat should he get the most votes in the Brownlow.

Careless, head high contact, low impact = fine for everyone else in the league. My bet is they determine it to be insufficient contact and once again show how stupid the system is.

Bullshit. Lead with the arm, copped him in the head with the elbow, then followed through with the upper body, at least one of those had to be classified as high and negligent, if not deliberate. He should cop a fine, which will be 3 fines, 1 week out, brownlow choke, 2013 GF style. Suck s**t bitch lips!!
Watch the slowed down replay. Absolutely nothing in it. Jacobs staged just a little too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back